Author Topic: things i don't understand  (Read 24306 times)

Re: things i don't understand
« Reply #25 on: 25 April, 2019, 08:57:11 pm »
Methamphetamine is readily available and I'm sure must taste better.

Less risk of a sugar crash, but an increased chance of deciding that you'd like to strip down and rebuild your bike several times at the next control...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #26 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:04:46 pm »
Magnetism. I don't get that either. In theory, when explained to me, I do. But then my mind turns all glassy and the explanation slides off.

I have a magnetically levitated globe in my office and every time I look at it, it makes me shiver.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:07:01 pm »
Magnetism. I don't get that either. In theory, when explained to me, I do. But then my mind turns all glassy and the explanation slides off.

I have a magnetically levitated globe in my office and every time I look at it, it makes me shiver.

From the department of Clarke's third law:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ws6AAhTw7RA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ws6AAhTw7RA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/Ws6AAhTw7RA

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #28 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:30:52 pm »
The roads up here are lined with Lucozade, Monster and other type drink containers. No wonder the bears are so stoked.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:39:51 pm »

Less risk of a sugar crash, but an increased chance of deciding that you'd like to strip down and rebuild your bike several times at the next control...

I've seen MAJOR health issues from amphetamines and would avoid.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #30 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:41:24 pm »
I quite like the taste of full sugar redbull but haven't drank any in years. I've never drank monster but I know a few people my age who got into it, some of whom have recently acquired a formal diagnosis of ADHD where the silly-caffeine had that paradoxical effect of calming them down and helping them focus...

I have a friend who I first met after he'd drank 3 litres of redbull and was still awake THREE days later, as he had some sign language and it was VERY noisy in that pub, he was signing away at a very rapid pace cos he was in a completely different time sphere to everyone else. He was one of those overworking young geeky men in computing jobs where he frequently worked long hours on whatever nerdiness he did and consumed obscene (as in litres a day at times) energy drinks. A few years later he did ditch the energy drinks after a health scare and only drank normal caffeinated drinks like diet coke...

« Reply #31 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:51:02 pm »

We were both being tongue-in-cheek - at least, I know I was...  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:57:43 pm »
Come on Eileen!

I knew you were but the memory of a patient with a sky-high temperature gives me the heeby-jeebies...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #33 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:48:35 am »
Why does coffee make you poo?  Even a good smell of coffee can trigger the dump valve.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #34 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:12:48 am »
Eating does it with me. Food in, fart out,* sayeth the sage, and what is farting but the war-trumpet of peristalsis? As Robert Herrick put it:

Defecation is the end
Peristalsis doth intend.

It passeth all understanding. Whoop-dee-doo.

* wild bells
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:32:02 am »
My chum Young Master Robert normally eschews caffeine entirely, the freak, but was once attempting the HPV Hour Record on the Opel test track in That Germany.  He had an early mechanical and while the spanner-monkeys were doing surgery on the Mango's innards he drank two cans of Brown Cow.  I'm told he then took off at well above record pace and was still pedalling at 50+ mph as the bike veered off the track, fell in a hole and broke in half.  Just say no, kids.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:40:39 am »

Back in the day, I had a short contract working for [REDACTED] who made console games for [REDACTED]. They kept a stash of whiz in the First Aid cupboard, and when it came to deadline time, the devs on the frontline would get stuck into the code-face fully "enabled".

I remember coming into the office one Monday morning and the two guys who sat opposite me were still coding, where I left them on Friday evening. By then, they were pale, wide-eyed, and I swear almost semi-transparent.

I have no idea if their code was any good, but it took them at least a week to recover. Madness.

fuzzy

« Reply #37 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:03:56 pm »
I don't understand how folk with FOB bass speakers booming out at window rattling volume in the boot of their chavmobiles have any eardrums left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:33:28 pm »
I don't understand how folk with FOB bass speakers booming out at window rattling volume in the boot of their chavmobiles have any eardrums left.

Judging by their taste in music, they don't.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 26 April, 2019, 02:18:12 pm »
Eating does it with me. Food in, fart out,* sayeth the sage, and what is farting but the war-trumpet of peristalsis? As Robert Herrick put it:
Defecation is the end
Peristalsis doth intend.

It passeth all understanding. Whoop-dee-doo.
* wild bells

The gastro-colic reflex is a well-known physiological Thing.

The cats seem to go outside halfway though their breakfast...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 26 April, 2019, 02:21:37 pm »

Nor do I!

Thankfully. there seem to be fewer boom-box cars hereabouts than 15 years ago.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 26 April, 2019, 02:48:23 pm »
I wonder if the standing wave being longer than the chavmobile has something to do with it?  I expect the bass is louder *outside* the car.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #42 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:13:25 pm »
I wonder if that has an effect on peristalsis. It's usually shit music.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #43 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:25:08 pm »
I wonder if that has an effect on peristalsis. It's usually shit music.

Mythbusters tested the "brown note" theory back in 2005, and were unable to get Adam Savage to fill the Depends he was wearing for the experiments.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:29:17 pm »
Beware the brown note! A resonating sphincter is a dangerous territory.

Reminds me, a chavmobile zoomed past me in Streatham the other days, and he'd evidently somehow attached a sound system to the accelerator, so every time he zoomed forward (and he was, of course, of the accelerate and break school of driving) his car went WOOF WOOF WOOOOOOF in a who-let-the-dogs-out fashion.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:31:36 pm »
Why do people who play loud music with the car windows rolled down ALWAYS listen to shit music?  It's either rank drum amd bass, some gangsta rapper shouting about how he's gonna pop a cap in yo' monkey ass or appalling dance/soul drivel in the Craig David mould.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 26 April, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »
Why do people who play loud music with the car windows rolled down ALWAYS listen to shit music?  It's either rank drum amd bass, some gangsta rapper shouting about how he's gonna pop a cap in yo' monkey ass or appalling dance/soul drivel in the Craig David mould.

I think it's the same social process as sodcasting tinny music from your mobile phone on public transport.  Every now and then you do get someone who's too incompetent to use headphones or showing a video to a friend, just as you do occasionally come across people listening to proper music (or speech) with the car windows open in hot weather.

But the overwhelming majority aren't doing it to listen to the music, they're doing it to dominate the space (possibly out of fear as much as aggression), and the choice of music reflects that.  It's the audio equivalent of manspreading, and it's no coincidence that the perpetrators are overwhelmingly young and male.

I've yet to work out which category tinny music leaking from implausibly loud headphones comes under.

But even as a veteran of ukc.misc, I can't explain the phenomenon of Craig David.

« Reply #47 on: 26 April, 2019, 04:22:15 pm »
But even as a veteran of ukc.misc, I can't explain the phenomenon of Craig David.

Best filed under "Things Man Was Not Meant to Know".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 26 April, 2019, 06:07:18 pm »

People who like music I might call 'tasteful' (YMMV) usually find no reason to deafen themselves and spoil the music by playing it LOUD.

HTH & HAND

You KNOW I'm middled-aged when...

« Reply #49 on: 26 April, 2019, 06:48:29 pm »
I have been known to drive along with the windows open and the radio on full blast with the Ride of the Valkyries on.
(Was out in the middle of the countryside though).

I think we forget how load things have to be to be a sensible level in a car, particularly an old one. I used to be able to hear radio 4 on MrsC's car when she pulled up on the drive and I was in the house.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."