Author Topic: B & M IQ Cyo Senso Plus: swapping between bikes  (Read 1483 times)

elfin

B & M IQ Cyo Senso Plus: swapping between bikes
« on: 19 June, 2009, 01:24:29 pm »
Am thinking of buying one of these lights. But I would like to swap it between bikes. Is it feasible/easy to have wiring and mounting brackets on both bikes and swap the lamp and dynamo wheel between bikes? It's a big outlay and I'd like to get the best use out of it!

Re: B & M IQ Cyo Senso Plus: swapping between bikes
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:20:29 pm »
Just have a bracket on both bikes, and transfer the cable together with the light and hub,
just spiralling the cable down the fork blade. It may be handy to zip tie something to the top of the fork blades to hook the cable round so it doesn't drop in towards the brake and tyre.

For an even quicker transfer, I have seen interweb photos of a light mounted on a short plate with the other end clamped in the wheel QR. No need to even upplug the light from the hub - just put the wheel in, put the plate under the QR nut, aim the light and tighten the QR.

Tim

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:25:53 pm »
You could certainly make swapping easier for yourself in that manner.

To keep wiring on each bike would not be difficult to do, finish the ends of the wires with some spade connectors to make plugging the light in easy. You can do this for front and rear lights. Cable tie the wire in place. You may want to keep a reusable cable tie or two to hand for those times when you go riding without the lighting set in place so that you don't have a cable end flapping around.

Getting the wheel switched would depend more upon whether you also wish to switch tyres and whether you pick a rim which is suitable for all bikes. You may end up making a compromise in the wheel for this.

Transferring the wire between bikes as well would probably mean mounting the light in the same location on each bike which may not be feasible due to brake arrangements, braze ons or use of a bar bag.

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:39:11 pm »
I suppose my reply was influenced by my current (Edelux) light having a built in cable that doesn't unplug from the light.

Tim

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:43:05 pm »
True, it can be easier to take the wire with you between bikes (and I did until the last round of light shopping meant there was sufficient to go around the whole hub dynamoed section of the fleet).

<Ponders, I wonder whether there could be an easy way of mounting the light with a release> Cetrainly using a wing nut could help a bit.

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2009, 06:45:41 pm »
<Ponders, I wonder whether there could be an easy way of mounting the light with a release> Cetrainly using a wing nut could help a bit.
I'd be inclined to look at using a seatpost QR. You'd have to ensure that the skewer could slot into the bracket without having to be threaded through a hole, so that would probably mean getting a bracket similar to this one and cutting a slot into the holes.