Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118835 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #175 on: 28 January, 2018, 10:12:38 am »
Have a good ride  :thumbsup:

Our probable scenario on DTDO tomorrow: First 100km dry, with little help from a slight tailwind; turn into the strengthening wind and some rain for the return. Happy days.

At least the Straggler will be finished by Sudbury...

Just completed my favorite perm with Tomsk as my pilot, and am now well spent having finding myself being dropped on every incline and trying to get back onto his wheel. Would not liked to endure another 40km to finish but am pleased how things went.  I would grade my own performance as C+ myself but think Tomsk would view it as grade U himself considering I held him back and would normally be 2hrs quicker.  I drew the short straw and find myself provisionally in Tomsk's ACME Easter Arrows team. Need to improve my fitness and speed before then.

No doubt Tomsk was riding fixed, so you'd expect he'd be pushing up the hills. Winter miles can be more about getting the miles in the legs, building up the endurance. At least you were out there on the road ... my riding partner yesterday (who shall remain nameless) didn't even head out, having apparently sabotaged his bike the night before.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #176 on: 28 January, 2018, 11:13:17 am »
If it's any consolation I think I treated both myself and Huggy to the slowest 100k ever on his "helpers'" ride. I think I was more of a deterent. Definitely not firing on all cylinders. Also managed to smack into the back of him ( he was stationary).  :facepalm:
Details for privacy of wed night but have lovely imprint of my handlebars on left thigh from the resultant off.
Lovely route though and the lemon drizzle cake - with custard - was wonderful. Perfect antidote to wet n windy.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #177 on: 28 January, 2018, 01:23:26 pm »
The as ridden GPX (with control waypoints) and final route sheet for the Knights Templar Compasses & Cross ride are uploaded to the AUKweb calendar page  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #178 on: 28 January, 2018, 03:49:55 pm »

Our probable scenario on DTDO tomorrow: First 100km dry, with little help from a slight tailwind; turn into the strengthening wind and some rain for the return. Happy days.

I drew the short straw and find myself provisionally in Tomsk's ACME Easter Arrows team. Need to improve my fitness and speed before then.
Or you could join Ian's Suffolk team. Plenty of McD stops on his Arrow last Easter.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #179 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:36:35 pm »
I drew the short straw and find myself provisionally in Tomsk's ACME Easter Arrows team. Need to improve my fitness and speed before then.

I think you were only running out of steam after turning at Debenham [& the headwind was pretty horrible]. Despite the McD refuelling in Sudbury, I felt I slowed more on the last leg. Still there's time to build speed and fitness...

I don't think I'd bank on faster than 14mph on an Arrow, at least without a good tailwind. In the past, a NW headwind has pegged speeds to around 12mph, which has resulted in shorter than desirable stops and on one occasion less than the planned 400+km.

« Reply #180 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:00:55 am »
Following on from recent form it looks unlikely I'm going to make it out on Saturday. I'll be out for a morning spin and back before lunch to be a responsible adult at home.  :( :'(

Looks like my RRtY will be hanging on an ECE of the Braziers run.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #181 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:39:05 am »

Following on from recent form it looks unlikely I'm going to make it out on Saturday. I'll be out for a morning spin and back before lunch to be a responsible adult at home.  :( :'(

:'(
ECE’ing the Braziers Run 100k will be my 12/12 RRtY (the RRtY that I’m obviously not doing!)

« Reply #182 on: 29 January, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »

:'(
ECE’ing the Braziers Run 100k will be my 12/12 RRtY (the RRtY that I’m obviously not doing!)
It'll be 48/48 for me....not that I'm in anyway working to any kind of plan....

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #183 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:48:28 pm »

Just completed my favorite perm with Tomsk as my pilot, and am now well spent having finding myself being dropped on every incline and trying to get back onto his wheel. Would not liked to endure another 40km to finish but am pleased how things went.  I would grade my own performance as C+ myself but think Tomsk would view it as grade U himself considering I held him back and would normally be 2hrs quicker.  I drew the short straw and find myself provisionally in Tomsk's ACME Easter Arrows team. Need to improve my fitness and speed before then.

