Author Topic: Getting started in Audax  (Read 10228 times)

Getting started in Audax
« on: 29 July, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
Hi everyone,

This year has gone well for me - i've gone from virtually no miles each year to close to 2000miles so far this year. The focus of this effort was riding to and from work and a few weekends out with mates in preparation for a coast to coast ride i completed earlier this month.

Now with the focus of the coast to coast ride done i'm thinking what i can turn my attention too and thought i'd like to try Audax.

How did you all start in Audax? Can you share your first/second ride stories etc. There's a 200k on Aug 10th "The Cheshire Cat" from Trowell near to me and i'm thinking of giving it a go but wouldn't know the first place to start/things to carry etc.

Just after the benefit of your experience here.

Cheers.

Re: Getting started in Audax
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »
hello, new here myself too....

I read this.... http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/audax_frames-Audax_Riding-1012.php

and carry; pump, 2 tubes, puncture repair kit, cash, waterproof jacket, bonk rations (pork scratchings and a couple of chocolatey energy bar things), tube of nuun, bottles

hth

John

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2013, 08:47:33 pm »
Hi, I'm relatively new to the whole audaxing lark so hopefully my thoughts can be of some help, albeit from the perspective of someone with fairly limited experience.

I've done a bunch of 100s and a few 200s, just so you know where I'm coming from. I hope to do a 300 and maybe a 400 before too long, but struggle with finding rides that aren't too hilly and are sensibly reachable from home. I don't do camping and tend to be a little wary if it's going to cost me £6 to enter an event, £60 on fuel or train tickets and another £80-100 for a room for the night either side of the ride (I don't fancy driving home right after a 300 or longer ride!)

The main thing is to take enough stuff to get yourself out of trouble if it comes calling. The other main thing is not to take too much stuff. Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium where you've got enough tools and parts to fix your bike if the most likely things break but not so much you're weighed down with all the tools. Of course the worst case if your bike breaks is you call for a taxi to take you to the nearest station and then get a train back to the start or back home.

The kind of thing I'll usually take is a waterproof layer, thermal layer during the colder months, spare tubes, pump, multi tool, chain tool, small adjustable spanner, spare batteries for lights/GPS and maybe an extra bottle of water if it's a hot day. I prefer not to carry the extra weight of the water but on a hot day the freedom to just refill both bottles in my bottle cages is often worth hauling the extra weight. After breaking a gear cable on a recent 200 I've started carrying a spare with me (they are very small and light), and I figure having a spare set of brake pads doesn't hurt for the size and weight of them. I'll also take some cheap chocolate bars and jelly babies or similar so I've got a ready source of easy calories if I need them part way around. I usually also carry a lock so I can secure the bike at controls. I also carry a tube of High5 pink grapefruit electrolyte tablets. I tried a couple of other electrolyte drinks and found that powder-based drinks work fine but are an almighty faff, I don't like the other High5 flavours much, and the pink grapefruit ones work just fine for me.

My first ever Audax was the New Forest 100 in April 2012, the one that was nearly rained off. People described it as being like the swim stage of a triathlon except having to take your bike along. I was riding it with my wife, who was attempting to ride 100k for the first time ever, so I carried everything both of us could possibly need. That meant two thermal layers, two waterproof layers, a 2-litre bottle of water, a cable lock to secure the bikes to each other, a spare chain, far more chocolate bars and jelly babies than we could possibly have eaten (but I didn't know that at the time), and a whole bunch of other stuff. Enough to fill two panniers, as it happened. Which made climbing the larger hills far more work than it needed to be, although it wasn't a particular problem as I was riding at my wife's pace.

For my first ever 200 it was a gloriously sunny day, if anything a little too hot. I had a bunch of chocolate bars and jelly babies (although far less than before), I think I'd taken a 2-litre bottle of water as well as the bottles in my cages, but this time I had one pannier maybe half full. The thing I learned on that ride is not to fiddle with stuff right before a long ride - I was using my new SPD shoes and pedals in anger for the first time and had to adjust my cleats at least four times during the ride. I'd adjusted my saddle position, only to have to lower it within the first 5 miles because it wasn't comfortable any more and I didn't have the inclination to endlessly fiddle with adjusting it up/down, forward/backward and tilting the nose.

During my most recent 200 I learned that despite it being abundantly obvious that steel cables don't just snap, actually they do. My front gear cable broke and I couldn't remember how to kludge the bike to make it work properly. The guy I was riding with kludged it for me so I could get the 50-odd km to the next control using just the middle chainring, where the controller was kind enough to give me a spare gear cable. I had no idea how to fit a gear cable so the controller and my riding buddy did it for me while I watched. So I not only learned that a spare gear cable is worth carrying, I also learned how to fit one if it ever should break.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
Just do it!

