Author Topic: Essex PBP Seminar - 11th October, 8pm  (Read 12145 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Essex PBP Seminar - 11th October, 8pm
« on: 08 August, 2014, 12:04:18 pm »
Suddenly people are getting excited about that French Ride - 'cos there's about a year to go, possibly..... As Mid-Essex's resident 'Ancien', I keep getting quizzed, which is very flattering......so.....I think a formal meeting might be called for, with a proper agenda n'all. I may be able to rope in a few survivors from previous epics too. I think it might make sense to include the Essex Super Randonneur medal ceremony in the proceedings.

Venue: 'The Compasses', Littley Green, inevitably, though I'm open to ideas.

Date/time: A Saturday evening in October: I can do any except the 18th, so provisionally I'll plump for 11th October at 8pm and see how that suits. Could be a lunch-time meeting, if folk are travelling further to/from.

All welcome, from north of the Stour, south of the Thames and west of the Lea/Stort. And from East across the North Sea, even.

Taking on PBP entails a certain responsibility: To my knowledge, no Essex rider has EVER failed on this event, [though some have run it pretty damn close.] The typical overall drop-out rate is around 15%; nearly 30% in 2007 - the 'Wet PBP', [with headwinds both ways!!] So being properly prepared is a GOOD  THING !

Re: Essex PBP Seminar
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2014, 03:07:31 pm »
What a great idea Tom. If you need support (is that allowed on a PBP seminar?), let me know.

Regards Phil
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: in diary  ;D

CM3 1BU ?????

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2014, 05:05:38 pm »
Tomsk
Will the Essex SR Be run next year?
If it is will the dates be brought forward to fall within the qualification dates?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2014, 07:37:26 pm »
Tomsk
Will the Essex SR Be run next year?
If it is will the dates be brought forward to fall within the qualification dates?

My 300 & 400 PBP qualifiers will be slightly earlier in the year, with the Flatlands 600 moving to late May. ESR will run as before. I've booked my slots in the AUK planner [only visible to other organisers currently] and will get things publicly available soon.

What a great idea Tom. If you need support (is that allowed on a PBP seminar?), let me know.

Regards Phil

You'll be very welcome Pip: did you and Pipsuds stick together for the whole ride last time? Riding with a buddy/peloton - that's another angle to explore...

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »
Not pedal stroke for pedal stroke, but in the main, yes.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2014, 08:58:21 pm »
SR medal ceremony?? is this the norm or just an Essex thing?

rob

« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »
Only managed the one Tomsk ride this year.   Will be aiming for my Essex SR next year.

Can non-Essex riders attend ?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:23:32 pm »
I may have to be in New York that weekend but if not will certainly come along, if only to offer a view from the very back of the field.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:41:13 pm »
Sounds very inviting for someone looking to do PBP for the first time :). Let us see how tomorrow goes (W-C-W)  ::-).

Rich I (DP)

Sarf London

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:44:55 pm »
Thank you for the update Tomsk

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2014, 11:56:56 pm »
Definitely interested in this... is there anywhere local to stay over to save going back to London that night?

Currently can only make the evening unless we shuffle our day time commitment around.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2014, 08:31:18 pm »
SR medal ceremony?? is this the norm or just an Essex thing?

Everything you heard and feared about Essex is TRUE  [We have our own medal for an SR ridden on Essex events]

Definitely interested in this... is there anywhere local to stay over to save going back to London that night?

Currently can only make the evening unless we shuffle our day time commitment around.

The Compasses do B&B, also have allowed camping in the beer garden [on the Xmas Do].

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2014, 09:42:30 pm »
Ahem.
Watches thread. Things @redfalo might be there too
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #14 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:05:06 am »
I suspect a drink may be involved  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #15 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »
Sounds very inviting for someone looking to do PBP for the first time :). Let us see how tomorrow goes (W-C-W)  ::-).

Rich I (DP)

Sarf London

...and how went it Rich?
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #16 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »
He's still out there...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #17 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »
I'm still out here...

Seriously, it went ok for a first 600.

I met a fellow Paragonista, Liam* and his mate Neil at the start and rode the event largely in their company. We banked some time and immediately withdrew it at each of the first three controls. I then cracked on to Muxton and Chester to bank for planned sleep - managed three hours at UM. Punctured on arrival at BelB and twice more not long after (now back with the lads). Steady to Honeybourne and Chalgrove. We then rode the final 46k to Windsor in under 2 hrs, arriving all smiles. It was a first 600 also, for Liam and Neil and SR firsts for Liam and myself.

Bought the 600k badge at the finish and will order the SR medal very soon!

Still looking at PBP...

Rich I (Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside)

*such is the success of cycling and consequently the size of Dulwich Paragon, I only recognised Liam from the back cover of the Spring 2014 edition of Arrivee!

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2014, 10:01:06 am »
Nice idea Tom, I will be there, unless real life intervenes of course.

