Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale, 200km - (PBP) - £1. Tewkesbury, Jan 3rd.  (Read 17876 times)

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Re: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale, 200km - (PBP) - £1. Tewkesbury, Jan 3rd.
« Reply #75 on: 02 January, 2015, 09:08:55 pm »
Well spotted  ;D. Forecast shows that the 8am starters should get less rain, so I'm going for that option too - see you there.

Reg
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #76 on: 02 January, 2015, 10:14:09 pm »
8am starters will have less rain but more cold later on. Temperatures will drop to freezing around 6pm according to Metcheck.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #77 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:26:06 am »
This is novel. I'm at home *and* on the January Sale ride at the same time.

Gentle reader, how did I manage that I hear you ask. Well, "stupidity" would be my reply.

If you leave your drinks bottles at home then you'll have to take a damn silly detour to  fetch them...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #78 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:58:59 am »
I'm a DNS yet again, with yet another bug that I didn't want to drag through the rain (not that I enjoy riding in the rain for hours, anyhow). Apologies to anybody who could not get in with me hogging a place. Hope to break my DNS series with the February ride (provided Blacksheep hasn't bumped me off the entry list already  :-[). Wishing everybody a good ride - ooh, and a very happy New Year - and that the weather doesn't turn out as wet as predicted.

« Reply #79 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:57:09 am »
I'm a DNS too. No pass due to the Mrs being 39 weeks up the duff. Wonder if I'll get a pass for Sam Wellers.....

Happy cycling all, hope the rain clears soon!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #80 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:45:53 pm »
I was a DNS, but did a club ride in the rain instead. Three and a half hours and my hands were as cold as ice.
Riding for 11 hours in the current weather conditions would have been very uncomfortable indeed.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #81 on: 03 January, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »
I was also a DNS, I emailed Blacksheep early this morning to let him know.
Went back to bed and slipped into a coma, I woke up at midday! (unheard of for me)  :-[
I did feel very knackered at 4.45am but didn't realise I was THAT knackered.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #82 on: 03 January, 2015, 03:10:04 pm »
I was DNF

The plan was to get there promptly and ride as fast as possible, with a group and dodging light showers to finish in 11 hours or so.

After driving 100 miles from Devon in heavy rain, starting 40 minutes late, going back to get my wallet that I'd left in the car I finally left Tewkesbury at about 9am

After 20km in heavy rain I was not warming up.  In particular my legs weren't.  A quick reckoning of my ETA for the Arrivee based on current performance seemed to suggest a 9pm finish.  As Wobbly has pointed out up thread the temperature was due to drop drastically as the sun went down, getting to -1 by 9pm.  If I couldn't get warm in the "warmer" day then I'd be in trouble at night.  So I packed

If I'd have had water proof trousers with me and if I've have got off at 8am it would have been a different outcome.  But TBH with perfect foresight I wouldn't have started :D

« Reply #83 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:11:08 pm »
Well that was cold! As wet as last year, but a few degrees chiller it seems. Definitely a ride of love-hates.....adore the Cotswolds, great organisation, wonderful controls, some of the earlier lanes...hate the main roads which make up a good deal of the ride at times. Ate pretty much everything I took today which is unusual on a 200 now...definitely need to keep fuelling in this weather! I managed to stay with Brian until just around the beginning of the Cotswolds when, after some encouragement from him, I had to make the decision to go on ahead as I just couldn't keep warm. Really hate having to leave a riding buddy behind but in this weather I felt like there was no choice, or I may not have actually finished. Hypothermia really is a consideration for someone small like me at this time of year when soaked through to the skin, windchill of road-bike speeds, riding without winter gloves (left at home DOH!) and the temperature is dropping rapidly. Grateful to make it back to the RHP before dark and to the welcoming face of Mark Rigby - 200 kms in winter are worth 3 in summer, I understand?

Hope everyone else got back safe and those lanes didn't freeze too quickly after sundown, it was a real worry for me and kept me pushing on to try and ensure I wasn't faced with a black-ice-covered Winchcombe descent.

Good to see Peter Goodings back out on his bike - highlight of the day  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #84 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:07:38 pm »
Tough day at the Sale! As Rabbit said, as wet as last year but definitely colder.  I think we rode quite quickly but spent a long time at the controls warming up and squeezing the water from the gloves.  I've ridden that last section from Chipping Norton three times now and it's tough with lots of ascending and descending (more of the former). Tough day but as ever praise to the Blacksheep organisational machine for putting together a good day out ... cheers Mark :thumbsup: Thanks to Will and Denise for keeping me company all the way round and good to hook up with RegT for the final section.