Try always to remain within your personal comfort zone. Don't allow yourself to get
Too hot
too cold
too wet
too tired
too hungry
too thirsty
too desperate for a toilet
too sore
too lost
too sunburnt

to continue.

You know how deal with these issues; make sure you have suitable kit to cope and don't burn yourself out.
Keep comfortable.
Keep going.
Learn how to reduce faffing.
Accept what works for YOU won't work for all.
Learn from experience.
Enjoy!
That is (almost) all.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »
How did you all start in Audax? Can you share your first/second ride stories etc. There's a 200k on Aug 10th "The Cheshire Cat" from Trowell near to me and i'm thinking of giving it a go but wouldn't know the first place to start/things to carry etc.

Just after the benefit of your experience here.

Like many here, I don't take Audax too seriously.  It's just another reason to do a bike ride, preferably sociably, and I was doing those (of up to about 200k) before I discovered Audax.  Inspired by the Dunwich Dynamo, I got into riding those sorts of distances unsupported and unaccompanied because that was simply the easiest way to do it: just get on your bike, ride, discover what doesn't work and find things which do.  Have a plan for when things go wrong.  I'm good with navigation and mechanical stuff and have a body that's A Bit Crap in various respects, so the self-sufficiency aspect came naturally.  The Fridays and indeed YACF provided additional inspiration for riding bikes a long way.

By the time I did my first Audax - a 100k - I was comfortable riding 200 with a full camping load.  Hence it wasn't a big deal, and other than getting my head round how brevet cards and info controls and things worked, I was mostly providing moral support to proper newbies (one of whom is now riding LEL).  I did a couple of 200s without incident, but DNFed my first attempt at a 300 due to bad planning and digestive problems.  Then the long winter came, and random illness, and I've been mostly DNSing 100s since.  Fingers crossed for next year, I suppose.

Beyond that, what hellymedic said.  You'll be surprised how far you can ride if you go a little bit slower than you might normally ride, and deal with niggles as soon as they appear.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:34:19 pm »
Lots of great advice here and as one hoping to start audaxing, very useful. All I need to do is find events close enough to home so that they fit in with family time!

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2013, 07:55:37 am »
Only difference to any other ride is that you have to check in at the control points to qualify as a finisher.

Very few people cant cycle quick enough so unless you get lost and do extra mileage the time limit shouldnt be a problem.

Unless your using GPS eiher make or buy a route card holder that attaches to the bars or stem ,follow the route on the card even if your in a group.If you dont know where on the card you are and the group rides off without you for some reason then its difficult.

I would do a 100 first to see how it all  goes then up the distance to whatever you can cope with.   Good Luck

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2013, 08:29:13 am »
Presumably if you are looking at riding the Cheshire Cat, you live in the Notts/Derby area.
My suggestion would be to look at joining a local cycling club like Beeston CC (if you live in Notts) or Derby Mercury (if you live nearer Derby)
I'm sure either club would welcome you on some of their weekend rides before you actually decide whether to become a member.
At the moment I think most of their keener audax riders are probably doing LEL but I'm sure they would be happy to pass on plenty of advice on their return.
Both club's websites are a mine of information and will give you an idea where and when to meet up for rides.
Hope this helps.

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2013, 09:09:50 am »
The time limit for a 200 is 14 hr 20 mins. Plan as if you’re going to get a puncture on each section between controls, ie four. It’ll take 15 mins to repair the puncture, so plan your riding speed so the 200 takes 13 hours 20 less time at stops, equals 12 hours.
That’s a 10.4 mph riding average between controls.
To achieve this, a flat road crusing speed of 12.4 mph should suffice. ( 20 kmh )

Anyone who tells you you need to keep up 17 – 18 mph on the road is talking out of their hat. Other ‘hat talkers’ speak of a 200 in less than 10 hours. Their description rhymes with ‘Ship’s anchor’.

Now the real PITA is literal. Pedalling a bicycle at such leisurely speeds lets the bodyweight sit firmly on the saddle. OK for short rides, but a PITA for 12 hours. Learn to mash. Ie, roll the cranks round dead slow in a huge gear with deliberate pedal pushes. Enough to lift the backside off the seat slightly. Doing this now and again relieves the constant friction of spinning.

Hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2013, 09:14:51 am »
My club chairman (and PBP veteran) suggested I try one and shepherded me around (mainly to ensure I "got" routesheet navigation and infos etc).  I had been cycling with the club for a while and he had noticed that I was getting to the end of the (100km) Sunday club runs adding on extra distance.  Having a "mentor" is a good way to get into new activities.

