Author Topic: 12th July - Enigma collection day - Polegate, East Sussex  (Read 13000 times)

Re: 12th July - Enigma collection day - Polegate, East Sussex
« Reply #50 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:35:43 pm »
Not unlike herself, Peli's bike is very pretty indeed and, as has been said elsewhere, a little experimentation with seat position and stem lengths/angles will, I'm sure,  make it into a very well suited machine.

For my part I'd like to thank Sgt. Pluck for stitching together the route using the place names Pete suggested. (As well as carrying my somewhat redundant maps)
Lovely lovely lanes, lots of little ups and downs, one or two big ups and downs and one utter b@$t@rd (the North Downs).

Thanks for the company and the ferocious pace  - I'll confess to having found  a few sections 'challenging'.
But a great day out in all.

Peli I wish you many a happy mile with what is a very fine bike.

« Reply #51 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:42:01 pm »
My max speed was 75.8 km / h.

And I know that's fairly accurate as my computer speed and GPS speed are pretty much in agreement.

:D

Still to crack the 50 mph though.

Pete

« Reply #52 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:51:02 pm »
Glad to have been of help with the route - albeit in a rather semi-detached way.  :)  Hope you all enjoyed the ride.  Honest Guv, I didn't summon up the Fairies to waylay you, cross-my-heart!  :-[

Chalk Pit Lane?  Name rings a bell with me but I'm sure I've never cycled up it!   Got to remember, the North Downs are the North Downs and whichever way you take them, unless you pick a ridiculously easy and silly route (i.e. the A22 or the A23), you're climbing and climbing, no mistake!  I might have veered a bit west after Lingfield perhaps: towards Outwood, Bletchingley, Chaldon, Farthing Down (and a glorious swooping descent into Coulsdon but beware the cattle grids!).  That still leaves you Hilltop Lane which is quite a b***er with a wicked little hairpin bend near the top, perhaps a tad easier than Chalk Pit Lane or White Hill.  Anyway something for you guys to consider trying next time you come that way!

Good luck with the new bike Peli!

« Reply #53 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:55:35 pm »
Thanks Pete. I do need to explore more. Threads like these are invaluable for their local knowledge.

Chalk Pit Lane?  Name rings a bell with me but I'm sure I've never cycled up it!

I've never cycled up it either  :-[

More hills tomorrow as punishment.

Pete

« Reply #54 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:07:46 pm »
Although I just mentioned Hilltop Lane, that's one I've never managed - and I tried it three times over the past two years (my son, who was with me on one occasion, found it a doddle of course - but then he's a guy who has done Cob Lane!)

My max speed was 75.8 km / h. ...Still to crack the 50 mph though. 
Once when walking (of course!) up the Wall (which is presumably where you clocked your 75.8 ), I met a group coming down who looked like were on top of that magical '50' at the time.  Hard to be sure of course!  I was for some reason on their side of the road at the time.  It was scary!  Worth another visit, but try the ascent too!

« Reply #55 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:12:36 pm »

Some walking, and a fair use of invective did take place in this area. :-[
I think the only member of today's party that can look anyone straight in the eye, and say "I rode it" has a new frame  ;)  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:13:17 pm »
Cob Lane's mind over matter; so short; the trick is to attack the first rise then plod the middle bit and keep lots back for the end. It's a lovely hill.

« Reply #57 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:14:28 pm »

Here's where we went:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Enigma120708

If I had known that you were going past the end of my road I would have stood on the corner to cheer you on, or even offered you a cup of tea.

Sounds as though, tyre events aside, you had a good day. The result with the bike looks good too.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pete

« Reply #58 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:21:45 pm »
I think the only member of today's party that can look anyone straight in the eye, and say "I rode it" has a new frame  ;)  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well Done Peli!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Put the blokes to shame!

Cob Lane's mind over matter; so short; the trick is to attack the first rise then plod the middle bit and keep lots back for the end. It's a lovely hill.
There speaks the man who, I believe, organises the Mid Sussex Hilly which prides itself on taking in the aforesaid bit of road.  If I were a younger and fitter man who went in for Audax and these sort of things, I'd probably be muttering "b***ard!" at this point... :demon:

« Reply #59 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:25:15 pm »

Yes, I went too fast at the start of Chalk Pit Lane as I had no idea how long it was going to go on for. The language I directed at passing / not passing vehicles was quite shocking.

