Author Topic: 2016 AUK Reunion  (Read 22438 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: 2016 AUK Reunion
« Reply #50 on: 22 September, 2016, 11:16:00 pm »
Are ACH planing to ride down on the Saturday?
I am weighing up options and if there are, may join them at some lively venue on the Way to the West.
H

+1  :thumbsup:

We can discuss a strategy on Friday  :thumbsup:

I would be happy to meet up with London Village bound vagabonds at some poin along the way on Saturday and imagine that Warminster or Salisbury would fit the bill.

H

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 23 September, 2016, 08:08:56 am »
Was the form in arrivee?

No - unfortunately booking details weren't finalised at the time of going to press.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 28 September, 2016, 06:30:47 pm »
Excellent - reasonable train prices for Fri-Sun return trip  :thumbsup:

But wait - what's this?

(click to show/hide)
Still, more expensive trains are available at other times. I guess they'll do. Hrumph.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 28 September, 2016, 06:44:19 pm »
<sigh>

Anyhoo ... No bike booking on my train from Bristol TM to Taunton. Will i have any problems squeezing on at 10:53am?

(and is anyone doing a gentle ride from Bristol -> Taunton on Friday? Not starting before 10:43am!  :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:55:06 pm »
The booking form for the reunion is now available to use, you can access it here :

http://www.aukweb.net/official/agm/

And details on the weekends events below...

AUK Reunion Weekend Schedule of events

Friday 11th November

08.00 Dinner Dart 200km Group ride 

For any riders who would like to join us we have a group Dinner Dart leaving Bristol behind Temple Meads Station at 08.00. There will be a bag drop taking anything you need for the weekend down to the Hotel at Taunton. The route can be viewed at :

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14908694?privacy_code=37vRGoMI6VSafK7n

We start off at the Weatherspoon’s so time for breakfast before we leave, then at 40km we have a coffee stop at Sweets Tea Rooms. Lunch stop at the Lyn Valley Hotel 127km, and an afternoon break at the Withypool Tea Room.  (there may be a few final changes to the route before its finalised but its 90% correct)

19.00 - Dinner at the Hotel - Whether riding or not! a few beers at the bar then off for some food. (NB. Friday night meal is not included in weekend costs)

20.00 - Screening of ACB PBP2015. A short film from clips and footage of PBP 2015 taken by ACB riders during the event.  By Ben Holder.

20.30 - Screening of “Inspired to ride”. The film follows a handful of cyclists from around the world as they race unsupported in the inaugural year of a 4,233 mile transcontinental race across the USA. This race is the antithesis to events like Tour de France and Race Across America. There are no teams, no support vehicles, no special jerseys and not a dime in prize money. Featuring our Guest Speaker Mike Hall.

All attending will have a chance to win giveaways from the Film, T-shirt, DVDs x 3 and posters to be won!

Saturday 12th November

07.00 - Breakfast

9.00am - A Social 100km ride across Exmoor (there will also be an optional 50km loop) Full Route :

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14863910?privacy_code=6N9EeMBnXBmo4Bgw

15.00 - Afternoon discussion sessions (open forum) topics to be decided

19.00 - Annual Dinner and Awards Ceremony with Guest Speaker Mike Hall

21.45 - Preview screening of Damon Peacocks 2016 Mille Pennine film

Sunday 13th November

07.00 - Breakfast

08.00  - After Dinner Dart 200km Group ride

Again for any riders wishing to join us we have a 200km route back to Bristol Temple Meads Station. The bag drop service will return all bags to the finish for those continuing their journey by train or otherwise. The route can be viewed at :

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14957696?privacy_code=rf6nODWHSf14Sksk

Taunton start, Portland Bill stop at  80km, Bruton stop at 160km. (again there may be a few final tweaks to the route)

Chris S

« Reply #55 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:57:57 pm »
As it's not an AGM, do AUK delegates need to pay their own way?