No doubt Tomsk was riding fixed, so you'd expect he'd be pushing up the hills. Winter miles can be more about getting the miles in the legs, building up the endurance. At least you were out there on the road ... my riding partner yesterday (who shall remain nameless) didn't even head out, having apparently sabotaged his bike the night before.

Unfortunately my mechanical competence has improved to tedshred standard. I "repaired" my bike so well it was unrideable :facepalm:

On Sunday I struggled around a flat 200, sorry psyclist, but I wouldn`t have finished the Hills and Mills.

« Reply #184 on: 29 January, 2018, 08:14:56 pm »
On Sunday I struggled around a flat 200, sorry psyclist, but I wouldn`t have finished the Hills and Mills.

Not a problem. I met some interesting folk along the way, including a TCR rider who had his steed built by the same frame builder as my next bike.

I think that I had a schedule that would have got you round Hills & Mills, but given your lack of recent riding you were probably better off sticking to a flatter ride.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #185 on: 30 January, 2018, 02:41:10 pm »

Not a problem. I met some interesting folk along the way, including a TCR rider who had his steed built by the same frame builder as my next bike.

Reilly? You've got to appreciate his optimism, expecting to complete the TCR riding one of those cut price, Ted in a shed built jobs.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #186 on: 04 February, 2018, 02:31:43 pm »
Knights Templar Compasses and Cross 100km 2018

I left home at just gone 6am aiming to cycle the 30ish miles from Harlow to Witham in about 3 hours giving myself an hour for second breakfast and to wait for my friend Charlotte to arrive (who I had somehow managed to convince to cycle 100km with me in February!) I must have found some speed or had a tail wind behind me as I arrived at the Wetherspoons at around 8:30!

Charlotte arrived about an hour later and after some faffing and comfort breaks we were ready to go at 10am. Charlotte informed me that she hadn’t done any cycling since the Stansted Airport Express in December so we started off slow, maybe a little bit too slow! We got the (wo)manned control at Margaretting at 12:56 with 9 minutes to spare. We decided we had better up the pace if we were to get to Coggeshall before 17:05 when that control closed and we wanted to stop for cake somewhere too!

We pedalled a bit faster then and regained some time (I think) but then disaster struck descending down the hill in Danbury as Charlotte got a puncture in her front tyre. Luckily there was a nice grass area nearby which we used to replace the tube. Twenty minutes later and some brute strength to get the tyre back over the rim and we were on our way again trying to make up the time we lost with puncture.

By now it was approaching lunch and we were both hungry but also mindful that we still were behind time. I had promised Charlotte cake on this Audax so didn’t want to let her down, we made a plan to stop at the Lordship tea room in Writtle for cake and then skip lunch to try and get a bit of time in hand. The tea and scones were nice and put the hunger at bay for the time being! But fate and the puncture pixie had decided we weren’t going to make up our time and about 7km away from the compasses Charlotte was struck with another puncture. We replaced the tube again but in our haste we pinched it and we were now out of tubes for Charlotte’s bike. My tyres were bigger than hers but we tried putting one of my tubes in but I don’t know if we pinched that too or if the tube was broken, either way the tube wouldn’t inflate. We decided we would put the tube with the smallest hole back in and then limp to the Compasses and decide what to do next.

Just then a man came out of his (big!) house and asked if we needed any help.

“Not sure there is much you can do unless you have an inner tube!” We said.

As luck would have it, he went back into his garage and came back with one. It was a little smaller than the original but we tried to fit it and finally luck was smiling on us, it fit and stayed inflated! We thanked the man graciously and then headed on to the Compasses to figure out how we would proceed from here know that we had wasted a lot of time stopped.

The staff at the Compasses kindly let us sit inside and warm up even though we didn’t buy anything. We worked out that we were never going to make it to Coggeshall before the control closed but we had come this far and there was only about 25 miles to go, so we might as well finish the distance and carry on following the route sheet even though we wouldn’t be validated.

