Author Topic: 12 February Kent Coast  (Read 9514 times)

Re: 12/13 February
« Reply #25 on: 08 February, 2011, 07:24:07 pm »
As I discovered today, most of Cutty Sark Gardens is currently a) Behind Heras fencing and b) Mostly dug up.

A convenient RV spot may therefore be 50m to the south, outside St*rb*cks - just as you come in to the CSG bit from the main road.

Mice

« Reply #26 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:14:43 pm »
This sounds good - although I dont understand all the abbreviations!  Where and when - and we dont have to do the Tunnel under the thames do we? M

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #27 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:26:17 pm »
Mice, the only abbreviations you need are:

RV=rendezvous
CSG=Cutty Sark Gardens

Plan is to meet at the Starbucks at Greenwich for departure at 0830 on Saturday. Postcode for your swanky Iphone satnav is SE10 9BL.

I'll try to remember to bring the stem, so we can have more fettling fun.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:37:23 pm »
How far do you reckon it is, Jurek?  You must have done this route (or similar) several times.
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:00:56 am »
How far do you reckon it is, Jurek?  You must have done this route (or similar) several times.

Greenwich to Whitstable, using this route is 60 miles.
Other bale outs are available...
Faversham 52
Sittingbourne 42
Rochester 30.

Take your pick.

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:00:37 am »
You can just see Starbucks on this view from Streetview, it's directly ahead if you zoom in a bit (with the signs "...BUCKS COFFEE").

Typically in the past we've sat around a bit further North of that, looking out over the Thames, with the construction site which houses the slightly smoking remains of the Cutty Sark just behind us, but presumably they've found it necessary to block the area a bit more at the moment.

Can you still get to the tunnel entrance, or have they taken this opportunity to close that as well, and do some of the work on the lifts that they've been threatening to do for a while?

I'm up for this ride, although how far I get will depend on how badly my knees decide to start playing silly buggers.  In the past I've generally just cycled across to Greenwich, it's probably less than an hour from Croydon.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:05:32 am »
You can get to the tunnel (but it is out of service for the next four weeks or so), as well as to the river at the pointy end of the Cutty Sark. Most of the rest of CSG is either fenced off or has Portakabin site offices on it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:47:18 am »
I'll catch the 8.54 from Sarfend Central to Grays (9.31). 15 minute ride to the Bridge, hopefully a lift will arrive shortly, and then I'll head to Greenhithe. I ought to be there in plenty of time for 10.30.

I have your mobile no., Jurek, and I believe you have mine. We can have textual intercourse.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:53:24 am »
60 miles is good for us, and we can maybe get tea from some Whitstable residents we know :)
Getting there...

« Reply #34 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:59:50 am »
I'll catch the 8.54 from Sarfend Central to Grays (9.31). 15 minute ride to the Bridge, hopefully a lift will arrive shortly, and then I'll head to Greenhithe. I ought to be there in plenty of time for 10.30.

Hmm.  I recon it's about 50 miles from here to the bridge, so I'd need to leave here at about 6.30, thrash down through Herts and Essex, catch the 'bagger on the north side, change into non-sweaty kit then lunch and a train train home..   Hmm indeed.  Lemme check the weather & wife forecast for the w/end..

« Reply #35 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:03:14 am »
Ummm... Does that mean we should expect to see you on the south side Mike?

« Reply #36 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:20:27 am »
ooh yes, I forgot about that bit. Yes, would see you on the south side.  Still doing negotiations..

« Reply #37 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:26:22 am »
ooh yes, I forgot about that bit. Yes, would see you on the south side.  Still doing negotiations..

Good!
Just so's we're clear..... the current plan is to meet Wow outside Asda in Greenhithe, ride on from there to Rochester (15 or so miles) for a half way stop, and on from there to Whitstable.
It'd be great if you're able to join us.

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:42:54 am »
Can I join in? I might be on fixed due to lack of other suitable fettled bikes (LHT has a dodgy rear wheel at present). Is it rideable on fixed? 

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:54:44 am »
Is it rideable on fixed?  

It'd be good to see you  :thumbsup:
It has occasionally been ridden on fixed (not by me). I would describe it as rolling, with a few lumpy bits. None of the hills are very long and, with the exception of the one just outside of Sittingbourne, none are particularly steep (in the Portnalls / Turners Hill / Ditchling kind of way).

Now that I've said that, that's probably going to get me into a whole load of trouble and pain.

« Reply #40 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:59:29 am »
I would have guessed it's fine on fixed, I've certainly cycled the FNRttC on SingleSpeed (about 65") several times with no problems (which I'm assuming is pretty much the planned route).

The highest point is only 175 feet, and that's not climbed from sea level, and doesn't look too steep on that plot.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #41 on: 09 February, 2011, 11:41:04 am »
Hmm, having not ridden fixed for about three years, perhaps this is not the best ride for it...  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 09 February, 2011, 11:43:00 am »
Hmm, having not ridden fixed for about three years, perhaps this is not the best ride for it...  ;)

If we can arrange a meeting, tandem:D

« Reply #43 on: 09 February, 2011, 11:52:26 am »

If we can arrange a meeting, tandem:D
Oh YES!!!

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #44 on: 09 February, 2011, 12:07:26 pm »
Go on Lass - You have cycled up Skipton Old road on a fixed - how can a little southern pimple scare you  ;)

« Reply #45 on: 09 February, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »
Go on Lass - You have cycled up Skipton Old road on a fixed - how can a little southern pimple scare you  ;)
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that.  :) I think I'd prefer to stoke Wowbagger up the pimples, however.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 09 February, 2011, 02:51:44 pm »
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that.  :) I think I'd prefer to stoke Wowbagger up the pimples, however.

Oi! You've been peeping!  :-[ :-*

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #47 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »
I may be up for this as well. 

Due to the slow-ish trains to St Pancras first thing and then allowing 45 minutes to get across to CSG, I'd have to leave home by 6.30 to get to CSG for 8.30.  However, I'm thinking this could be an excellent excuse for checking out a direct route from home to the Dartford Bridge, which I need to do anyway at some point. 

If I still leave at 6.30, a quick check shows it's only 55 miles to Greenhithe,  so I should be able to get to Asda for 10.30.

I'll confirm tomorrow once I've worked out what I'm doing.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #48 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »
This sounds like a good ride. Prior commitments of the studying kind prevent me from attending, I'm afraid  :(

« Reply #49 on: 11 February, 2011, 01:13:27 am »
I'm out, I'm afraid. Work too crazy and I'm shattered. I'm still working, in fact.  :(