Peli's Enigma really is superb and needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. May the wind always be at your back  :)

Sorry Adrian, I'd no idea you were in the part of the world and I didn't post the route in advance.

« Reply #60 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:26:43 pm »
I would have stood on the corner to cheer you on, or even offered you a cup of tea.

Oddly enough, I did think about informing my cohorts of your general whereabouts as we passed through, but didn't.
A couple of k up the road I announced to Peli - 'My mum lives up that road' - but I think the sight of the lycra clad titanium trio may not have been well received.

« Reply #61 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:31:45 pm »
Jurek claims he saw a UFO but has not revealed any more about this since. I can only assume the little men told him to keep shtum.

Is there anything you can tell us?  :P

Martin

« Reply #62 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:34:27 pm »
There speaks the man who, I believe, organises the Mid Sussex Hilly which prides itself on taking in the aforesaid bit of road.  If I were a younger and fitter man who went in for Audax and these sort of things, I'd probably be muttering "b***ard!" at this point... :demon:

indeed it does and I do; and this year Cob Lane is but the beginning of a veritable feast of lovely lanes on the 1AAA Hillier; think Cherry Deaks Bishopstone and Pickwell; plus Slough Green and that nasty back up to Chailey Heritage (which featured on last year's FNRTTC to Cuckmere Haven) at the end  ;)

Hills are your Friend  :)

« Reply #63 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:36:14 pm »
Jurek claims he saw a UFO but has not revealed any more about this since. I can only assume the little men told him to keep shtum.

Is there anything you can tell us?  :P

Now you're being deliberately provocative.
I've scanned the sat pictures of the Bikely route, looking for what I saw.
While I was doing so, a message came in via the transmitter / receiver located in my wisdom tooth.
It said "Tell the Pluckster (for that is his new name) nothing, he pumps latex one time too many"  :P

« Reply #64 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:43:20 pm »
"Tell the Pluckster (for that is his new name) nothing, he pumps latex one time too many"  :P

Understood  :-X

« Reply #65 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:15:23 pm »
Harhar. The Pluckster is indeed his new name.

Well coined, Peli ;)

« Reply #66 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:21:47 pm »
Not unlike herself, Peli's bike is very pretty indeed and, as has been said elsewhere, a little experimentation with seat position and stem lengths/angles will, I'm sure,  make it into a very well suited machine.

For my part I'd like to thank Sgt. Pluck for stitching together the route using the place names Pete suggested. (As well as carrying my somewhat redundant maps)
Lovely lovely lanes, lots of little ups and downs, one or two big ups and downs and one utter b@$t@rd (the North Downs).

Thanks for the company and the ferocious pace  - I'll confess to having found  a few sections 'challenging'.
But a great day out in all.

Peli I wish you many a happy mile with what is a very fine bike.

Just one other thing.
There was a lot of laughter on today's ride.
For that alone, I thank you both.
It's that, that sets it aside  from other rides.

« Reply #67 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:27:12 pm »
Just one other thing.

Agreed, I had a really excellent time  ;D

Are you saying that, apart from today, I'm a miserable git?  ;)

« Reply #68 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:28:01 pm »
Yes, we had a right old giggle.

But please remember not to make me laugh when I'm riding up a hill. It makes my legs as useful as poo. It is most inconvenient.  ::-)

;D

« Reply #69 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:29:46 pm »
Just one other thing.

Agreed, I had a really excellent time  ;D

The funniest part for me was seeing Pluckster's face upon setting eyes on all t h a t   c u r v y  t u b i n g.  ;D

Don't worry, your Van Nic is still lovely.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #70 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »
* Paddington stare *

« Reply #71 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:36:25 pm »

I think I can probably surpass you in the 'Uncle Fester Look' stakes any day of the week. ;)

The funniest part for me was seeing Pluckster's face upon setting eyes on all t h a t   c u r v y  t u b i n g.  ;D

Don't worry, your Van Nic is still lovely.  :thumbsup:

Mate, round tubes are good., and outpaced a couple of other Ti bikes for the most part of today's return trip. :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #72 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:25:27 pm »
Tis looking good! I can't wait to see it in the flesh and take it for a spin :P
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #73 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:27:38 pm »
Great looking bike!

Hope you manage to tweak it enough to make it right for you.
Getting there...

« Reply #74 on: 13 July, 2008, 12:09:51 am »
Sam - I've told them you might be interested in the old one - let me know. ;)

And yes, Sgt Pluck and his round tubes were definitely flying today!