« Reply #85 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:06:48 pm »
Certainly a ride of 2 halves, those would finished it will know what I mean.  Thanks for CF, Andy and Benner for the company and tows.

Many thanks Mark for today, you clearly weren't at your best, however, thanks for putting it on.

One step closer to Paris....

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #86 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:25:01 pm »
Well that was defiantly wet and cold. I made it to Henly-in-Arden before decided I had no desire to ride on. From Henly I could make for the flat Vale of Evsesham and Tewksbury and take 40 miles of the route. Two ill young kids that aren't sleeping are taking their toll and I wasn't feeling 100% myself. However, it was on the way home where I had most adventure. I heard a sound on the roof of the car and glanced in my rear view mirror to watch my bike, my still very new bike, my very new titianium bike bounce in to the middle lane of the North bound M5 just a mile north of the Tewksbury junction. Quick call to the authorities and a painful wait watching cars dodge the bike before the traffic came to a stop on all three lanes. The drivers allowed me to grab the bike. Amazingly I've only scratched a peddle, scuffed the bar tape and marked my saddle, ohh and dented my frame, result of the bike being wrenched out of the bike rack clamp. The traffic officer who turned up some 20 mins after the call was made was happy with my actions and empathised with the damage. So it would seem that if your frozen, a bit ill, sleep deprived and very eager to get in a warm car to get home and forget to strap your wheels down to the rack, your bike will launch of your roof. Not a good day.

Despite that. I strangely enjoyed the weather as it gave me an excuse to deploy very seldom used kit. Enjoyed the route, what I rode of it (I knew the bits I didn't ride). It's always good to see Mark, hope your feeling better and I got to cycle with an old friend.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #87 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:25:14 pm »
 Oh bugger  :o :facepalm: hopefully you can get the dent & scratches sorted.

I wondered where you went, but you probaby made a good choice if you didn't fancy shivering on the verge of hypothermia at Warwick.  It was good to see you for a brief catch up, though :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #88 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:25:27 am »
I worked out what to wear, but I got it really wrong....

I had a base layer string vest, an Assos winter + level 7 zipped base layer, two baa baa merino long sleeved base layers, a wind proof Endura long sleeve jacket, and a yellow hardshell fluorescent yellow rain jacket to start with....

Almost immediately I was losing heat, no matter how hard I rode... Constant rain soaked through my winter sealskinz gloves, and soaked the liner gloves too, so my hands got colder and colder, till I struggled to feel when my fingers were actually on the brakes, and changing gear was a complete lottery - I guess the water speeds up heat transfer??

Similar issues with my longs - guess who bought Roubaix fabric, water resistant, padless overtights on Friday, and didn't take em? = extra heat loss.

I bounced the first control, it being a bit early to stop, but 27 km from the M40 services I could not stop violent shivering, even sprinting up the hills... I chose to keep up the workload and made it to the services, and sat in Starbucks on the comfy seats that wrap around you, nursing a huge hot latte, and several people came up to me and asked if I was alright, cos they saw me shaking / shivering uncontrollably...after 45 minutes, in a room the garmin said was 19 degrees, I was still in trouble, so I got a second hot latte, and still continued to shiver... I had spread out gloves to dry, having wrung out a huuuge puddle first.. The liner gloves I dried using the warm air drier in the loos.. I left after a one hour 24 minute stop, which I bet is a record for me... Oh and I was still getting the occasional shiver even then...

I had added an Endura boil in the bag long sleeve, and a Rapha long sleeve offset zip, into the mix, but I still shivered.

I think my core temp must have been very low, though I have no idea what is safe and what isn't..

I could not brake safely sometimes, cos when I pulled my fingers they sometimes either slipped off the levers, or were not even on them to start with, so I played it safe, e.g. Descending Winscombe hill at around 15-20 kph, braking constantly, and I lost a lot of time.. 

Looking on Strava I seem to have very high placing compared to the other ACB members on some of the hills, because instead of doing my usual 60% effort up the hills, I was giving it full gas, to generate heat, though even that stopped once my hands half slipped off the bars, when pulling on them, due again to not having sensation in my fingers.. Damn near reared off the bike like a panicking horse, but someone was smiling down on me..

I should have packed, but as you know, I am completely mad, and I won't give in, even on days like this..

Of course it was all my own fault / my mistake.....