My basic advice for a new randonneur is just do it.  The only way to get experience in audax is to (almost) make mistakes and learn from them.  It's a bike ride that is a bit longer than most - so treat it as a bike ride first and foremost, but think about "what could go wrong" and "do I want to buy my way out of that problem, will I be able to buy my way out of the problem, or is it worth carrying something to cope with it should it arise".  Where you fall on that scale is very individual - people can give advice about what can go wrong and how to cope with it, you will need to figure out if you can be bothered lugging a portable workshop and kitchen  :)

read the notes at the start of the handbook (I realise thinking back that I read this many many times before venturing out on my first audax).

My audax virginity was taken by the Brass Monkeys 100 from South Coulsden in 2005.  No longer run, but was a good late winter/early spring ride organised by Tim Wainwright (Arrivee editor).  I did my first 200 a week or two after it, and soon progressed to 300s and beyond.

By the way, I assume you are aware that the Cheshire Cat 200 is at the harder end of events in the calendar.  Nice route though (I am entered this year; last did it in 2010 I think ).

« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2013, 09:40:18 am »
My first Audax was the ‘Staffordshire Lanes 100’ in 1994 as a non member.

First and foremost, ride a bike which has proved itself reliable enough to do the distance. Mine was my commute bike. Hand built by me and fully fitted with mudguards and safety handles.
My first membership Randonnee was The Castleton Classic in 1995. Same bike, dead reliable.

Try not to think of the whole ride. Think about several short sections with a cake waiting at the end of each.
“The first ten miles are the worst”. If you feel like crap and the first ten miles are ridden slowly, chances are the remaining 115 will be surprisingly pleasant. Going off like a raceboy in the first few miles will wreak its toll later.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2013, 10:02:45 am »
Hi, well I might as well add my 2p as my first audax was in January this year (2013).  I didn't bother with the 100 k stuff as I'd already done that on my own in training and had done a 100 mile ride in December as peace of mind training so that I knew I could do a 200 k before I started.  This sort of thing is invaluable for self confidence - at least for me.

So I knew I could do the distance but mechanical issues were my main issue along with little clue about nutrition along the way.  The latter I now think isn't all that important on a 200 k randonnee (it's very important on long randonnees however).  As longs as you eat *something* and you keep hydrated with electrolytes you should be fine provided you are fit enough.  My main issue was with mechanical stuff as I've said.  I only started cycling at all really six months earlier (May 2012 - leaving aside a couple of years of cycling 20 years ago and of course roving around on a raleigh as a kid in the 70s/80s) so I wasn't at all confident dealing with mechanical issues and I was naive in my equipment choice.
I turned up to Dr Foster's Winter Warmer in January with my spangly new roadbike sans mudguards and some pretty ropey kit in my saddlebag and pockets and as I now know to be over the top - a handlebar bag.  I had too much kit too - mostly caused by a bad experience earlier in 2012 when I'd been stranded by a very bad puncture miles from anywhere.  So I had a spare tyre in the bar bag along with other things - this is unnecessary on a 200 in my current opinion.
Bad kit - 1. bar bag  - cost me about £8 on ebay.  It was pish and no mistake - it held stuff but constantly drooped onto the front wheel causing friction.  This took away a lot of enjoyment as I was forced to wrap the handle around my hands and prevent this thereby focussing attention away from stuff like enjoying the view - braking - steering etc. 2.  No mudguards in winter.  In principle not a problem but this caused indirectly a near ride ending experience... 3.  CO2 pump.  In my saddlebag I'd had, for some time, a CO2 pump.  With no mudguards this had been sprayed and had rusted - I only found this out when I had a puncture about as far out from home as you can be (naturally).  I was also lost at this point as my newly acquired Garmin had gotten confused and I was off route and at the back of the field - so no help was coming.  The rust prevented it from piercing any of the CO2 cannisters so it was utterly useless.
Of course, I wasn't *that* naive - I had a back up pump.  One that had cost me about £3 in Tesco. It was shit but it did help enough to save the ride.  I had a several inner tubes and one that had been repaired turned out to be a liability but I managed to get one pumped up just enough that I managed to limp 12 miles to the next control town (Monmouth) where I was fortunate enough to find an open bike shop.  The credit card came out and a shiny new CO2 pump and new inner tubes were purchased and I was saved.
I used a list of villages we were passing through I'd constructed on my iphone to get me out of the Garmin issue (it ran out of battery too in the end - it was too new and the battery wasn't up to speed yet).