As soon as the sun came down it got really cold, especially on the face on the descents. The Co-op at Coggeshall was a blessing with its hot chocolate machine! Around this time Charlotte checked her phone and saw that Grant had text and called us wondering where we were! We figured that he and some of the ACME guys would still be at the finish by the time we got there, so we pushed on!

Amazingly and thankfully Charlotte’s new tube held up and we made it to the end. We found Grant and some of the other ACME guys and told them our tale of woe! Despite not finishing in time, it was still a good day although I’m not sure Charlotte would agree!

Thanks again to Grant for organising.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #187 on: 04 February, 2018, 05:19:42 pm »
I left home 3am-ish, and enjoyed not having the headwind I had going to Kelvedon. Arrived at the Buntingford garage just before 6, so went in for a mocha and pain au chocolat meal deal (first food of the day). Had the same chat with the guy who manned the garage on my previous return leg about Audax and the points. He can't understand why I get badges or medals, and that the points can't be used for anything else like shop loyalty points. The second stage was more interesting: quieter well maintained roads and narrow, gravelly potholed ones, but it was getting lighter, and there were picturesque buildings en route. At 100km I was on the outskirts of Gt Dunmow, wishing I was on a Tomsk Audax. I used to shun Witham starts, but a 'spoons start is a crowd puller. I arrived just before 9 (9:45 last year), so enjoyed a leisurely veggie brekky and two coffees.

Shunned the 9:30 start to let the food go down, and rode with team Tomsk, when the Straggler had stopped faffing. The six of us rode mostly as one pack, four on fixed (great when on the front as they ensure a group steady pace). I was introduced to the Castle (posh?) pub for lunch (I ride by it on my way to/from Witham), enjoying a lovely mushroom soup (with two delicate quarters of bread) and their own beer. We finished just after 4, not my fastest 100, but it wasn't a race, and I couldn't fault the company (just the lack of flaps 😉).

After a leisurely (the Straggler ate quicker than me) veggie burger meal deal with a pint, I left just after 5:30, on the same route home. The Essex lanes aren't as nice in the dark. A different route I took to Kelvedon has better roads but I think is slightly longer and hillier. Got to the Buntingford garage at 9:45 (roughly 1/2 hour slower), so shunned a stop, as I was hoping to be home by midnight. More traffic on the A507 than in the morning, and the fact there's more climbing, makes this section a chore. I stopped a few times to rest, cheering up when I could see the M1 traffic (still over 10 miles left, but it feels like I'm nearly home). A front puncture on the MK roads about three miles from home put me on a downer, as I didn't want to fix it or walk. I managed to ride upto about 1/2 mile away, then walked, arriving just before midnight. Teethgrinder wouldn't be happy doing 223 miles in 21 hours, but then I assume he isn"t having leisurely pub stops.

Ran a hot bath, and had a nice sleep in it. Eventually went to bed at 2am.

Great route, Huggy (nice it's slightly altered from last year), and the company wasn't too bad ☺
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #188 on: 04 February, 2018, 05:36:17 pm »
Thanks Huggy and Team for yesterday's event.  :thumbsup:

100km ECE front-loaded has worked well for me this year: earlier starts of course, but only one session of 5 hours in the freezer [SAE helpers' ride, November], sociable second 100, more beer at the end, what's not to like!  :thumbsup:

Huge chapeau to Deano_44 & Charlotte for keeping going in trying circumstances - ACME now have 'Lanterne Rouge of the Year 2018' award contenders...If it's any consolation, I had my only 'visitation' of the winter by She Who Must Not Be Named, in Braintree on my way in yesterday. Seems there were lots of flint arrowheads about.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #189 on: 04 February, 2018, 06:30:00 pm »
Thanks Huggy and Team for yesterday's event.  :thumbsup:
Seconded...  Much preferred this year's route to last, good to lose the Maldon main road, and also enjoyed the road across to Coogeshall which was new. I think it was the longest stretch between route directions (4.8km).

