Author Topic: Audax bike frames for £400 ish  (Read 12974 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Audax bike frames for £400 ish
« Reply #25 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:43:35 am »
I have the Kinesis Tk3, which is the same frame but different paint job. It really is a delight to ride, and will take 28s under mudguards, plus a rack. It has quite a sharp front geometry, which doesn't really appreciate extra weight on the front - I do occasionally use an Altura bar bag, and the steering feels a little odd with it on. My old Racelight T worked better in that configuration, but wasn't as rewarding to ride overall.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #26 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:03:10 pm »
Kaff 2 frameset currently on sale at £149.99  :o - all sizes in Black, and M or L in Tea/Coffee....
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #27 on: 30 October, 2014, 10:35:15 pm »
Genesis Equilibrium Disc frame is £499: 725 frame with 631 fork: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/road/equilibrium-disc

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3551&g=699113&p=692908&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Road%20Frames&gclid=CPKckNe31cECFe3LtAodBFwAyw

EDIT: Sorry the Genesis website says 631 frame and fork but the Tweeks website says 725 frame and carbon fork for the 2015 frame  ???

« Reply #28 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:04:17 am »
Spa Cycles Audax - £305. Got mine a few month back and built it up. Very happy with it. http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s143p2828

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #29 on: 31 October, 2014, 07:17:34 am »
There is always the new '' tour de fer'' frameset,  for  around 350 of yourr engleeesh pounds.

« Reply #30 on: 31 October, 2014, 09:34:13 am »
That genesis frame looks the bozo. But outside my funds  :facepalm:

« Reply #32 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:06:59 am »
I have the Kinesis Tk3, which is the same frame but different paint job. It really is a delight to ride, and will take 28s under mudguards, plus a rack. It has quite a sharp front geometry, which doesn't really appreciate extra weight on the front - I do occasionally use an Altura bar bag, and the steering feels a little odd with it on. My old Racelight T worked better in that configuration, but wasn't as rewarding to ride overall.

Hey Tim - did you do 'proper' long rides on it? Would be interested to know how comfy or not that frame is in 300,400,600 territory and whether that race-bike front feels harsh - and whether it makes sense when you're sleep deprived and your hands are hurting. I have an old 4t CX which I find comfy enough at 600km with a carbon fork and 28c tyres. I like it but want something a little more performance biased. I have a stupid carbon bike without guard facilities for summer good.

TimC

« Reply #33 on: 03 November, 2014, 05:55:40 am »
No. The longest I've done on either of them is around 200km. The Tk3 has quite a short head tube, and the fork is stiff, but I've had no issues with comfort. It could be softened a bit with a carbon bar (I use a Ritchey Pro ally bar) and raised with an upturned stem, if necessary. Mine's a small frame (51, I think), which means I've got a fair bit of seatpost (also Ritchey Pro) showing, which helps too! I don't remember the old Racelight T being significantly more comfortable, though the geometry if the front end was a little slower.

Edit: this is how it was for its first year. The Ultegra 6600 groupset has been replaced with 105 5700 and it now rocks Aksiums instead of the old Shimano RS10s.

« Reply #34 on: 03 November, 2014, 07:17:15 am »
I have a Kaffenback and have been using it for Audax and my two 24hrs this year.
It's OK for the money. Not a great frame but cheap and versatile. Easy to swap things around as you can swap dropouts for either a geared or SS/fixie. Good mudguard clearance.
The top tube is a bit long, so I have a smaller size (49cm). I can only just fit a large bottle in the upright cage.
It's sturdy enough, more on the clunky side.
Paint job is crap IMO. Doesn't seem to take much for it to get chipped or for a cable touching the frame to wear off the paintwork. It might be worth sending it off to be redone.
It's good for a cheap steel frame.
If you can get just a frame, I'd look at a Raleigh Sojourn or Maverick Comp. Complete bikes are about £1100 on the Raleigh website. Both built with Reynolds 631.

« Reply #35 on: 03 November, 2014, 07:21:05 am »
Thanks for the extra info Tim, that looks about my size too... I am about 5 8 and a bit.  Mmmmm.... it sure is a nice looking bike.

TimC

« Reply #36 on: 03 November, 2014, 07:30:42 am »
Thanks for the extra info Tim, that looks about my size too... I am about 5 8 and a bit.  Mmmmm.... it sure is a nice looking bike.

:thumbsup:  You're welcome to try it if you're ever in my part of Essex/Suffolk!

Chris N

« Reply #37 on: 03 November, 2014, 08:40:48 am »
I have a Kaffenback and have been using it for Audax and my two 24hrs this year.
It's OK for the money. Not a great frame but cheap and versatile. Easy to swap things around as you can swap dropouts for either a geared or SS/fixie. Good mudguard clearance.
The top tube is a bit long, so I have a smaller size (49cm). I can only just fit a large bottle in the upright cage.
It's sturdy enough, more on the clunky side.
Paint job is crap IMO. Doesn't seem to take much for it to get chipped or for a cable touching the frame to wear off the paintwork. It might be worth sending it off to be redone.
It's good for a cheap steel frame.

The new one (the Kaffenback 2) is a bit different - revised seatstays, no swapouts (which were only an option on some aerlier Kaffs, ) and a larger diameter top tube to stiffen things up IIRC.  The paint is much better too.

« Reply #38 on: 03 November, 2014, 09:06:39 pm »
I can't make my bastard mind up  :facepalm:

But it will probably be the kaffy with some of those kinesis wheels, as my bog standards which came on the boardman are sounding a bit rough again. I had the bearings changed and greased in the summer!

Plus I should be able to get the frame for me birthday at the end of the month and the wheels for chrimbo  8)

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #39 on: 04 November, 2014, 06:24:35 pm »
Not that I'd be mechanically competent to do it, isn't the trick to find a good frame second hand on e-bay and then fit the bits?

I've been riding my Kinesis titanium non stop since just before the last PBP. That has been comfortable but I'm digging out my old Chromoly Dawes Audax this winter so I'll be comparing for comfort. Given the weight penalty I carry every day I'm not sure the savings going from steel to Ti are significant. Especially when you start adding the paraphernalia you carry "just in case" on longer rides.

« Reply #40 on: 05 November, 2014, 10:16:58 am »

Hey Tim - did you do 'proper' long rides on it? Would be interested to know how comfy or not that frame is in 300,400,600 territory and whether that race-bike front feels harsh - and whether it makes sense when you're sleep deprived and your hands are hurting. I have an old 4t CX which I find comfy enough at 600km with a carbon fork and 28c tyres. I like it but want something a little more performance biased. I have a stupid carbon bike without guard facilities for summer good.

If it helps I have the older Kinesis TK2, which I have ridden on longer Audaxes.
Numerous 200's and 300's along with 3 or 4 400's and one 600.
Didn't find any problem with comfort, other than a bit of neck ache on the 600.
To qualify this I've never ridden my steel and carbon framed bikes for more than about 300k in one go, so don't know how they would compare and whether they'd be any more comfortable.
Overall I really like it though, it's a cracking bike
But seriously, what could possibly go wrong

TimC

« Reply #41 on: 05 November, 2014, 11:42:23 am »
Some reviews of some relevant bikes (and some a bit out of the price bracket - but it's nice to dream!): Clicky

« Reply #42 on: 16 November, 2014, 02:37:38 pm »
My alu Canyon is probably the comfiest bike I've ever ridden. Besides a Specialized Demo 9, mind.

I'm pottering about on a Croix de Fer frameset at the minute. It will be my audax bike this year. Well, until I give in and buy that orange Spesh Roubaix disc.

Quick, beside me in the kitchen, phone photo -

« Reply #43 on: 20 November, 2014, 06:44:07 am »
The Rawland "Nordavinden", a 700c machine, might interest some: the following was posted on a message board this week:

Hubjub, EU distro for Rawland, can also do some deals on the Nordavinden
Frameset
<http://www.hubjub.co.uk/index.php/store/frame-and-forks/rawlands-nordavinden-detail>
for EU customers for the same reason. We will try to get as closet to US
price as we can (hopefully update listing today). We have the 56 and 58 but
also have couple each of 54cm and 60cm. Give us an email, ask for David,
and I will try to sort out a great price, especially if you want to add
some finishing kit...

Rawland can be found at: https://www.rawlandcycles.com/store/  These are lightweight steel bikes, made in batches in Taiwan. Search for the Rawland blog, scroll down about 6-10 screens as you click on "older posts" and you'll come across a lot of Nordavinden photos and the frame geometry.

Almost all of the Stags are gone, but not all of the Nordavindens.  However, frame size availability is limited.  For the Stag, Sean Virnig of Rawland solicited suggestions from possible buyers, and made final choices about what to build, which braze-ons to fit, etc.

I'm a happy owner of a Rawland Stag (version 1, they're working on the v.2 now) -- 650b tires/tyres, low-trail, minimalist. 

« Reply #44 on: 21 November, 2014, 10:26:28 am »
Spa Titanium F&F £750 - I know it's an extra £350, but it is proper comfy and will last forever, what's not to like?
I've known more ti frames die than steel due to cracking.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28886154@N07/8581407954/

The other two frames bought from the same company have given faultless service.

« Reply #45 on: 21 November, 2014, 10:36:50 am »
Just to add to your confusion, here's another option, not one I was aware of before but ticks a number of boxes.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONROD/planet-x-london-road-frameset

« Reply #46 on: 21 November, 2014, 09:54:03 pm »
I saw that PX too and thought it looked all right, though it is 6061 and not 7005. I guess the thing with aluminum is it can be really good (my cheap but faithful Kinesis 4t CX) or a bit of a laggard (my pinnacle 29er rigid thing) or a total rocket with all the comfort of a razor blade (any Alu frame prior to 2010!). I would consider this for sure but need at least one review to go on...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 21 November, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
What difference does it make to a rider whether an Al frame is 6061, 7005 or any other weldable alloy?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #48 on: 22 November, 2014, 08:21:52 am »
I am not a metallurgist but I suspect the numbers refer to the probability of it breaking in mid-Wales on a Sunday morning :demon:  Even Von Broad might call it a day if this happens.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #49 on: 22 November, 2014, 09:59:22 am »
Quite - realistically, you are not going to get either alloy welded in a mid-Wales garage  ;D