So I finished my first 200 km as the second to last rider home and with many lessons learned.  Ride leaner (i.e. less kit) - ride with good kit.  The shite pump got binned and replaced with a good one (topeak minimorph), crudguard mk2's were fitted to the roadbike and rustable kit now gets stored in ziplock bags.
I have (eventually) replaced the handlebar bag but only when I started doing really long randonnees (400 k and 600 k).

Utlimately the lesson learned was don't use false economy with kit.  You need *reliable* kit to ensure you finish.

Audax 2
The only populaire I've ridden.  My early audaxing career was seen originally by me as training for a very hilly Sportive I'd booked so I signed up for The Gospel Pass 150 k in February 2013 which is a AAA points grimpeur.   The lesson learned in this one was DON'T FETTLE TOO CLOSE TO THE EVENT, especially if, like me, you're still learning to do the bike mechanics yourself.  The week before this I'd been recommended on this site to buy a chain wear gauge to check, well, on chain wear.  I learned to my horror that both my bikes had horribly worn chains.  So I replaced both but was not good enough at gear indexing to do this properly on my roadbike and I had no spare cables  - so I lost my roadbike to the event and instead was left with the albeit lower geared Trek Hybrid I'd bought as my first bike.  I only really discovered this on the morning of the ride however and trying the bike out I discovered horrendous skipping going on with the chain on most of the gears.  A bit of twiddling improved but did not eliminate this and so everyone who heard the skipping knew who was behind them on the road that day. :facepalm:  I had very nearly zero bikes to ride an hour before I drove up to the start line.
Nevertheless I did make it round (buying a new cassette afterwards) although I did discover that day just how hard an audax can be as this was really hilly and I'm a big chap which doesn't help.  If you've got people above telling you your planned ride is tough then be prepared for it to be TOUGH!  These rides can be stunningly arduous if you're not used to it.

So that' the first two - the rest of my rides have also involved lessons but mostly of the nutritional sense.  My third audax was to be The Dean 300 k in March but this was the scene of a biblical snow storm and so I DNS'd that like nearly everyone else - it turned out to be the 2Battles ride from Tamworth in April.  I was much fitter and confident by now and stormed around that as the first finisher :D  After that the distances stepped up.  I rode a perm 300 k to replace the Dean in my by now planned SR series.  This was the Cambrian series 3A - a real stonkingly tough ride with several extremely evil climbs involved.  I managed it but used the wrong bike - I wanted the panniers of my hybrid to carry stuff - this made the bike heavy and I had to walk the nastiest of the climbs on that ride.  But again I did manage it and the lesson was plan more effectively.  I'd started at 2 am to get the night riding out of the way when I was fresh (my 400 k later taught me that this was a good plan!) but this meant that no decent shops were open for the first seven hours of the ride so I was struggling for food for quite a while and just as the shops opened the ride went into the desolated wastelands (aka beautiful scenery ;)) of Ceredigion in Wales where you are struggling to find a house, let alone a shop.  I've now in the last two months ridden a 400 km and 600 km ride to complete my SR series and I'll save lessons learned there for another time as you're only starting out.  Suffice to say that after my 600 km ride I have learned to start doing abdominal exercises as leaning on the bars has left both my hands with nerve problems (carpal tunnel on one and ulnal nerve swelling on both) and maybe get a bike fit.  Also I learned that I have come a long way in bike maintenance and I will now service my bike myself before big rides since I am very annoyed with the bodge job Evans have done with the gear cables on my roadbike.  Plus part of their service appeared to be to remove my nice hand friendly Bar Phaat tape and gel pads with their thinnest own-branded tape - I do not believe this helped my hands.
I will agree with others that a 600 km is actually slightly easier than a 400 km audax.  It's the sleep y'see.  The 400 km ride I did along with the 300 km perm nearly broke my soul - these were tough tough rides.  Very hard psychologically.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2013, 10:03:22 am »
When you get to the start let the organiser know that this is your first Audax.Hopefully you will find somebody nice to ride with a good riding companion would be an experianced rider,who is a bit slower than you.May the odds be forever in your favour :)

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2013, 10:29:05 am »
Tips?

- Set yourself an easy pace and save any sprinting for the final 5km rather than the first.
     - Don't get dragged into a (too) fast pace by experienced Audaxers
     - Some of those ancient old blokes will keep up that pace for 200km and leave you weeping by the roadside with 150km left to ride.
- Carry a couple of water bottles and top them up at controls (keep sipping every 10 mins or so).
     - Dehydration is by far your worst enemy, never wait until you are thirsty.
- Keep snacking at controls and throw a couple of Snickers bars in your saddlebag for emergencies.
     - Don't wait until you are hungry
- Make sure your bike is reliable and comfortable. 
     - Minor comfort niggles on a 50 mile ride will definitely not improve over an additional 75 miles.
- Carry a light waterproof jacket and basic tools.
     - Don't go mad, puncture repair, spare tubes & multitool is fine.
- Keep plodding along.  Yes, stop at controls for a snack and a cuppa but try to limit yourself to 30 mins.