100km ECE front-loaded has worked well for me this year: earlier starts of course, but only one session of 5 hours in the freezer [SAE helpers' ride, November], sociable second 100, more beer at the end, what's not to like!  :thumbsup:
No real point for us in front loading as with no trains we had a minimum 35 km ride to a station, so might as well make those kms count! Opted for the same route across to Harlow as last year via Terling, Great Waltham, Good Easter, Matching and finished in Old Harlow with a curry.  It was actually a great ride - weather pretty much perfect for a winter evening/night with light wind, dry until the last mile, light traffic - one of those times when I really enjoy riding in the dark.

« Reply #190 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:01:10 pm »
The road to Coggeshall is used on an event from Henham, but in the opposite direction, after a control at the garden centre in the town. It makes a change to do it in the other direction. It's always exposed and wind-swept though, and the wind's always blowing the wrong way.

I tend to think of it as the Coggeshall desert, but that's maybe putting things a bit strongly :P

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #191 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:55:22 pm »
After 3 hours of sleep, a straight A road bash out to Bishop Stortford just before 05:00 was the start of the day.

Bishop Stortford appears to be like Saffron Walden but on steroids. Grabbed a few veloviewer squares as the rain started to fall, whilst -1C it was just rain still.

Over to Dunmow and then through Barnston where I started to feel the rim of the rear wheel bottoming out on the road. after pumping up the wheel 3 times and inserting a tyre worm it was truly shagged, no sealant left. Thankfully I was fixing my bike on the driveway of a chap called Paul who let me use his track pump to inflate the inner tube I ended up fitting. After that I had to average 28kph all the way from High Easter to get to the start in time and complete my ECE... so much for getting up and setting off 15 mins earlier! I rolled in to the start with 15 mins to spare!

Food eaten and out for the main event with Jef and Jan. weather remained mostly damp for the rest of the day. After pulling out on to Woodhill Road about to descend I noticed a bus coming up the road so shouted back to warn them behind about to come out the same junction.... it was at this point I managed to steer over the road edge in to a sharp gully resulting in two sidewall punctures this was my first experience of the Garmin incident detection which was insistent on sending my emergency contact a message to say I had crashed... took a while to cancel the message and the accompanying sirens from the mobile phone! So puncture no 2 and after it not sealing, inner tube number 2!

Further down the road, I was experiencing sealant squirting out the side wall... after removing the tyre, I found a thorn which had sealed but also punctured the inner tube, the air having nowhere to go, used the earlier puncture hole... puncture '3, inner tube #3.

We pressed on, and eventually enjoyed a huffer and pint at The Compasses and the onwards to finish the ride at Witham 'spoons.  Not wanting to risk another visitation with no tubes or team car available I opted for the train home and I was in bed asleep before I knew it!

A grand day out and thanks to both Jef & Jan for providing my with spare tubes and also well done Jef on his first Audax.

I have spent most of today cleaning accumulated tubeless sealant out of tyres and patching them on the inside.  After repairing the front tire I ended up replacing it… perhaps I should have done that earlier and saved myself a couple of hours of work!

Another winter series draws to an end, 4 of 4 completed and this time with a 100 before each which I think is a far better way of doing it because you can then relax a bit more at the end :) 

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #192 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:56:29 pm »
Thanks to ACME for another cracking event, 4 out of 4 for me and met the intent of not giving me an excuse to stay indoor on the turbo all winter.

I must admit that this was the hardest one to get out of the house for with a very busy and stressful week last week, and more next week, but that's also an good reason to do it.  The drizzle turned into proper rain as I neared Stansted, and the temperature probe was not giving good news.  Those conditions are when the furnace of a LandRover heating, a fleece, and a cup of coffee are very welcome. 

Not so much stepping out of the car at the labour club carpark, not least because in attempting to clean my glasses, I re-broke the prescription insert at the superglued joint from my repair a few weeks ago, but have been too busy to replace.  Having signed on, it was a quick trip across the road to the hardware store and make running repairs while watching the 9:30s depart.  Having done that it was back out to appraise the weather - start with the waterproof I thought. As I was out there JibberJabber appeared with his tales of woe, looking flustered.

