Author Topic: Tell us about your last audax ride of the 2013-2014 season  (Read 6071 times)

Re: Tell us about your last audax ride of the 2013-2014 season
« Reply #25 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:26:00 pm »
mr minter told meyesterday he had done all the housework. :demon:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »
Not all ... but quite a lot.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #27 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:32:54 pm »
I rode these

DIY 200 to Bishops Stortford Stansted Travelodge       19 Sep  2
Chris Negus Memorial HENHAM, Saffron Walden 217    20 Sep  2
DIY 200 back home                                                   21 Sep  2
DIY 300 Bristol Exeter Bristol                                     22 Sep  3
DIY 200 Glastonbury TORtoise                                   24 Sep  2
DIY 200 to Droitwich Travelodge                                26 Sep  2
Way Out West 200 DROITWICH 217                           27 Sep  2
Wylye and Ebble Valley 200 DENMEAD 200                 28 Sep  2

1700 Kms + in 10 days

Now I'm tired.   :sick: :sick: :sick: but happy  ;D ;D ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

rob

« Reply #28 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »
National 400 in July.   It's been a quiet year.

Martin

« Reply #29 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:50:30 pm »
Venetian Nights 200; fabtastic, just what an Audax ride should be  :) I'd forgotten what 70km pan flat along quiet lanes was like. Somewhat climbing-heavy at the back end (ie all of it!) but sublime descents into Matlock and from Cat n Fiddle. Innovative use of the High Peak Trail too  :thumbsup:

an example of how a well organised event can keep you fed and supported with no big price tag; other organisers take note  ;)

topped off with the legendary Monsal Tunnels trail yesterday

« Reply #30 on: 29 September, 2014, 04:54:52 pm »
Mine was also the Flatlands 600k. Many firsts in my first season of Audax and really enjoyed it.

Back to Blaxhall to start the year off with the same 100k that I started with last year.  :)

So far I have an understanding wife although she has started to get a little sick of hearing the words Paris and Brest

« Reply #31 on: 29 September, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
Mine was my 1st (and last) 200k of the year - New Forest perm with a good cycling friend :-).
Struggled (me, that is, not my friend ;-) ) but feel that, as an AUK, I ought to do at least one 200k each year (?) or perhaps I'll stop now I'm 65  ::-)
Gosh, over the magic Beatles 64 now!
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #32 on: 29 September, 2014, 07:02:21 pm »
A DIY GPS jobbie taking in Port de Bales followed by a `gentle` (ha ha  ::-) ) roll up Superbagneres, just 106 km but
2 500m up on 2 x HC T de F climbs. Thank goodness for BP speed minimums.....

But the climb up to Port de Bales was initially delightfully pastoral, although the valley headwall loomed above

In the Pyrenees info boards constantly remind of gradients and how far to go--sometimes a good thing, but not always
---another 3 km to go after initial 16....

But finally the last bends were gained and I could look down on the slopes below on a beautiful blue sky mountain day  :) :)

Prior to that another DIY of 133 km ( 3 000 m ) taking in Cols de Core, Aspet, Mente and Portillon and getting VERY cold coming off last climb in rain / cloud. Sunny Pyrenees !!!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #33 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:13:33 pm »
I rode these

DIY 200 to Bishops Stortford Stansted Travelodge       19 Sep  2
Chris Negus Memorial HENHAM, Saffron Walden 217    20 Sep  2
DIY 200 back home                                                   21 Sep  2
DIY 300 Bristol Exeter Bristol                                     22 Sep  3
DIY 200 Glastonbury TORtoise                                   24 Sep  2
DIY 200 to Droitwich Travelodge                                26 Sep  2
Way Out West 200 DROITWICH 217                           27 Sep  2
Wylye and Ebble Valley 200 DENMEAD 200                 28 Sep  2

1700 Kms + in 10 days

Now I'm tired.   :sick: :sick: :sick: but happy  ;D ;D ;D
Flatlands on 13th/14th, cycled to work and back every day Mon-Fri, recce'd and led two Skyrides on 20th/21st, cycled to work and back every day Mon-Fri, recce'd and led two different Skyrides on 27th/28th (saw Rich Forrest and the misses on their recumbants), cycled to work and back today. Only the Flatlands scores points  :'(
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:14:55 pm »
Mine too, is the Venetian Nights 200, oddly enough.

For a while, it looked like my last audax would be the Easter Arrow. The last thing I remember of that ride was Dr Air Ambulance saying "Chris? Chris? Can you hear me, Chris?". I had no idea what was going on, or what had happened.

That tableau entered my head, every time it got difficult on last Saturday's ride. That and fboab's call "I'm greying out - stop!".

What a pair we are! PBP is easier than all this, right?

« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:55:14 pm »
Mine was a pair of DIY 200s from home to Llandrindod Wells and back, just over a week ago, using my old Dinner Dart route from when the AGM/Dinner was last at the Metropole. I had planned to ride the Cambrian 2A in between, but felt a bit groggy, so brought forward the ride home by about 12 hours instead.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #36 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:23:52 pm »
Ours was a 200 DIY on Saturday from home to the seaside at West Mersea and back again. We had to check the tide times before deciding to go for it - with spring tides at the weekend the causeway was predicted to cover for a couple of hours around high water. On the way we checked out the ford near Good Easter (too deep and gravelly to ride), found some new Essex lanes, and then relaxed for a long time at the Booking Hall cafe at Rayne on the Flitch way with the best bacon sandwich I've had for a while. At West Mersea we looked around the waterfront while the tandem got a few compliments from the junior sailors all seemingly kept ashore by a lack of wind. Our return leg was mostly a route we've used to and from the ferry at Harwich - via Maldon, Hanningfield Reservoir and thence down to Rainham for our final control before the very tedious run back along the A13. Rather over distance at 215km but still safely back with time to spare.

« Reply #37 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:05:04 pm »
Mine too, is the Venetian Nights 200, oddly enough.

For a while, it looked like my last audax would be the Easter Arrow. The last thing I remember of that ride was Dr Air Ambulance saying "Chris? Chris? Can you hear me, Chris?". I had no idea what was going on, or what had happened.

That tableau entered my head, every time it got difficult on last Saturday's ride. That and fboab's call "I'm greying out - stop!".

What a pair we are! PBP is easier than all this, right?

Nice one, Chris. PBP probably is easier!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #38 on: 30 September, 2014, 06:27:46 am »
Another taker for Postie's Wylye and Ebble Valley 200 last Sunday. For the fit and able, a fast 200 with added scenery in the form of an excerpt from the Porkers from Wylye to 6d Handley. For someone who has only managed a 200k social (6 weeks ago) since the BCM it was never going to be a fast ride for me. Of course, unexpectantly fine weather for the end of September meant that mattered not a jot.

After a wait at the start control for the last arrival (7:45 on a 7:30 start) I packed up the van, sent my assistant - a bemused Mrs H -  back to bed and set off just before 8am on a beautiful and quiet Sunday morning.  By Cholderton I had caught up with the main bulk of the group but a) a lack of miles, b) lack of water and c) being a stone heavier than I was in May had taken its toll on my legs. I suppose I could  also add the consumption of two bottles of wine the night before and my debut  riding single speed but I doubt these made that much difference.  I had disregarded my water bottle (on the basis that this was only a 200) and this I paid for later on.

The next bit involved the well travelled lumpy section from Wylye across to 6d Handley which I knew on and 84 inch gear  would be a masochistic delight with some of the finest views of the ride. I rode pretty much on my own and although leg cramp and being unfit meant walking up the steeper bits this was no big deal for me as it gave me a chance to go blackberry picking  :smug:

After a quick cake Cranborne I left with the remains of the mid-section group on the final leg towards home. A number of people commented on the section from Godshill to Bramshaw being interminable and it certainly felt like that. It isn't hilly, it isn't really busy traffic-wise but (in my opinion) it is dull. I was never more glad to get to the left turn off to Bramshae where it felt like the ride had started again. It was plain sailing all the way back to Denmead although my legs were not having any out of the saddle nonsense so I resigned myself to grovelling up the hillocks as best I could back to the pub.

Ah yes, the pub  :thumbsup:

H

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #39 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:08:09 am »
I did a DIY by GPS to round off an interesting first season.

Riding from home on the 12 speed Eddy Merckx with a packed lunch, I went across Jutland and back at its widest point, taking in the remote and windy western end of The Limfjord and Møls National Park in the east, with a ferry ride on each day and some fast gravel tracks too......truly excellent cycling country.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6061345

To Thyborøn - Beware the Flatness.

Lucky Eddy, with attachments on the Thyborøn Ferry. Not much of a view from the ferry though as it's a big bathtub as it can get a bit choppy from North Sea gales (currently switched off).

North Djursland has some great gravel roads that lead out to unspoilt beaches.

Mellerup Ferry over Randers Fjord.

« Reply #40 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:20:22 am »
Mine was the Bristol v's Hackney 400, good fun and something a bit different.
It felt strange being with a group of Audax riders riding past Buckingham Palace and stopping to take pictures on Tower bridge.

I was with Bairdy and RegT, too.

Our London excursion somewhat resembled the episode of 'Friends' in London - without the bedroom shenanigans, of course  ;D

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #41 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:46:06 am »
Mine was the Bristol v's Hackney 400, good fun and something a bit different.
It felt strange being with a group of Audax riders riding past Buckingham Palace and stopping to take pictures on Tower bridge.

I was with Bairdy and RegT, too.

Our London excursion somewhat resembled the episode of 'Friends' in London - without the bedroom shenanigans, of course  ;D

This was my final excursion too. Love the description of 'Friends' in London, that's pretty accurate :). Lots been said about this ride so I won't bang on about it other than to say it was great fun ... included 3 trips to McDonalds in one night, surely some sort of record :o

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #42 on: 30 September, 2014, 12:47:49 pm »
As I decided to have a deliberate post-RRTY cold-turkey in September, my last one was in August - a 50km DIY in Shropshire with 1200m of climbing. Long Mynd, Stiperstones, cake at the Bog... :D

Went on solos with my wife Erica, we'll try it again on the tandem sometime and see which is faster. Great route, but some of the descents are a bit  steep and winding, so the tandem may not be able to really "let rip".

