Author Topic: OS mapping deal...  (Read 1385 times)

OS mapping deal...
« on: 24 January, 2024, 06:50:38 pm »
Just in case anyone's interested OS mapping have an annual deal for their "OS Maps Premium annual subscription"at £24.99 (£10 off).  ~£2pm is not bad.  Also have an augmented reality mode, with place names shown on mobile phone screen based on compass sensor.

https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os-maps-12-months-recurring-subscription/

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Re: OS mapping deal...
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2024, 01:03:19 pm »
My sub doesn't run out until May.

Agreed, this is a great deal. I use it all the time.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2024, 01:17:11 pm »
Great deal, if you're not too fussed about storing maps locally.  I gave up on the OS app because its map-downloading implementation was half-arsed, and bought the maps in Memory-Map, which at least allows you to download the entire map to local storage in one go.

« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2024, 08:28:36 pm »
Great deal, if you're not too fussed about storing maps locally.  I gave up on the OS app because its map-downloading implementation was half-arsed, and bought the maps in Memory-Map, which at least allows you to download the entire map to local storage in one go.

The blurb says "You can download your maps offline before you set off".  Is that not the case?

ian

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2024, 08:32:37 pm »
Works fine for me, select the area and 'add a custom offline map'

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2024, 08:57:36 pm »

The blurb says "You can download your maps offline before you set off".  Is that not the case?

Yes you can download, but the issue is that 'tiles' have to be downloaded which are restricted in area (can't remember offhand, perhaps 40 miles x 30 miles, will check, but you define what you want until it says it's big enough). You can do more than one at a time and they can overlap. It would be better to have much larger areas (and in the sadly missed Viewranger, this was nicely managed), but it's only an inconvenience at the setting up stage. I've had the app just over a year and have just renewed - I've seen big improvements to it and they seem to be receptive to feedback.
Be aware that the 30% off opening deal is for the first year only, thereafter it reverts to full price, which still isn't a lot.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2024, 09:15:58 pm »
As I say, it's half-arsed.  If you're off to somewhere new, you have to remember to do that draggy box rubbish while you still have a decent net connection, rather than just downloading the whole country in one go and forgetting about it until times of need.

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2024, 09:27:09 pm »
The subscription includes 1:50k and 1:25 - it seamlessly switches from one to the other as you zoom. It also includes their vector mapping, which I like a lot (downloads include all three layers). This originally wasn't available as a download but it is now (I lobbied them for that). The vector is the free version which is the one you get in the unpaid version of the app.

rr

« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2024, 10:40:31 pm »
I use outdooractive, for a similar price it gives you the local equivalent of OS maps worldwide. Great for guessing where TCR participants are going as well as holidays and virtual tourism.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2024, 07:55:43 am »

+1 for Memory Map (especially when they run deals) - I've been using it since 2004 - great pity they stopped the French and Belgian IGN maps (but I do have old copies :thumbsup:)   The whole of the UK at 1-50 and 1-25 on my PC, phone and tablet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2024, 12:56:47 pm »

+1 for Memory Map (especially when they run deals) - I've been using it since 2004 - great pity they stopped the French and Belgian IGN maps (but I do have old copies :thumbsup:)   The whole of the UK at 1-50 and 1-25 on my PC, phone and tablet.

It's not as good as Viewranger (a pox on Outdooractive for ruining that), but it solves the maps-in-your-pocket problem well enough.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2024, 04:40:58 pm »
I have Anquet Outdoor map navigator on my phone which I got to replace the sadly missed viewranger. It enables you to download maps to store on your phone (as did viewranger when you bought them). It isn't as good as the OS app as you have to manually switch between 1:50000 and 1:25000 but I can live with that. You can upload a route from a gpx etc and record a track, which it seems to do nicely without draining the phone battery. You pay an annual subscription, get the maps for local storage and get updates 4 times per year.

I got fed up with trying to remember to download the OS maps before I needed them, also I think for those with a memory challenged phone you can't save them to an SD card.

I can't remember whether I looked at memory map and discounted it, or whether I didn't check it out.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2024, 09:37:45 pm »
They are also doing a cheaper deal if you buy three paper maps.  They must know that most people buying multiple maps need four, since Sod's Law says you always live in a corner.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2024, 08:26:21 am »
They are also doing a cheaper deal if you buy three paper maps.  They must know that most people buying multiple maps need four, since Sod's Law says you always live in a corner.

It's aimed at people who enjoy life on the edge.