The ride itself was great, drying nicely by the first control where I made the decision to take the waterproof off, which lost contact with my erstwhile riding partner on the Roberts, who wanted to keep moving in the cold.  No complaints from me as we seemed to be leapfrogging each other for the next 50km or so until I finally went past him stood by the side of the road, asked if he was OK, but nothing adverse in response.  I think I upset a 9:30 starter at Margaretting when she assumed I was the same, sorry about that whoever you were.

Best strategy for me was keep moving, to keep warm, only stopping for blood glucose checks at controls and just eating to my usual pattern inbetween, particularly on the long, exposed sections into a now chilly north easterly towards the end.  The co-op was blessed relief for a sneaky half a dark bounty and then a quick run-in to the end.  A tidy 4hr 11 riding time for me, so happy with that for a winter trek.   A nice coffee and energy drink back at the pub before rewarming in the LandRover furnace on the way home

My only issue apart from cold feet and hands was a headache from about 85km and growing discomfort across the neck and between the shoulder blades. That tells me I must get the last bits of fettling done to the recumbent, only the bottle cages left to sort out now - all 4 of these winter series would have been recumbentable.  The hills in Maldon and Danbury would be nasty but do-able, and I've done similar around Newmarket, so no excuse really.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #193 on: 07 February, 2018, 12:31:55 am »
I brought my son along (a lapsed member) as moral support, and in a fairly vain attempt to prove the old man could still embarrass him... We enjoyed a great breakfast at 'Spoons before setting out (the inter-family banter was scored against me before we left). He faffed, so we left on our own about 20 minutes after the bunch, and really we never connected with anyone else all the way through. We did stop at the Square & Compasses at Fuller St, a favourite watering hole of my late old man, and enjoyed a bit of Victor's acid tongue!

This is home territory for me, but I loved the fact that we travelled some roads I've never seen before and got a look at RAF Rivenhall (almost unbelievably the only airfield on a route in Essex that we passed), and I had the chance to show the lad the playground in Coggeshall he played in when he was 2 or 3 years old!

All too soon (honestly!) it was over. The boy buggered off to a pissup in Colchester before returning to his barracks, and I came home for a pint in my local, very happy after a day well spent,

Thanks Huggy!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #194 on: 30 September, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »
With the long summer barely behind us some thoughts turn to the ACME Anvil Winter Series events again, now in to the 3rd year.  There is a steady trickle of entries coming in.
Everyone who has been eagerly waiting for the ACME Anvil Winter Series Grand Slam [not]shiny badge will need wait no longer than the first event - Essex 3Rs on 3rd November, same day as the ACME awards evening at the Compasses. The data mining has been completed and a list of the entitled compiled.

Some fun facts about validated rides for the last 2 seasons are:
277 individuals rode at least one of the rides
29 rode all the 2017 season winter series events
23 rode all the 2018 season winter series events
12 have ridden every winter series event so far

46 are entitled to the Grand Slam badge*

I will be honoured to present you with your badge if I see you at one of this season's events, if I don't get to hand it over in person it'll be put in the post some time in the new year (just to give postie a break over yuletide).

* To qualify for the ACME Anvil Winter Series Grand Slam badge you need to have successfully completed each of the 4 events within a 2 year rolling period.

Phil W

« Reply #195 on: 01 October, 2018, 05:53:28 pm »
Will you be arranging rail replacement  bus services as per normal?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #196 on: 01 October, 2018, 06:06:57 pm »
Oh yes.....
Puts paid to the idea of a nice civilised train to the start, then a potter round the 100km and a short ride down to Littley Green

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #197 on: 01 October, 2018, 06:16:08 pm »
I have put the usual request in to Greater Angrier, I’m sure they will take the usual steps to encourage ECE to & from Witham, or as bhoot says, in the case of the Essex 3Rs to finish at Littley Green this year.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #198 on: 23 October, 2018, 12:25:24 pm »
Re: Stansted Airport Express on 1st December: Thremhall Cafe under new management, been in to see them this morning. They are keen to cater for us ... should be an 'Audax Menu' coming soon.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #199 on: 29 October, 2018, 06:26:48 am »
Enjoyed all of these last year, and have them in the plan again.

Weather is looking sh!t for Saturday though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens