Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109608 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #650 on: 15 September, 2008, 07:01:30 am »
I've been stopped for speeding twice already, and let off with a slapped wrist both times  ;D

Diplomatic immunity, innit?   8)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

alchemy

« Reply #651 on: 15 September, 2008, 08:38:29 am »
The wildflowers are out and Kings Park is chock a block with Kangaroo Paws, Grevilleas, Banksias, everything  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :D :D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #652 on: 15 September, 2008, 08:40:45 am »
I've been stopped for speeding twice already, and let off with a slapped wrist both times  ;D

You explained to them that speed limits don't apply to bicycles?  Or were you astride an infernal combustion engined machine?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

alchemy

« Reply #653 on: 15 September, 2008, 08:47:35 am »
You explained to them that speed limits don't apply to bicycles?  Or were you astride an infernal combustion engined machine?

Surely if a bicycle is classed as traffic, just like cars etc, then they are subject to the same road rules (ie speed limits et al) as other road users. Aren't they??? Assuming, of course, that Mr L was on a bicycle

At least that's the case over here

« Reply #654 on: 15 September, 2008, 10:54:39 am »
You explained to them that speed limits don't apply to bicycles?

I believe they do in the US, although like most things there each and every state will have a slightly different take on it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #655 on: 15 September, 2008, 11:50:35 am »
My son (4) can ride his bike :thumbsup:

He was at the wobbly stage - crashing as soon as he realised that I'd let go. We took him to Battersea Park yesterday where he was due to meet a friend. As we were early I set of with him alone and he continued to make wobbly progress but as soon as his friend arrived he forgot that I wasn't there  :-\ and shot off over the horizon :D
Cool    8)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #656 on: 15 September, 2008, 05:19:40 pm »
My new flat is ace- warm, comfy, spacious, tasteful (I didn't do the decorating LOL).
I've been sat around in T-shirt and shorts thinking that it's hot and the heating hasn't even been on (kitchen electrics shorted out Friday night when upstairs washing machine flooded. I wasn't happy but everything seems to be working now).
Going back to old flat- cold, dark, tired decour- is a bit of a shock but I only need to get the rest of my stuff out.
Lovely, lovely.

« Reply #657 on: 15 September, 2008, 11:51:33 pm »
Latest OU assignment in early! Two more to go (although I can forget one as it won't affect my final grade at all) and one more exam this year.

« Reply #658 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:12:02 am »
Latest OU assignment in early! Two more to go (although I can forget one as it won't affect my final grade at all) and one more exam this year.

Got my last one in but had to deliver it by hand to meet the deadline. Missed the third but that shouldn't matter as it will get a substitution score. Just got to learn 800 lines of Virgil now before the exam in 2 weeks.  :-(
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #659 on: 16 September, 2008, 10:04:26 am »
Got my last one in but had to deliver it by hand to meet the deadline.

I've done that, only it was a 50km cycle from work to my tutor's house and 40km back. It's almost as if I left it until the last minute on purpose.

« Reply #660 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:02:39 am »

I've done that, only it was a 50km cycle from work to my tutor's house and 40km back. It's almost as if I left it until the last minute on purpose.

longa tibi exsilia et uastum maris aequor arandum

(For you there is long exile and the vast surface of the sea to be ploughed) - Aeneid 2:780
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Chris S

« Reply #661 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:07:51 am »

(For you there is long exile and the vast surface of the sea to be ploughed) - Aeneid 2:780

You're opening yourself up for a barrage of mathematical gobbledygook...

« Reply #662 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:10:32 am »
:)

« Reply #663 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:49:13 am »

You're opening yourself up for a barrage of mathematical gobbledygook...

AXIOMATA SIVE LEGES MOTUS

Lex I: Corpus omne perseverare in statu suo quiescendi vel movendi uniformiter in directum, nisi quatenus a viribus impressis cogitur statum illum mutare.

Lex II: Mutationem motus proportionalem esse vi motrici impressae, et fieri secundum lineam rectam qua vis illa imprimitur.

Lex III: Actioni contrariam semper et aequalem esse reactionem: sive corporum duorum actiones in se mutuo semper esse aequales et in partes contrarias dirigi.

That kind of thing?

« Reply #664 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:54:37 am »
Funnily enough my latest module has included stuff on latin squares.

« Reply #665 on: 16 September, 2008, 07:44:47 pm »
My distributor didn't want to take me to dinner this evening so I got to go back to the hotel and have a sleep before listening to BBC radio (don't you just love the interweb) and finishing some "none urgent but must be done eventually" sort of work.
All in all, a great evening and they have lots of lovely Karl Fazer chocolate in the hotel lounge.
I have put lots in my bag  :thumbsup:
More good news- I'm not being picked up until 10.15 tomorrow morning (08.15 UK time) and the loud woman in the high heels has just left the lounge.
Must remember to get more chocolate before I go to bed.

Regulator

« Reply #666 on: 17 September, 2008, 09:19:38 am »

Surely if a bicycle is classed as traffic, just like cars etc, then they are subject to the same road rules (ie speed limits et al) as other road users. Aren't they??? Assuming, of course, that Mr L was on a bicycle

At least that's the case over here

In the UK, with the exception of Royal Parks and certain byelawed areas, speed limits only apply to motor vehicles.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #667 on: 17 September, 2008, 09:21:09 am »
My little sister and her other half (with the magnificent name Mervyn) have finally announced their engagement, much to my good, Catholic mother's delight, after several years of 'living in sin'.... :thumbsup:

I shall commence the search for a suitable titfer this afternoon!

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #668 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:57:13 am »
My Woodrup is back on the road! :D
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #669 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:44:41 pm »
My trousers are falling down!

why is this good news? Well its good news because it means I've lost a coupla inches round my waist....

YAY!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #670 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:52:04 pm »
I'm sure that Mrs T thinks this is good news - on two counts ;)
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #671 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:54:02 pm »

Always bringing up Thatcher, you can't help it can you!

;) ;D ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #672 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:55:11 pm »
OMG - you have put a horrid, horrid image in my head now.

And Tiermat will probably need years of therapy...
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #673 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:55:31 pm »

Always bringing up Thatcher, you can't help it can you!

;) ;D ;D

Ssssh don't let my wife here that, she'll kill me, then hunt down you two....

;D

Rest assured this Mrs T is much much much nicer that the Tory one
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #674 on: 19 September, 2008, 03:54:17 pm »

Rest assured this Mrs T is much much much nicer that the Tory one

You really shouldn't have to say that.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]