Author Topic: Cambridge Market 200 perm  (Read 1668 times)

Cambridge Market 200 perm
« on: 24 August, 2015, 01:23:12 pm »
The Cambridge Market 200 is one of four 200 km permanent rides starting in Girton (near Cambridge), organized by Nick Wilkinson (wilkyboy OTP). This one is an out-and-back to Framlingham in east Suffolk, and I rode it on Saturday with fellow CTC Cambridge rider Daniel.

It's a simple and direct route with easy navigation, making use of quieter A roads to cover the distance efficiently. First, it takes the A1303 to Newmarket, and then climbs out of Newmarket via Warren Hill, past the "gallops" where we saw jockeys exercising their racehorses.

A couple of small climbs to Gazeley and Barrow follow, and then it's mostly downhill to Bury St Edmunds for the first control. On Saturday the market was bustling and there were many tempting food stalls. We bought crêpes and carried them down to the Abbey gardens for a picnic breakfast in the shade.

The route heads eastwards out of Bury on NCN51 using a high-quality cycle path as far as Thurston, then turning southeast past Stowmarket. On this section the southeasterly wind was blowing hot air in our faces and I was very glad to reach the turn at Needham Market, where Elton House News is clearly familiar with dazed audaxers wandering around the store—the assistant pointed me straight at the flapjacks.

The route leaves Needham Market across the River Gipping, where the grand Hawks Mill has been converted into flats:

After some pretty lanes, the route joins the A1120 for some miles. Nick says in the ride description that here in east Suffolk, “even the A roads are more like B roads and the traffic levels are low” which we found to be accurate. The farmers were busy taking advantage of the weather to get in the wheat—there were combine harvesters at work everywhere, and convoys of farm machinery on the roads.

Framlingham has a market and several cafés. We stopped at the bakery at the corner of Bridge Street and New Road, where we could sit outside and watch dozens of cyclists coming through, a mixture of speedy clubs and parents with children. We took a quick look at the castle, but didn't fancy paying the £7.20 to go inside, not with the audax clock ticking away.

The route back to Cambridge is almost the same as the way out, except that it avoids the diversion to Needham Market and goes direct to Bury instead. We were flagging a bit in the heat (30 degrees in the shade) and needed to stop at the garage in Newmarket to top up our water supplies (I drank six bottles of water), but there was a tailwind and we were back at the Co-op in Girton in just under 12 hours.

It's not my favourite of Nick's rides (that would be the Pork Pie 200) but it was very satisfying to get so far east into Suffolk and to ride so many roads that were new to me. The thing that was most annoying was the sun: since the route heads east in the morning and west in the afternoon, we had it in our eyes all day, and even with sunglasses this got a bit trying. My advice is to ride it on an overcast day!

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
Re: Cambridge Market 200 perm
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:35:52 am »
I rode this solo on Friday (conscious decision due to a forecast easterly). As noted this has some really pretty sections (the laney kms between Newmarket and Bury stood out for me) and despite a rather chilly start ended up being a most enjoyable day out.

A flat and fast (ish) route out to Newmarket where I arrived at the Gallops just as the blood orange sun was cresting the distant hilltops. There must have been 50 horses at least and I had to wait a while at the bottom for a large troupe to cross. Once over the top the lanes were lovely all the way to Bury. I had a quick stops at Greggs then headed out for the dog leg to Framlingham. The route becomes much more exposed from about 20k outside Framlingham and it was fairly hard work into the increasing headwind making me glad to grab a 40 min break in a very quaint little café in the centre of town.

As is usual, the expected shove in the back tailwind never quite delivers to the extent your headwind addled brain thinks it ought to and I found the first few k out of Framlingham harder work than expected. In the end, an uneventful run back through to Bury where I stopped again briefly in Waitrose. The final leg through to Newmarket (complete with great fast shallow descent for what seemed like miles) and then the much more dull run back along the A1303 to Cambridge.

So, number 2 ticked off the list of Nick's perms. Mulling over which to do next month...

Oh - one thing did occur to me as I was riding round - Nick, you are not far off having a WilkyBoy Perm SR.... :-) That could be interesting, nice badge etc....

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »
Looks like another nice perm. Only up to 2 perms and 1 calendar event of Nick's rides. Must work out my winter schedule.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2016, 12:39:18 am »
Oh - one thing did occur to me as I was riding round - Nick, you are not far off having a WilkyBoy Perm SR.... :-) That could be interesting, nice badge etc....

I'm glad you enjoyed Cambridge Market, Scott.  Yes, Cambridge SR is in the works, it takes a lot of time to organise the longer events, not least of which is first attaining the higher organiser levels.  Already thinking of badge designs  ;)

Looks like another nice perm. Only up to 2 perms and 1 calendar event of Nick's rides. Must work out my winter schedule.

You'll have the opportunity for another calendar ride on 18 March 2017 — another slice of The Cambridge Pork Pie.  There might also be some Extra Pork Pie — I have to ride it first to see if it's worth the extra portion ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...