« Reply #43 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:14:31 pm »
Mine was a flat-as-a-pancake DIY 200 on Sunday.

Was going to do it on Saturday but ended up working in the office until 8pm and I don't even work Saturdays :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:32:23 pm »
Due to injury mine ended up being the 'Northern Dales Summer Outing' in May.

Lovely dry first half, riding the opposite way to a rather friendly set of sportivers (I'm assuming I'd missed the wannabe racers at the front by the time I met them), rescued a hedgehog trying to sleep in the middle of the road near Reeth. Lots of yellow bikes and displays out in the villages getting ready for Le Tour.

Got to Keld and the weather turned. Heavy stinging rain turned the roads into shallow rivers, and the cloud decended to the point I couldn't see the Tan Hill Inn from the crossroads next to it. Lost my wallet half way down Arkengarthdale, found it on the third pass, just scrambled a control at Barnard Castle (where the rain stopped again) and then a leisurly roll into the finish.

Far more eventful than expected, some bits more fun after the event than during it :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
A mid September, solo, mid week, DIY jaunt to the Moray Coast. A bowl of Skink in Cullen at just before half way and then along NCN1 to Spey Bay. Home over Dava Moor with the clearest of views of the Cairngorms National Park - an outstanding day to contemplate the future of my country. The election was two days later.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2014, 05:58:03 pm »
The Dark Peak Grimpeur, yesterday.  A classic ride with the iconic climbs of Holme Moss, albeit from the easy side, and Mam Nick.  Wonderful autumn colours in the Peak.  Unfortunately, the ride was interrupted by two back tyre punctures. Did not appreciate that there was a tiny sliver of glass left at the bottom of the cut when I changed the tube the first time.  Will always put on my glasses now to check!  Still a wonderful ride, with the best bacon and egg butty in the north west at the Bank View cafe at Langsett, and lemon drizzle cake at Edale.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2014, 07:19:47 pm »

For me it was a DIY 100 that I did today.

I had hoped to attempt an SR series this year. I got my first ever 300 in, after which I decided 300 was enough and I no longer had a desire to go any further. But within a week I was thinking maybe a 400 would be doable. Sadly my disorganisation meant I missed the cutoff for Severn Across, and I DNS-ed Asparagus and Strawberries because of bike fit issues that came to light during the Stonehenge 200. Not sure what I'd tweaked but whatever it was made every part of me that was in contact with the bike hurt.

Then before I had chance to ride a 400 I broke my road bike, and life intruded to the point that buying another one got put on hold for a while. So having realised an SR series wasn't going to happen I figured I'd aim at Randonneur 1000, and as of yesterday I had the 100, 200, 300 and 300km of additional rides. Which left a DIY 100 as a last-minute completion to R1000.

The route was one I've ridden before and a variation of a route I've ridden more times than I care to count. Basically I picked a cafe ~30 miles away, cycled there, had a coffee and a cake, and cycled home again. The views along the way range from suburban sprawl to really very pretty. I skirted around Windsor and past Runnymede. Some day I need to take a gentle MTB ride along the Thames as far as Windsor, it's beautiful. But today's ride was more about ticking the box than stopping to take in the views, so basically I just kept moving.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »
Mine was a hot, abortive Kernow & SW 600 with Mr Chuffy.

First mistake (probably) was booking a Travelodge 30k short of Bude (the official calendar sleep-stop). This meant a bit of a rush in the morning to stay in time, and Mr C doesn't really do mornings all that well.

We got to Bude a little out of time. Mr C decided on a leisurely breakfast and the home.

I pushed on trying to make up time which, in the increasing heat, proved counter-productive. Got to Barnstaple okay, but by the time I reached Wiveliscombe my getupandgo had evaporated in a sauna of sweat.

So I turned south to navigate familiar lanes homewards. Probably around 530km total.

It was a hard ride, but mostly enjoyable (apart from the carbonised fish and chips in Marazion).

You can ride the calendar version with full TLC on 30th May, or the permanent version any time you're feeling ready to suffer.

« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2014, 03:17:01 pm »
My last audax proper was also the Old Military Roads 400k from Stonehaven,
But on the spur of the moment I slipped up the Deeside road on sunday to ride the Cairngorm Loop 'against the clock',
was surprised to find the road at Crathie lined with spectators, perhaps awaiting Froomie, tho he was busy on a wet ride in Espagne,
and popped over the Cairnwell to be greeted by damp turning to wet,
but the sun struggled out and dried up all my bum down Glen Isla [tho not my socks].
To my surprise the Spar in Edzell was still open, so I crammed down a macaroni pie washed down with a chinese? RedBull substitute on special offer @35p,
and decided to take the diretto route over the Cairn o Mounth, rather than the longer gentler route via Stonehaven.
Which all left me marginally short of 200k, but an interesting test of the feasibility of hitting the Cairn at the end of a 200k ride, whereas most Deesiders go 'with the clock' in order to start with the Cairn and finish with a fast run down Deeside.
All food for thought for DIY over the quiet season if not too icy.