Author Topic: PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 23689 times)

Chris S

PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« on: 13 August, 2015, 07:53:00 pm »
I cannot believe, after all the waffle that's transpired in the last 3.89 years, that we haven't had a default thread of this nature. (Or maybe we have, I started it, and I really DO have dementia).

Anyway - my contribution. La Priorité à droite. We were caught out by this in Falaise, after riding hundreds of kilometres in France un-molested. We passed a crossroads that had the tell-tale sign (X) and a car approaching from the right clearly knew he had priority, even though we were hooning down a hill at 50. I learned (and have since forgotten, thankfully) some new words and hand signals.

Just watch the right folks! Even on roundabouts. They are mentalists.

Re: PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:00:14 pm »
You have been lucky this time, Chris! Some drivers don't even look left on priorité à droite crossings.

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:33:33 pm »
Even driving/riding on the correct side of the road can be a challenge for some of us.  Setting off after a halt on the 'wrong' side is the usual issue.  I stopped to take a photo today and set off on a long fast descent on the right (hand side of the road).  Been on the continent for three weeks, but the problem arose because I am now back in Blighty and got confused.  Was doing about 45kph when I met my first oncoming vehicle.  Whoops.

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:45:39 pm »
Eat a Paris-Brest cake at your peril.

You'll either love them or hate them. No half measures.

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2015, 06:32:50 am »
Even driving/riding on the correct side of the road can be a challenge for some of us.  Setting off after a halt on the 'wrong' side is the usual issue. 

I understand what you mean! For this reason, I must address once again a big thank you to all the LEL volunteers who spent days and nights standing on the roads out of each control, making sure every rider was riding on the right ..... errr on the left side.

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2015, 07:35:01 pm »
News from MC was that despite booking a pre start meal for 5 pm with the organizers, there was in fact no food left!!! They were left with the prospect of searching for a last minute meal nearby, and will hopefully negotiate a refund afterwards...Mrs MC

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:05:44 pm »
News from MC was that despite booking a pre start meal for 5 pm with the organizers, there was in fact no food left!!! They were left with the prospect of searching for a last minute meal nearby, and will hopefully negotiate a refund afterwards...Mrs MC

That's a disappointment and the last thing a rider needs. I would be Very Unhappy if that had happened to me.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:33:25 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Htz15C2NmU
Chris and Lindsay with The Things following at about 1.25 Idai on the Eliptigo at about 1.50

« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »

Same. We arrived just before 5 to find a swarm of locusts had hit the place. No explanations or apologies from the organisers either!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2015, 09:09:15 pm »
Chris and Lindsay with The Things following at about 1.25 Idai on the Eliptigo at about 1.50

Loads of forumites on that!  Woohoo!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »
Happy news was that food was found in time and MC was in the starting area at 7.15 pm FR time! The theory was that earlier starters had probably been getting double portions!!! Mutterings of "refund" still heard though! Mrs MC

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2015, 11:10:55 am »
Is PBP a minimum overall 15km/h av speed?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2015, 12:05:41 pm »
It'll depend on which group you are in:
1200/90hrs = 13.3km/h
1200/80hrs = 15km/h

Following this question, who knows how hard they are on intermediate controls times?

I believe you only have 40hrs to get to Brest - how hard are they on this?  I'm following some people that have taken 40hr 55 mins, and 41hrs 5 mins - if they get back within 90hrs are they still OK??

Think I'll ride next time, it seems less stressful :)

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2015, 12:11:04 pm »
Happy news was that food was found in time and MC was in the starting area at 7.15 pm FR time! The theory was that earlier starters had probably been getting double portions!!! Mutterings of "refund" still heard though! Mrs MC

It was a help yourself buffet, no one was monitoring portions. Some riders were going back for seconds.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2015, 12:34:04 pm »
1200/90hrs = 13.3km/h
1200/80hrs = 15km/h

Following this question, who knows how hard they are on intermediate controls times?

I believe you only have 40hrs to get to Brest - how hard are they on this?  I'm following some people that have taken 40hr 55 mins, and 41hrs 5 mins - if they get back within 90hrs are they still OK??

For the 90h start it's more than 40h, but less than 45! So don't stress. (if you hunt around you can find the exact times posted somewhere.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2015, 12:36:52 pm »

For the 90h start it's more than 40h, but less than 45! So don't stress. (if you hunt around you can find the exact times posted somewhere.)

Cool - thanks Matt  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »
1200/90hrs = 13.3km/h
1200/80hrs = 15km/h

Thanks - I didn't realise the 80 vs 90h groups had different minimum av speed mins.  Why would one sign up for 80hrs - just a little bit more of a challenge?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #17 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:11:36 pm »

LWaB in red YACF Jersey at 1.23 on tandem with George
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #18 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:18:08 pm »
Co-worker:  What’s that?
Me:  I’m looking at how some people are getting on a bike ride.
C:   Is it a race? Who’s winning?
M:  No.  No one is winning; they are competing against themselves and the route.
<I’m waiting for this one>
C:  Is it for charity?
M:  No.
C:  Why not?  It should be for charity.
M:  No, they’re doing it for the enjoyment and the challenge.
C:  Why?
M:  Have you ever walked up a mountain?
C: No
M:  Oh
C:  It should be for charity.

Etc

Etc

Etc
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #19 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »
@Basil: You should have asked for a donation.  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:50:12 pm »
Yes.  The International Basil Drought Relief Fund.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21 on: 18 August, 2015, 04:37:03 pm »
@Basil: You should have asked for a donation.  ;)

Agreed!  You could have collected donations for a poor Country Girl you've been helping for many years.  O:-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 18 August, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
1200/90hrs = 13.3km/h
1200/80hrs = 15km/h
Thanks - I didn't realise the 80 vs 90h groups had different minimum av speed mins.  Why would one sign up for 80hrs - just a little bit more of a challenge?
More or less ...
but its more about riders who plan to need quite a lot less than 80h: they will get to ride with other fast riders, which is a big benefit. And not get held up by us plodders - on the road and in the controls!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #23 on: 19 August, 2015, 01:54:20 am »
You get an earlier start time in the 80h group so arrive at pretty empty controls all the way to Brest, thus saving more than the 10 hours you don't have and easily getting beds etc.
If you know you can definitely ride it in under 80h then it's probably daft not to.
Personally I think the 84h group sounds like an even better idea since you get to leave the following morning so don't start the ride with sleep dep.

« Reply #24 on: 19 August, 2015, 05:37:15 am »
Photos of the riders are viewable and available now!
http://t.co/5Xvs7CEKvx