Poll

Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?

Yes, avidly
61 (67.8%)
With mild interest
23 (25.6%)
No
3 (3.3%)
No, it's boring
1 (1.1%)
No, they're all on drugs
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: 28 July, 2010, 05:35:41 pm

Author Topic: Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?  (Read 11062 times)

Re: Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?
« Reply #50 on: 18 July, 2010, 01:32:54 pm »
Sorry, I was distracted by the previous post and forgot which thread I was posting in... Will try not to do it again.

d.

Yep, me too.  Point taken.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #51 on: 18 July, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »
TBH, if I was, e.g., waiting to watch my recorded TdF stage and wished to stay "unspoiled", I'd probably avoid this thread (and quite possibly the whole "racing" sub-board anyway).  I'd probably even think to avoid the cycling section or the BBC website too, without it saying "(possible spoilers)" on the link.   ;) :P

Or do we need to descend to the level of, e.g.  Cadbury's Whole Nut chocolate bars declaiming "Contains nuts" on threads in here?  (Actually it was funnier for a while when Whole Nut bars used to say "may contain traces of nuts" on the back).  ???
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #52 on: 18 July, 2010, 07:56:11 pm »
I do that, avoid this thread I mean until after I have watched the highlights.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 18 July, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »
TBH, if I was, e.g., waiting to watch my recorded TdF stage and wished to stay "unspoiled", I'd probably avoid this thread (and quite possibly the whole "racing" sub-board anyway).  I'd probably even think to avoid the cycling section or the BBC website too, without it saying "(possible spoilers)" on the link.   ;) :P

It may be honest, but is this comment helpful? If so, to whom?

And who said anything about recorded stages? Most people [i would hazard to guess, with only common sense but no stats to back me up] will be watching the 7pm Highlights. I've watched a lot of stages live, but that won't apply to the average 9-5er, will it?

There is nothing wrong with plain old-fashioned manners (even on t'Interweb), as several replies have demonstrated  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #54 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »

It may be honest, but is this comment helpful? If so, to whom?
To anyone who doesn't want to spoil their (recorded OR highlight) experience, but would run in and read random threads about the TdF anyway?  (Such as yourself apparently).
And who said anything about recorded stages? Most people [i would hazard to guess, with only common sense but no stats to back me up] will be watching the 7pm Highlights. I
err... that's "splitting hairs" isn't it.  recorded stage / later highlights -- the argument isn't actually affected in the slightest by that particularly insignificant nuance.
There is nothing wrong with plain old-fashioned manners (even on t'Interweb), as several replies have demonstrated  :thumbsup:
Nothing wrong with plain old fashioned common-sense either!  A thread that is titled "Re: Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?" is something I personally would have avoided if I wanted to be surprised by my recording (or, the highlights program).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 19 July, 2010, 10:14:04 am »
So you saw that someone had foolishly allowed their enjoyment to be ruined, so you posted to say how much cleverer* you think you are.

Your post was unhelpful, because clearly the problem had already been highlighted by my post.

As I said, some have shown good manners, rather than gloating. It seems like "common sense" to avoid ruining the pleasures of others through some very simple measures, that have been discussed time and time again.

[*Don't worry, I watched the prog before reading the spoilers - check the timestamps .]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #56 on: 19 July, 2010, 11:56:29 am »
So you saw that someone had foolishly allowed their enjoyment to be ruined, so you posted to say how much cleverer* you think you are.

Sorry you took it that way.  It wasn't my intention to either gloat or claim cleverness, merely to point out that there are some places one might expect some discussion of e.g. the TdF and that not all of them would necessarily have spoiler tags or "spoiler" in the subject line etc.

As I said, some have shown good manners, rather than gloating. It seems like "common sense" to avoid ruining the pleasures of others through some very simple measures, that have been discussed time and time again.

Sure, it's better if discussion which might contain spoilers should go in threads marked as such or use spoiler tags or whatever.  I just didn't think it beyond the bounds of possibility that a thread titled "Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?" might include some discussion of same.

I certainly wouldn't have been annoyed (except with myself) if I'd read this thread and caught a spoiler while trying to avoid the result before watching my recording that evening.

Apologies if you think I was gloating or am bad mannered.  (In the past, if anything, I've erred on the side of over-use of "spoiler tags", and had it, quite rightly, pointed out to me on one occasion that there are certain places where one might expect spoilers  :-\).

Ho hum.  I'd better shut up on the matter before I commit some other faux-pas.

lemonjiffy

« Reply #57 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »
love it when some numpty cmplains about he lack of spoiler,,, happens every year on every cycling related forum ;D ;D ;D

think they'd learn  ::-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:46:52 pm »

Sorry you took it that way.  It wasn't my intention to either gloat or claim cleverness, merely to point out that there are some places one might expect some discussion of e.g. the TdF and that not all of them would necessarily have spoiler tags or "spoiler" in the subject line etc.

OK, fair enough - bygones!

It does seem to me that some people just throw manners out the window when they turn on their modem. YACF shines as a counter-example, gawd bless you all. There are a million sites for rude people that one can find to post on, if that's their thing.

Of course in this case, there is bound to be some muppet (who repeatedly fails to learn a very simple lesson) along trying to tell me what an idiot I am. (Presumably before running round their office like a sugar-fuelled teenager, shouting the latest news at 4pm. Assuming they are old enough to work, that is ...)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 19 July, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »
Has anyone spotted the red devil yet? Can Le Tour go on without him? :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #60 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:51:01 am »

He was there on Saturday or Sunday.  Jumping next to Armstrong.  Jumping very high so I reckon he must be on CERA.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #61 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:19:27 am »

Yeah.  I saw him ;D
Getting there...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:58:23 am »
He was there on Saturday or Sunday.  Jumping next to Armstrong.  Jumping very high so I reckon he must be on CERA.

I'm not sure which is worse:
- not seeing the devil, or
- finding out he is cheating.

:(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------