Author Topic: PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 23680 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: PBP things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #150 on: 26 October, 2015, 07:30:54 am »
Last night I was at a birthday meal for cycling chum Hartmut. There were seven of us in the Turkish restaurant in Kempen.

One chap arrived slightly later than the rest dressed in cycling gear and he sat next to me. We had a brief chat and he said his name was Andreas. After some more conversation he said he'd ridden PBP and I talked to him a bit about it. He said he had ridden almost the entire way round with a couple of English people. I asked their names and he mentioned Tim Decker. What a small world! So I told Andreas that I was acquainted with Tim and we proceeded to have a conversation with Tim via Facebook Messenger which really tickled Andreas.

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #151 on: 26 October, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »
hmm. is he the same andreas that rode dave hudson's petworth events by going first on eurostar and then on megabus from cologne for three quid?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #152 on: 27 October, 2015, 02:05:39 pm »
Dunno but I think he said he did his qualifiers in Niederrhein.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #153 on: 27 October, 2015, 10:46:59 pm »
I rode the first part of Mille Alba with a German called Andreas.  Would have been about 2m tall.  Is this the same guy?  Very good company.  He made the mistake of hanging onto Swiss Hat's wheel for the rest of the first day and paid for it on the next two.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #154 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:30:53 am »
So what's the worst jersey people saw?

(This thought was prompted by a game lanternrouge and Andy C played at the Semaine Federale)

I only saw one which was truly awful, and it was the American dude riding fixed, in a jersey of black and red, with a flaming skull motif, and the words:

FIXED Paris-Brest-Paris FIXED
1200 kilometres
12,000 feet of climbing

Note the mixed units to make it seem more impressive. He was riding fixed, you know.

The first rule of riding fixed should be to shut the f*** up about riding fixed.  It's your own fault and it's not as tough as people imagine (especially over PBP terrain).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

rob

« Reply #155 on: 29 October, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »

(This thought was prompted by a game lanternrouge and Andy C played at the Semaine Federale)

I only saw one which was truly awful, and it was the American dude riding fixed, in a jersey of black and red, with a flaming skull motif, and the words:

1200 kilometres
12,000 feet of climbing

Note the mixed units to make it seem more impressive. He was riding fixed, you know.

The first rule of riding fixed should be to shut the f*** up about riding fixed.  It's your own fault and it's not as tough as people imagine (especially over PBP terrain).

Hmmm....no smiley so I assume you're being serious.   Therefore, Lee, have you done PBP on fixed ?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #156 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:08:44 am »

1200 kilometres
12,000 feet of climbing

Hmmm....no smiley so I assume you're being serious.   Therefore, Lee, have you done PBP on fixed ?

I wouldn't talk about it if I had. (But no I haven't). Actually I didn't manage to finish PBP this time even using 20 gears.
I know very well what it's like to ride fixed and single-speed though.
I know that only having one gear sounds more restrictive than it is in practice, and that advertising the fact on a jersey, that you are on fixed, is playing to the myth that it's much harder than it actually is.  Anyone who cares about such things will know it's a Fixed and give you the respect you deserve.

Respect if you rode PBP on fixed, it's a long way to ride such a device (The people I know who rode Fixed don't even mention the fact), but there are riders on PBP with ailments far more restrictive than using just a single gear who don't mention it on their jersey.
If I could trade my neck/shoulder problems for a Single-speed in 2019 then I'd ride PBP again.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #157 on: 30 October, 2015, 04:29:32 pm »

Did it also have, in small print across the rear pockets:  Supported by my long-suffering wife and her sister who drive the RV between controls, cook my food and ensure that I have regular changes of kit, thereby ensuring that I have to carry only the barest of essentials and do not have to risk any of this foreign food ?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #158 on: 30 October, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »
Nothing on my jersey informed people I was riding recumbent - I left it to others to work that out for themselves
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #159 on: 01 November, 2015, 01:05:41 pm »

Did it also have, in small print across the rear pockets:  Supported by my long-suffering wife and her sister who drive the RV between controls, cook my food and ensure that I have regular changes of kit, thereby ensuring that I have to carry only the barest of essentials and do not have to risk any of this foreign food ?

;D

He was really funny about the food - I thought he was going to have a meltdown at the sandwich bar at Mortagne when looking at the choice of, erm, sandwiches. I did point out the restaurant at the other end of the hall, but he wasn't keen.

simonp

« Reply #160 on: 01 November, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »
The jersey is rather pointless. Plenty people both other riders and bystanders at controls commented on my drivetrain.

As I've mentioned before, one rider in 2011 said "No helmet, carradice, fixed. You must be British." 

« Reply #161 on: 01 November, 2015, 02:06:53 pm »
The Velo Club Othen jersey is interesting. Having a lingerie shop as a sponsor dictates things, but there's too much else going on. I dread to think what the skin suit is like.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #162 on: 01 November, 2015, 03:34:09 pm »
That looks like a really pretty bra.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #163 on: 02 November, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »
The Velo Club Othen jersey is interesting. Having a lingerie shop as a sponsor dictates things, but there's too much else going on. I dread to think what the skin suit is like.

MAMI Lingerie would be on the NSFW section ...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #164 on: 02 November, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

one of them was riding in our group, there's a more interesting view from behind. The photo of the same lady facing forward means half of the jersey is covered in blond hair combined with the masculine shape of the rider creates a pretty strong "wtf" factor.

« Reply #165 on: 03 November, 2015, 05:33:46 pm »
Sounds like good hallucination material!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #166 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #167 on: 29 May, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »
Is it time for the PBP sub-board to dissolve into the general Audax board, leaving room for the inevitable LEL17 sub-board?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #168 on: 10 August, 2016, 02:29:36 pm »
Is it time for the PBP sub-board to dissolve into the general Audax board, leaving room for the inevitable LEL17 sub-board?

Looks as though there are multiple LEL threads starting to develop so maybe now is about time  - Mods??
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Chris S

« Reply #169 on: 10 August, 2016, 03:47:12 pm »

Looks as though there are multiple LEL threads starting to develop so maybe now is about time  - Mods??

Mrs Miles usually takes time off around now to get away for her annual waxing; might have to wait 'til she's back.

« Reply #170 on: 14 October, 2016, 12:38:41 pm »
This week's Comic has the PBP road race as its inside back page feature (with a one sentence reference to the randonee)
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #171 on: 15 October, 2016, 09:29:13 am »
It is always interesting to see how they did things in the 'olden days'. http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/stories/brestward-ho/before-the-start.html is the first section of Jock Wadley's piece on riding PBP in 1971, along with TdF anecdotes. I am impressed how his experiences, conclusions and advice are still so relevant, even though PBP has grown nearly 20 times the size in the last four decades.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #172 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:23:02 pm »
It is always interesting to see how they did things in the 'olden days'. http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/stories/brestward-ho/before-the-start.html is the first section of Jock Wadley's piece on riding PBP in 1971, along with TdF anecdotes. I am impressed how his experiences, conclusions and advice are still so relevant, even though PBP has grown nearly 20 times the size in the last four decades.

Great read, I'll save part 2 for later.