Author Topic: Dartmoor Devil 2014  (Read 6258 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Dartmoor Devil 2014
« Reply #25 on: 25 October, 2014, 04:53:00 pm »
OK, will see you down there later.

H

« Reply #26 on: 25 October, 2014, 07:31:07 pm »
OK, will see you down there later.

H

But not at the Cromwell. It's a bit too far from home.

« Reply #27 on: 25 October, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »
Best wishes to all connected with the ride tomoz.  :thumbsup:

Can't make this year's event  :facepalm:, have to go to local CTC dinner - Mrs. BlackSheep has won the Cheltenham CTC ladies attendance trophy
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #28 on: 26 October, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »
180 or so riders on the road. Several first-timers. Many old hands. It was great to see everyone at Princetown.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #29 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:30:27 pm »
Any news on the Hummers spoke breakage?   I saw him with one broken front spoke which had somehow ("I've never seen one like that") wrapped around the hub.  Rumour was that a further two had broke.

Agree with Oranj that the weather was about as good as it gets.  I even saw the S-U-N a couple of times

Me?  I went a bit slow on the 29er but finished feeling pretty good.  Couple of photos on the blog

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:36:52 pm »
Hummers Facebooked he was out of the DD due to 3 spoke breakages so I presume he packed.

« Reply #31 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:47:08 pm »
Hummers Facebooked he was out of the DD due to 3 spoke breakages so I presume he packed.

The lure of beer was too strong.

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #32 on: 26 October, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »
He bought me a pint at the Kestor and snogged George Hanna, so I assume he survived.
Powered by Minions

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #33 on: 26 October, 2014, 11:20:57 pm »

It was more complicated than spokes breaking.

What Hummers' spokes did I haven't seen or heard of before (But I think he may have been lucky to avoid a face-plant style crash).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #34 on: 26 October, 2014, 11:28:54 pm »
Chillmoister & Hummers at the start in Bovey Tracey

Chillmoister in full flow across Dartmoor

Another up section

Yes, that's correct, it's October 26, Dartmoor, and we're wearing short sleeve jerseys.

A bit that's more down than up ...but the up bits had started to hurt by then.

A glorious day out. Spectacular autumnal views across Dartmoor.  I feel very lucky that my first DD100 was done in spring/summer conditions, I'm aware that things could have been much worse across the moor.

Hummers

« Reply #35 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:46:51 am »
180 or so riders on the road. Several first-timers. Many old hands. It was great to see everyone at Princetown.

My Mum and Dad said they met someone singing people in at the Fox Tor Cafe "about our age".

They are in their mid-eighties but I knew they meant you.  :demon:

H

« Reply #36 on: 27 October, 2014, 09:27:45 am »
Got round OK for the 4th time, this time on my CB Dalesman Touring bike.

I kept my control stops short which worked well- it was about 4.15 and quite light as I reached the top of Widecombe Hill so for the first time I took the scenic route at the end and it was well worth an extra few minutes. I did not walk any hills but was frequently passed on them as I inched up in my bottom gear of 19". I got rather hot due to being dressed for more usual DD conditions.

Saw Hummers carrying bike with 3 x broken spokes.

Next year back on the Genesis Equilibrium I think, though the 35mm tyres on the Dalesman did inspire confidence on the descents.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #37 on: 27 October, 2014, 11:08:15 am »
I regret not taking the final "scenic" detour.  I anticipated a bigger detour than it actually is (just an extra 200 metres distance and 30m of climbing, so not really worth worrying about considering what went before).

My main achievement was not walking any of it.  I was very apprehensive about it beforehand but I managed to grind my way up all the climbs.
I overtook some people and some people overtook me. Bodyweight is clearly the issue for me, not gears.

Some lower, "touring", gears would have been nice but I stuck to my 1rpm, "sorry to do this to you knees", approach. 
On the penultimate Dartmeet climb I did wonder if my knees would ever forgive me as I saw the climb stretch out above me, with the sight of cyclists winching, and walking, their way up it. 

We caught up with some 8am starters about 3/4 of the way round (I assume they were anyway).  Some were going desperately slowly by that time and I expect there were internal questions being asked ("What the f*** was I thinking?" perhaps).  I'm sure they'd be thinking it when they got to Dartmeet and Widdecombe on the Moor anyway.

This ride convinces me that Disc Brakes are the future*.  I've no idea if I'd have been able to stop in the wet, it was as big a workout for my forearms as my thighs even in the dry.

*Unfortunately my disc-braked "Genesis Day One" is a Single-Speed and my heart would have exploded within 300 yards of the start.

Hummers

« Reply #38 on: 27 October, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »
Yes, any romantic notion that I had of riding the single speed Kommuter evaporated when I turned right out of the Cromwell Arms and were completely gone by the first 25% ascent.

These are real climbs on a scale rarely encountered in rolling Hampshire.

H

« Reply #39 on: 27 October, 2014, 02:24:30 pm »
At least one young chap rode on fixed.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #40 on: 27 October, 2014, 02:28:07 pm »

My commiserations to his knees.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #41 on: 27 October, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »
My first Dartmoor Devil and the weather gods gave me a gentle start.

I have never seen so many 20%/25% signs in one outing of any distance (up and down but mostly up).  I managed them all but as I got out of the saddle on Widdecombe on one of the steeper sections the thigh muscles started twitching and I wondered if I was on the verge of some convulsive episode so back in the seat and ground it out (I'd love to say spin but that ability had deserted me). 

Things went horribly wrong between the first control and Chagford ... broken gear cable on the rear mech. I started trying to work out bodges but the wonderful Duncan and Andrew stopped with a spare and helped me fit the new one - many thanks to both of you.  That's another spare I'll be carrying in the future.

Overall, the views were breathtaking and I look forward to coming back for more Devil action.

Good to meet Hummers at the start

Thanks to the organiser and all the helpers for putting on such a great event.

« Reply #42 on: 27 October, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »

...Good to meet Hummers at the start...

You can't possibly mean that.

jm1

« Reply #43 on: 27 October, 2014, 03:59:34 pm »

Yes but he left his sense of humour behind.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #44 on: 27 October, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »

...Good to meet Hummers at the start...

You can't possibly mean that.

... well, it was 7:30 AM and although we were at a pub the timing meant that I came through okay ;)

« Reply #45 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »
Last minute I couldn't take part and I am so gutted. I've never rode a DD in good weather.

Looks like you all had a blast.

« Reply #46 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:28:37 pm »
Last minute I couldn't take part and I am so gutted. I've never rode a DD in good weather.

Looks like you all had a blast.

People still found something to complain about - the wind mostly, though a few seemed surprised by the hills.

« Reply #47 on: 27 October, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »
People still found something to complain about - the wind mostly, though a few seemed surprised by the hills.
I think that after last year's frolics, I will never moan after a DD ever again.

Although, I reserve the right to moan about Dartmeet. Hate that one with a passion.