Author Topic: Essex PBP Seminar - 11th October, 8pm  (Read 12209 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Essex PBP Seminar
« Reply #25 on: 13 August, 2014, 10:44:42 am »
I am not sure if I can attend this, but just to say that the South-West London training seminars run in the lead-up to PBP2011 were very useful for me, although a little daunting being sat with a bunch of hardened Audaxers when I hadn't even ridden a 400 by that point!  But the tips and advice I got still stay with me to this day.

Is there a train station to that there London within easyish Brompton distance of the pub?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 13 August, 2014, 11:03:13 am »
Is there a train station to that there London within easyish Brompton distance of the pub?

Chelmsford or Witham (*) will out you within cycling distance of any likely venue. 

(*) I live in Witham and do a few other likely attendees so you can ride so you're welcome to ride with us.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2014, 03:14:25 am »
Fantastic idea. Provided this is open to non-Essex riders, I'd be very interested. However, I can't do 11 Oct :-(
Cheers Olaf
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »
^ Everyone else who's been in touch is ok with the evening of 11th October. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

Our little Seminar is indeed open to all potential PBP-ers and Ancien[nne]s, of a Non-East-Saxon Persuasion.

« Reply #29 on: 19 August, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
I should probably put this in the diary ...

I think you mentioned up there^^^ somewhere that camping in the beer garden had been known - does anyone have a feel for whether they might be OK with it on this occasion? I'm not wholly inclined to ride back to That London following a comprehensive briefing session.

« Reply #30 on: 19 August, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »
It is my intention to come along and take the piss, swear, and pour scorn.

(As I have no pearls of wisdom to share).

« Reply #31 on: 20 August, 2014, 10:46:34 am »
Toying with the idea of PBP, I'll try and pop along. Shame about the evening start, it makes for a long cold ride home  :(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #32 on: 21 August, 2014, 02:46:38 pm »
Tomsk, I can make The Compasses at 8pm on Saturday 11th October.  I take it you're booking some space for us all - could be quite a throng  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2014, 03:01:39 pm »
I expect to be there.... :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #34 on: 21 August, 2014, 06:55:02 pm »
If reminded suitably near the time and not elsewhere eg inspecting universities for taller guy then Marcus and I could contribute some 'expertise'
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #35 on: 21 August, 2014, 08:31:30 pm »
I expect to be there with A.N.Other! Looking forward to it.

Rich I

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 26 August, 2014, 11:04:34 am »
It is my intention to come along and take the piss, swear, and pour scorn.

(As I have no pearls of wisdom to share).

Situation normal  ;D ....and yes, I'm sure you do have some wisdom [tell PBP virgins not to do it!]

I take it you're booking some space for us all - could be quite a throng  :thumbsup:

I'll have a word at the Compasses - could be cosy even in the end room - maybe we'll need their beer tent.

« Reply #37 on: 26 August, 2014, 11:41:49 am »
I think you mentioned up there^^^ somewhere that camping in the beer garden had been known - does anyone have a feel for whether they might be OK with it on this occasion? I'm not wholly inclined to ride back to That London following a comprehensive briefing session.

If you're having a word anyway ...?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 26 August, 2014, 04:16:00 pm »
I'll swing by the Compasses tomorrow evening and hope to catch Joss, or leave a message with our comprehensive requirements.

« Reply #39 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:23:27 pm »
This looks interesting, just what I need. May get there a bit early to sample the food before we start.
It's all about the breakfast

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Re: Essex PBP Seminar - 11th October, 8pm
« Reply #40 on: 04 September, 2014, 05:38:01 pm »
Compasses management is fine about using the Green Room [the one to the right as you go in the front - as used by the MEMWNS Xmas Do, Huffers and Puffers etc]. Starting 8pm as planned, probably get there earlier if you want food.

There are only 2 B&B rooms left for Saturday night [out of 5] so get a wiggle on if you want one! Travelodge in Dunmow seems the best alternative, [floor space at Tomsk Towers if necessary].

Camping in the beer garden is ok, though there is Seward's Hall site up the road in Felsted too.

Once the Flatlands is out of the way, I'll give some thought to agenda [nothing too formal, no flip-charts or powerpoint  planned], at least so those extremely helpful Anciens and Anciennes can dredge up their memories.

« Reply #41 on: 04 September, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »
No powerpoints? But.. but.. but.. how can we compare our state of the arse pictures without a projector and annotated diagrams???

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #42 on: 04 September, 2014, 06:26:00 pm »
Starting 8pm as planned, probably get there earlier if you want food.

I'll probably be driving up from SE London so can do some picking up en route (and returning, of course) if needed
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:06:25 pm »
No powerpoints? But.. but.. but.. how can we compare our state of the arse pictures without a projector and annotated diagrams???

Mime?  ;D

« Reply #44 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:32:15 pm »
Starting 8pm as planned, probably get there earlier if you want food.

I'll probably be driving up from SE London so can do some picking up en route (and returning, of course) if needed

Hmm - taking you up on this might be more sensible (or at least less disruptive of non-cycling life) than riding up, if that's possible ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #45 on: 05 September, 2014, 06:16:03 am »

Mime?  ;D

Never mind PowerPoint, use glove puppets. Should I bring Marion the Marmotte?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 05 September, 2014, 08:11:30 am »
Never mind PowerPoint, use glove puppets. Should I bring Marion the Marmotte?

I'll bring Boggis my PBP mascot - for reasons that will be explained when I impart The PBP Wisdom.....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: 05 September, 2014, 08:20:00 am »
 :thumbsup:

I might make Marion my mascot.

« Reply #48 on: 05 September, 2014, 03:56:23 pm »

What a great idea Tom. If you need support (is that allowed on a PBP seminar?), let me know.

Regards Phil

You'll be very welcome Pip: did you and Pipsuds stick together for the whole ride last time? Riding with a buddy/peloton - that's another angle to explore...

Tom, great idea, sorry can't be with you, but would want to encourage those new to PBP that it was quite possible to get round without having done an SR before (except in qualifying obviously).  I was greatly helped by advice of Pip as a seasoned ancien and so think this meet up is a brilliant opportunity
See Pip's ride report for an idea of how much and how we stayed together (ish)..http://bicyclemaintenancecompany.co.uk/paris-brest-paris-2011/

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #49 on: 05 September, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »
I am not sure if I can attend this, but just to say that the South-West London training seminars run in the lead-up to PBP2011 were very useful for me, although a little daunting being sat with a bunch of hardened Audaxers when I hadn't even ridden a 400 by that point!  But the tips and advice I got still stay with me to this day.

Just to confirm, and I know this will disappoint many of you, but a diary check earlier than today would have shown me that we are due to be in the Royal Festival Hall that evening to watch popular electronic beat combo, Underworld, perform their seminal debut album, Dubnobasswithmyheadman on the occasion of it being 20 years since it was released.

Shame - but that's life!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!