Author Topic: Crisp sandwiches  (Read 7784 times)

Crisp sandwiches
« on: 29 July, 2019, 11:34:35 am »
A spin off from tinned potatoes...

Unlike Ian, I am not happiest with a crisp sandwich.

But I get a totally disproportionate* amount of pleasure from eating one!

* in relation to the proletarian simplicity of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Crisp sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:37:57 am »
Don't know about crisp sandwiches, but the current fashion for serving crisps with a sandwich is something I don't get. It's too much dry with dry, starch with starch, and not enough bulk.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2019, 12:17:26 pm »
I genuinely do love crisp sandwiches. It's important to use adequate amounts of butter and apply a precise level of pressure to suitably break up the crisps without destroying the crunch. They should be eaten quickly (as if you couldn't) before the crisps get soggy. You don't need fancy 'handcooked' crisps to be honest, Walkers will do. Never, ever McCoys, as they're minging faux-crisps. You can do Pringles but I wouldn't bother as they're tubular dissatisfaction. Proper crisps is where it's at.

You can do other snacks, like pickle flavour Monster Munch or Quavers, but that's really occasion food and again suffers in comparison to actual crisps. Scampi Fries aren't bad, but I'd reserve those for ambassadorial receptions and the like – these should, of course, be served before the Ferrera Rocher course.

I suspect I can put anything in a sandwich to make it better. I've been to posh restaurants and looked at my food all elegantly delicately plated and thought to be myself if only I had two rounds of buttered bread. If I could be bothered, I'd Instagram posh food made into sandwiches. I'd travel around Michelin starred restaurants with a loaf of bread in my bag.

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2019, 03:08:38 pm »
Back in the day, a barm cake and a bag of crisps to make a crisp sandwich (in the school tuck shop).

essexian

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2019, 03:20:54 pm »
Crisp sandwiches are great.... I had one with some salad for lunch!

I suspect I can put anything in a sandwich to make it better.

There was a dieting programme on a few years back: you know the type where they wire up the home and then catch them doing naughty things with food (and yes, I think I really should have reworded that but it made me smile so I am leaving it in). The naughty thing in this case was making a "pie barm." Yes, putting a pie in a barm cake (a large bread roll for us Southerners....I had one in Preston once so knew what it was)...... got to say, it looked lovely but sadly, CBH restricts my intake of pies. Something to do with not dying before my time.

Actually thinking about it, Pie and Mash is my local dish so I think she is being regionalist!

« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:33:51 pm »
I genuinely do love crisp sandwiches. It's important to use adequate amounts of butter and apply a precise level of pressure to suitably break up the crisps without destroying the crunch. They should be eaten quickly (as if you couldn't) before the crisps get soggy. You don't need fancy 'handcooked' crisps to be honest, Walkers will do. Never, ever McCoys, as they're minging faux-crisps. You can do Pringles but I wouldn't bother as they're tubular dissatisfaction. Proper crisps is where it's at.

I thought the whole point of crisp sandwiches was to use Walkers or supermarket cheap'n'nasty own-brand equivalents for the proper experience, because it's got to be white slice for the bread. Start using the decent-flavoured premium crisps, and they call for freshly-baked sandwich or farmhouse loaves. Which makes me think that there may be a gap in the pop-up hipster "ironic" gastronomy market - crisp sandwiches using Walkers Deli/Kettle Chips/Pipers crisps in sourdough or ciabatta, served from a Citroën HY van... :demon:

I suspect I can put anything in a sandwich to make it better. I've been to posh restaurants and looked at my food all elegantly delicately plated and thought to be myself if only I had two rounds of buttered bread. If I could be bothered, I'd Instagram posh food made into sandwiches. I'd travel around Michelin starred restaurants with a loaf of bread in my bag.

White slice for maximum trolling, of course.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:45:19 pm »
Mmmm
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:08:24 pm »
I've eaten all sorts.
But I've never had a crisp sandwich.
I'm curious.
I might give it a go this weekend.
Do they still sell Mother's Pride?

