Author Topic: PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 23701 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #100 on: 26 August, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »
I think the handcycle bloke was the first one ever to finish PBP. The first para to start PBP was in 1999.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #101 on: 26 August, 2015, 05:58:02 pm »
I saw the handcycle at the finish line about 9:30/10:00.

(It's partly why I had to leave- watching finishers was making me really emotional and the handcycle tipped me over the edge  :facepalm:)

You should have stayed until much later to see the real heroes then, those that were way out of time but kept going.
 There was one lady , slightly older than me who had to be supported as she walked across the finish mat . It was as you say, extremely moving to watch and I could not bring myself to point my camera at her.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #102 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »
The man on the white ICE trike did it for me.

I saw him at Fougères on the way back. I think it was his parents that had to be there at each control and help him get in and out of it as he couldn't do it alone.

And the American (I think) double amputee that the Danish guy rode with. He had to have a "T" bar from his frame to rest his chest on As he couldn't support his upper body for that long.

That's impressive.

simonp

« Reply #103 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:15:18 pm »
Saw him riding round the roundabout outside the Cafe du Teatre on the Saturday afternoon. Amazing that he could even consider riding PBP on a DF.

« Reply #104 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:26:56 pm »
Did I imagine this or was there someone riding with a carbon fibre prosthetic left leg ?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #105 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:40:58 pm »
There was a guy riding with just his right leg doing the peddling, was that who you saw ?

« Reply #106 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »
Possibly - but I distinctly remember seeing what I thought was a carbon fibre left leg.

« Reply #107 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:17:35 pm »
I saw a rider on the Saturday with an arm missing mounting his bike outside a cafe, and I also read on this forum (I think it was on here) somewhere of someone mentioning a double amputee. Also at the finish in the velodrome, someones arm fell off next to me and come apart on the floor

« Reply #108 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:16:52 am »
Really impressive stories from everyone here! I think PBP 2019 is definitely something I will be aiming for! Well done to everyone.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #109 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:37:44 am »
I'll definitely be aiming at 2019, but I need to lighten up.  In recent years it seems that everything I can think of to put in the saddlebag instantly becomes indispensable.  Next time it'll be a loosely-packed Barley-equiv & mainly air in the HB bag.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #110 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:44:31 am »
TS , if your veloviewer stats are for real, you should have no problem with PBP.
In an Arrivee article in 2011, Tom Jackson reckoned 5000 miles between Jan 1st and PBP was enough to prepare for what was to come.
Obviously qualifying does take time and effort but go for it.
If you can get to the FFCT Semaine Federale in the next year or two , then that will give you a  small taste of what awaits at PBP.

« Reply #111 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:57:11 am »
TS , if your veloviewer stats are for real, you should have no problem with PBP.
In an Arrivee article in 2011, Tom Jackson reckoned 5000 miles between Jan 1st and PBP was enough to prepare for what was to come.
If you can get to the FFCT Semaine Federale in the next year or two , then that will give you a  small taste of what awaits at PBP.

Thanks madcow for your words! Everything in my veloviewer is real ;). But in this case 80/90 hours really scared me as BCM 600k was a real eye opener to my own abilities (and lack of them in certain areas) but the stories have inspired me. Would need a proper audax bike too! *didn't know I done nearly 10,000 km already  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #112 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:00:40 am »

Thanks madcow for your words! Everything in my veloviewer is real ;). But in this case 80/90 hours really scared me as BCM 600k was a real eye opener to my own abilities (and lack of them in certain areas) but the stories have inspired me. Would need a proper audax bike too!

Over here they reckon 5000 km but that's a bit light.  I had 6000-odd this year and could have done with more.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #113 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:04:41 am »
Between January and PBP I reckon I did 4,500 km, which includes the qualifiers & some touring. I also did a lot of running so I had the fitness.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

simonp

« Reply #114 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:15:41 am »
5,600km for me, plus a fair bit of turbo time in the 2 months leading up to PBP, and a fair bit of gym time in the first 3-4 months of the year.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #115 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:20:47 am »
7200km

Still way under what I've done in previous years by that point.  Very low mileage year this year.  April was a shocker with less than 500km from memory - worst month ever for me (cycling wise - it was a flipping brilliant month business wise!)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #116 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:57:11 am »
6,600km at the start line.
Crucially, I think the m ascent is lower than 2011, as well as the kms.

rob

« Reply #117 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:57:52 am »
Over 6,000 miles before I got to PBP - commuting/Audax/TT.

3 turbo sessions per week all Winter plus core strength work.

« Reply #118 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:10:08 pm »
I don't count miles but I'd suggest it would be 'lots'. Not Steve A lots but lots.

Still, I found the Beast Helpers 600k much more difficult than the PBP. It might be twice as long but there's crowds of riders, crowds of supporters and quite regular controls with lots of facilities. It's also sign-posted. Basically PBP is a long sportive.

« Reply #119 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
For 2011and 2015, I made 5000 miles my target. I had fewer audax events under my belt, but had improved on the climbing front so that the Breton hills were not scary, just long.
I reckon doing a 400k  or 600k  in 2018  (or sooner) will help you decide if you want to go for it.

« Reply #120 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »
Only managed 4200km on the start line, but seemed to include a lot of headwind in my qualifiers.

« Reply #121 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:45:20 pm »
I probably went into this PBP with the least miles in my legs ever. It just meant I had to notch up the determination & stubbornness in my head to compensate for this.

I suspect there is only so far this formula will work so I'll have to redress the balance a bit next time.

simonp

« Reply #122 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »
I did my workout.

I'm impressed.   Not getting back on my turbo until the 26th October when 2016 training commences.

Repeated it today. It was physically easier. But 4 weeks of endurance only workouts is going to be mentally tough. I might have to put the bike back together and get some outdoor miles in this weekend.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #123 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:51:46 pm »
I'd have a twiddle on the turbo but my PBP bike lacks a tyre. I'd put the old Ti bike on but the thought of sitting on my old saddle makes me wince - and the PBP bike is hanging up by my new one.

Think I'll go and roast some coffee.

« Reply #124 on: 31 August, 2015, 09:50:01 pm »
Those who have ever entered Ye Shedde may be amused to know that the route took us past the HQ in Gorron of Groupe Serap, which I reckon is close enough for the WOCAB invocation to apply.