A

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »
Suddenly people are getting excited about that French Ride - 'cos there's about a year to go, possibly..... As Mid-Essex's resident 'Ancien', I keep getting quizzed, which is very flattering......so.....I think a formal meeting might be called for, with a proper agenda n'all. I may be able to rope in a few survivors from previous epics too. I think it might make sense to include the Essex Super Randonneur medal ceremony in the proceedings.

Venue: 'The Compasses', Littley Green, inevitably, though I'm open to ideas.

Date/time: A Saturday evening in October: I can do any except the 18th, so provisionally I'll plump for 11th October at 8pm and see how that suits. Could be a lunch-time meeting, if folk are travelling further to/from.

All welcome, from north of the Stour, south of the Thames and west of the Lea/Stort. And from East across the North Sea, even.

Taking on PBP entails a certain responsibility: To my knowledge, no Essex rider has EVER failed on this event, [though some have run it pretty damn close.] The typical overall drop-out rate is around 15%; nearly 30% in 2007 - the 'Wet PBP', [with headwinds both ways!!] So being properly prepared is a GOOD  THING !

Tomsk, would it be helpful to know in advance what people's plans were so they could either be discussed on-line here or at the meeting.  If the latter perhaps you could offer you views on folk's ideas.

As an example, my plan, subject to having better ideas based on feedback and experience gained between now and next August, is to aim for 85 hours to give me some wriggle room if things start to go wrong.  Therefore I shall be looking to maintain an overall average of 14.5 kph.  I am planing to ride unsupported without using bag drops.  I am not a good sleeper so probably won't find sleeping in big dorms very restful.  I certainly don't want to queue for a bed.  Therefore I plan on carrying a lightweight sleeping bag, bivvi bag and perhaps a Thermarest.  I am planning to test this sleeping arrangement on the forthcoming Flatlands 600.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2014, 07:41:00 pm »
Everyone has to do their own ride and most PBP-hopefuls will have done SRs before, so any help I can give will be along the lines of what NOT to do [seen quite a few get into trouble - not just me!] or what worked for me. PBP is so huge and different to anything you've ridden before - forewarned is fore-armed etc.

Some idea of individual strategies would be useful. I'll put out a plan for areas to discuss, which should stimulate thoughts, nearer the time.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:40:14 am »
 :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #22 on: 13 August, 2014, 10:02:52 am »
my plan, subject to having better ideas based on feedback and experience gained between now and next August, is to aim for 85 hours to give me some wriggle room if things start to go wrong.  Therefore I shall be looking to maintain an overall average of 14.5 kph.  I am planing to ride unsupported without using bag drops.  I am not a good sleeper so probably won't find sleeping in big dorms very restful.  I certainly don't want to queue for a bed.  Therefore I plan on carrying a lightweight sleeping bag, bivvi bag and perhaps a Thermarest.  I am planning to test this sleeping arrangement on the forthcoming Flatlands 600.
An inspiring post. I was rather thinking of coming back from riding in Patagonia in March, wondering if I Could Be Arsed to do PBP, entering some qualifiers and seeing how I got on, then - if I qualified - rocking up in Paris and following the bloke in front then trying to cope with what happened. It sort of worked for LEL (as in "actually, it didn't work at all and I packed at Moffat"). Am I too determined do you think? Too much of an "A Type" personality? Too competitive? Too fixated on one goal?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2014, 10:18:28 am »
my plan, subject to having better ideas based on feedback and experience gained between now and next August, is to aim for 85 hours to give me some wriggle room if things start to go wrong.  Therefore I shall be looking to maintain an overall average of 14.5 kph.  I am planing to ride unsupported without using bag drops.  I am not a good sleeper so probably won't find sleeping in big dorms very restful.  I certainly don't want to queue for a bed.  Therefore I plan on carrying a lightweight sleeping bag, bivvi bag and perhaps a Thermarest.  I am planning to test this sleeping arrangement on the forthcoming Flatlands 600.
An inspiring post. I was rather thinking of coming back from riding in Patagonia in March, wondering if I Could Be Arsed to do PBP, entering some qualifiers and seeing how I got on, then - if I qualified - rocking up in Paris and following the bloke in front then trying to cope with what happened. It sort of worked for LEL (as in "actually, it didn't work at all and I packed at Moffat"). Am I too determined do you think? Too much of an "A Type" personality? Too competitive? Too fixated on one goal?

Hi I really hope I can make this event I need all the help I can get. 

If I have interpreted what Hummers suggested I need to do '200s and lots of them' presumably fuelled with beer?  Since I am teetotal I am left with the former and not the latter.  :-X

Is it silly to start thinking of PBP having only just staggered round the National 400, aged 65 and weighing 100kg?  Currently trying to regain the shape of my youth.  Good news 7kg lost bad news 27kg to go.  If I cycle 400kms a week I lose about 1kg so hopefully be March I will be half the man I used to be...
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Oscar's dad

« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2014, 10:37:11 am »
... Is it silly to start thinking of PBP ...

I would say, and bear in mind I have done an SR but not the PBP, that you should try qualifying and see how you get on.  This is pretty much my approach.