Phil W

« Reply #56 on: 04 October, 2016, 08:28:13 pm »
Submitted form. Now just need to pay and sort out my 200 riide down on the Friday with a shorter return on the Sunday.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #57 on: 05 October, 2016, 11:44:19 am »
I'm reckoning on riding down from West London on the Friday. When the dust settles (and I've avoided the A303...) it will be around 250km. Maybe meet up with those planning to start from Reading  or else where en-route?

Not sure about the return. I might visit local friends and family.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:02:22 pm »
it will be around 250km.
So you'll be nicely in time for cocktails? Super!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #59 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:06:25 pm »
it will be around 250km.
So you'll be nicely in time for cocktails? Super!
Alas no cheap early morning tickets to BTM from London on a school day...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »
I'm going for the wimpy daylight-only option [well, mostly anyway], all weekend.

No points for me!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #61 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:50:51 pm »
Bookings are filling up nicely so thanks for all the support  :thumbsup:

In response to Chris's earlier post I have just heard today :

"AUK delegates will be invited to attend as guests of AUK (hopefully today) so they will not have to pay"

« Reply #62 on: 05 October, 2016, 02:12:56 pm »
I'm really tempted. It'll be great to hear Mike talk for sure.
Does not play well with others

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #63 on: 05 October, 2016, 06:41:35 pm »
I'm really tempted. It'll be great to hear Mike talk for sure.

Come on down!

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #64 on: 06 October, 2016, 01:13:37 pm »
<sigh>

Anyhoo ... No bike booking on my train from Bristol TM to Taunton. Will i have any problems squeezing on at 10:53am?

(and is anyone doing a gentle ride from Bristol -> Taunton on Friday? Not starting before 10:43am!  :) )

I will be at work in Bristol that day (probably) and often ride back home on a Friday if the weather is nice
Home is via Taunton.  Home is 110km so I guess Taunton is 85km-ish.  Route I take goes down Cheddar Gorge

I could get off work at 4-ish at the earliest.  Not sure if this is any help

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 06 October, 2016, 01:30:15 pm »
It'll be nearly dark at 4-ish :( 

Nice idea V, but current plan is to make Bristol at 10-something. I'll either ride down the Gorge [I've only ever been up it], or maybe get the train to somewhere like Bridgewater to get to untrodden paths a bit quicker.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #66 on: 06 October, 2016, 05:05:47 pm »

Nice idea V, but current plan is to make Bristol at 10-something. I'll either ride down the Gorge [I've only ever been up it], or maybe get the train to somewhere like Bridgewater to get to untrodden paths a bit quicker.

Bridgewater, you say?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:37:26 pm »
Is everyone in the SW a smart-arse?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #68 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:44:27 pm »
Is everyone in the SW a smart-arse?

They just get irritated by gratuitous misspelling.

« Reply #69 on: 07 October, 2016, 08:48:45 am »
Oh dear - trouble over Bridgwater

« Reply #70 on: 07 October, 2016, 10:25:15 am »

I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't MattC.  ;)

« Reply #71 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »

It's what Simon & Garfunkel intended all along.

« Reply #72 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »

Bridgewater, you say?
Ordinarily I'd say no chance, but a cyclist with Matt C's Herculean strength could probably get  enough speed out of Bridgewater, through Noo Yahk, Long Island. Then with a suitable ramp at  MONT AUK (yes it's a real place),  he could skim across the Atlantic.  Sadly I fear the Coriolis effect might deflect such a valiant attempt towards Greenland. The Canary Islands.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 07 October, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
(There's an obvious "[Hurricane] Matthew blows Matt off [course]" joke in there, if anyone fancies it.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Phil W

« Reply #74 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:10:47 am »
Probably going to aim to ride from Swindon. I've worked out a 160km route from there to the Holiday Inn. So find an extra 40km and I can start a fresh RRTY :facepalm: 'cause of bike of train restrictions of a weekday morning it'll involve a drive round and park job. Then a 160km ride back on the Sunday.