BTW, in terms of pairing foods, never, ever, ever consider having a white grape with English mustard.
Individually, both are more than fine - the former particularly so, if someone has taken the trouble to ferment it.
Combined, they are the work of Stan.
Oscar's Dad, you should view this as the proverbial gauntlet, swiftly deposited at our collective nadir.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:18:32 pm »
Indeed, and who needs an 'artisan' crisp sandwich. Cheap crisps is better.

I'm not a complete gastronoramus, I don't mind wholemeal bread, but it has to be medium or thin or the soft to hard carb ratio goes askew and no one wants that.

As for pies in sandwiches, keep up at the back, that's the Jesus Sandwich. Triple decker, pie on the bottom deck, chips on top. Generally there should be gravy enough the pie, but I understand northerners don't consider it enough gravy unless there's enough to fill a bath. If you're concerned there's not enough veg in your diet, it's completely permissible to add mushy peas to the top deck. Trust me, this is documented in the Bible, admittedly in one of the lesser-known Apocrypha.

I've never had a mashed potato sandwich. I'm not sure that would work, the beauty of a crisp sandwich is the contrasting but strangely complementary textures.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:19:42 pm »
I eat crisps on sandwiches regularly, never had crisps on their own tho' always with another filling(s) such as cheese or egg mayo.

« Reply #10 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:22:46 pm »
Avocado & Frazzles.  Just saying.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »
Avocado has no place in civilized society.

« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:47:22 pm »
I've never had a mashed potato sandwich. I'm not sure that would work, the beauty of a crisp sandwich is the contrasting but strangely complementary textures.
A housemate of mine, when we were PSOs, once had plain boiled pasta on toast for lunch. There may have been butter on the toast, but I'm not sure.
I know he'd put food colouring in the pasta so it was blue.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:58:19 pm »

I thought the whole point of crisp sandwiches was to use Walkers or supermarket cheap'n'nasty own-brand equivalents for the proper experience, because it's got to be white slice for the bread. Start using the decent-flavoured premium crisps, and they call for freshly-baked sandwich or farmhouse loaves. Which makes me think that there may be a gap in the pop-up hipster "ironic" gastronomy market - crisp sandwiches using Walkers Deli/Kettle Chips/Pipers crisps in sourdough or ciabatta, served from a Citroën HY van... :demon:
I would be surprised if this is not being done.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:01:13 pm »
Is it just crisps in between two slices of bread, or are you adding crisps to a sandwich with filling.

No to start an arguement!!!! Is this a:

1-Bread Roll
2-Balm
3-Balm cake
4-Bread Cake
5-Cob

Edit: added no5

« Reply #15 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:04:30 pm »
Barm cake in Liverpool.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:13:34 pm »
I'm not sure crisps need anything else, but certainly they can elevate a plain sandwich to something more heavenly.

And those things are cobs.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #17 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:15:46 pm »
I'm not sure crisps need anything else, but certainly they can elevate a plain sandwich to something more heavenly.

The plain ham sandwich can be elevated to awesomeness.

Any mention of the sugar sandwich?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:25:40 pm »
Is it just crisps in between two slices of bread, or are you adding crisps to a sandwich with filling.

1-Bread Roll
2-Balm
3-Balm cake
4-Bread Cake
5-Cob

Bap? Bun?

« Reply #19 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:31:26 pm »
I used to eat Heinz spaghetti in sandwiches, but maybe I'm risking opening a can of worms.

« Reply #20 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:32:05 pm »
A housemate of mine, when we were PSOs, once had plain boiled pasta on toast for lunch. There may have been butter on the toast, but I'm not sure.
I know he'd put food colouring in the pasta so it was blue.
Was this Moose, following one of the binge listenings-to of H2GT2?

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:38:07 pm »

1-Bread Roll
2-Balm
3-Balm cake
4-Bread Cake
5-Cob

Ah stolen from the Manchester University study.

« Reply #22 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:11:35 pm »
Was this Moose, following one of the binge listenings-to of H2GT2?
How did you guess?  ;D
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:32:59 pm »
I used to eat Heinz spaghetti in sandwiches, but maybe I'm risking opening a can of worms.

;D ;D ;D

or vermicelli...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:06:52 pm »
Yum!
It is simpler than it looks.