Then go and have a go.  You never know until you try.  You can over think and over prepare for these things (Guilty as charged).
It's basically just a day ride that won't ever be far from a shop or railway station.

My pick of the Tips?
Keep drinking, keep snacking and keep plodding along.

What's your longest day ride to date?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:04:17 am »
You can have my entire set of ride reports from my first SR series. 

I then did a high speed LEJOG in 2009 and put myself off long distance riding for a while, combined with a bit of a career change that took all my attention for a year or so.  I'm just contemplating returning now.

« Reply #15 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:17:51 am »
Hillbilly is right about the Cheshire Cat. Very scenic route*
You could also try this other (localish) event
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-378/

* in audax speak scenic=hilly

Hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:42:53 am »
I'm just contemplating returning now.

;D

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #17 on: 30 July, 2013, 01:53:08 pm »
- Carry a couple of water bottles and top them up at controls (keep sipping every 10 mins or so).
     - Dehydration is by far your worst enemy, never wait until you are thirsty.

Very true. Dehydration is something I frequently struggle with on longer riders simply because I am prone to forget to drink. If you can't already do it, learn to drink on the move so it's easy to take a small amount of fluid regularly without having to stop. If you have to stop to drink the chances are you'll do less of it, which will then leave you dehydrated later on.

Once you're dehydrated you have to restore your hydration over time - chugging a vast amount at once won't do it - so you end up trying to take on enough water to replace what you're losing plus a bit extra to restore the lost water, all without taking on so much your kidneys just divert it to your bladder.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #18 on: 30 July, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »
Ive been doing these Audax rides for a good while now and quite fancy travelling a bit next year to see different parts of the country as well as meeting new faces along the way.

Travelodges offer cheap accommodation when booked well in advance.

I only usually carry the essential items such as a lock, two innertubes, waterproof jacket, cash and a credit card just in case eveything goes pear-shaped, but that rarely, if ever happens.

Welcome to the World of Audax.

Enjoy

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 30 July, 2013, 02:14:39 pm »
+1

Drinking on the move is essential, unless you never ride in a group.  If you can't manage it with bottles, use a hydration bag.  Actually, I find a hydration bag is preferable, but bottles are more convenient on an upright bicycle unless you're riding through lots of poo.

If you have trouble forgetting to drink, eat things that make you thirsty or cause the kind of sore mouth that make you want to drink.  If that doesn't work, drink by numbers - having a swig at every route instruction, or couple of km on the odometer.  The same goes for food, if - like me - cycling makes you not want to eat.

Of course it's easier to drink if you don't have a full bladder, so you need to have a strategy for toilet stops.  Men have a distinct advantage in this respect.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 30 July, 2013, 02:22:11 pm »
I only usually carry the essential items such as a lock, two innertubes, waterproof jacket, cash and a credit card just in case eveything goes pear-shaped, but that rarely, if ever happens.

The corollary to that is that in the real world extra weight is going to make a tiny difference to your overall speed, whereas not having something you need (be it food, water, clothing, medications, tools, locks, spares, map, etc) could be a serious problem, so my advice to newbies is that if you're in the slightest doubt over an item, take it with you.  Once you've established how frequently you should eat, or what clothing you need for a night ride in given weather, or how puncture-prone your tyres are and so on, you can start cutting it down.

Imitating the kit and strategies of accomplished audaxers is all well and good, iff you have the body and bike of an accomplished audaxer.  Take all advice (including mine) with a pinch of salt and apply common sense.  The best way to work this stuff out is by riding your bike.

« Reply #21 on: 30 July, 2013, 02:35:33 pm »
Hillbilly is right about the Cheshire Cat. Very scenic route*
You could also try this other (localish) event
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-378/

* in audax speak scenic=hilly

or  http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-488/   Shameless plug.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #22 on: 30 July, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »
Your worstest enemy is ‘Extreme air temperature’. Cold or hot.
Wear appropriate clothing, eat and drink accordingly.

« Reply #23 on: 30 July, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »
Be warned   it is very addictive.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #24 on: 30 July, 2013, 04:57:45 pm »
You can have my entire set of ride reports from my first SR series. 

I enjoyed reading those, just working up to my first 200 in two weeks time so now thinking SR series, what could possibly go wrong?