On the plus side, Mark put on a great show, and has managed to use up all his rain that had previously been scheduled to be spread over all his rides until Easter  ;D

Now I'm reduced to constantly walking round the house, cos all those full gas efforts have left me with dreadful repeating leg cramps..... F@ck  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #89 on: 04 January, 2015, 07:51:14 am »
This all sounds very epic-- BM ---hope you`ve warmed up by now...was DNS as after a ride on Friday felt full of cold, and didn`t want to get worse thro` a thorough soaking. Top marks determination (madness?) to all who rode it though. :thumbsup:

A 30km ride to shops was enough for me and discovered that sealskin gloves leaked, waterproof wasn`t , and DHB water repel tights didn`t so glad that found this out on just a short ride
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #90 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:49:13 am »
This all sounds very epic-- BM ---hope you`ve warmed up by now...was DNS as after a ride on Friday felt full of cold, and didn`t want to get worse thro` a thorough soaking. Top marks determination (madness?) to all who rode it though. :thumbsup:

A 30km ride to shops was enough for me and discovered that sealskin gloves leaked, waterproof wasn`t , and DHB water repel tights didn`t so glad that found this out on just a short ride

Thanks James

I'm warm after a very long shower last night...

My fingers still have a vague tingle though, which I hope will fade... Anyone had that experience before ??

Are there any properly waterproof 'waterproof' gloves??

(Yes the cuffs were up inside my hard shell sleeves - that thing is really good, though you still get some drips down the neck!!

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #91 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:02:52 am »
Having got very many pairs of gloves in an attempt to combat cold fingers in winter I personally have yet to find a single set that are `waterproof`  ::-) IF they are truly resistant to water ingress then unless a super breathable material sweat will build up inside and wet the inner>> loss / reduction insulating properties.

eg. I`ve got a set of Lowe Alpine winter `ice gloves` for use in winters in Scotland---up on the mountains where it can be fxxx cold---they are super waterproof, fleece lined and to begin with my hands are warm. But then after a while hands get cold as the inner gets wet due to sweat. So I hardly use them.....

re tingling fingers sounds a bit like chilblains or you`ve got a dose of `frostnip` (ie a precursor to frost bite, can happen quite easily in very cold conditions)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #92 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:08:42 am »
Gutted to dnf for the first time ever.

Started about 10  minutes late but got to the first control in time for a big breakfast which normally would have fuelled me nicely.

Felt really slow and sluggish was riding with two other chaps one had freezinh numb hands the other was constantly shivvering .I was ok except my feet which were numb.I was the slowest rider the others probably got colder waiting for me a d would not push on without me despite my assurance that I would be fi ne.

Mine seemed to be the only functioning gps then before the second control it packed up.we wasted a lot of time faffing with the gps then cocked up the route doing some extra distance so eventually arrived at the services 30mins after the cut off  time. By the time we were ready to leave it would have been a very late arrivee for us so we opted for quite a pleasant ride to leamington rail station and bailed out.

Thanks ti blacksheep for organizing what should have been a great ride if my fitness was better and my gps didnt melt in the rain.

PS hope everyone got back safely and not too hypothermic.

« Reply #93 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:13:54 am »
I really struggled on this one. I knew I would as I had been laid low over Christmas with a bad bout of flu. First time on the bike for a couple of weeks so decided I’d set off very gently and ride around well within myself, probably just as well I did as I was spent over the last 20km.
Felt sorry for Mark who was clearly suffering, looks like he may have what I had over Christmas, nothing for it Mark other than to keep well hydrated and rest/sleep when possible.
As always thanks for another splendid event.
See you all next month.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #94 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:42:28 am »
What an advnture a great antidote to sitting with my parents in law through the new year.  Another HC here. I was running close to control times by the time Chipping Norton was reached.  I was slowed because I could not see with my glasses in the rain, and could not see much without.  Well that is my excuse, nothing here about Christmas sufeit.
 Obviously my Garmin decided that not enough had already been thrown my way so elected to not tell me when I went off route.  (Normally I use both Garmin nd route sheet but had not got my map holder and could not bothered to dig out my head-torch at that point)
Lesson 1 ensure map holder is somewhere easy to locate: consider fixing head torch to helmet when in the mood)
SO then took a scenic route around the Cotswolds with gratuitous hills, admired the full moon and grateful conditions were not icy.  At Winchcombe when I finally got there texted Mark to say not to wait up.  Then set of for the last leg.  Sadly in the final small straight lane section (not sure where exactly) had to swerve to avoid a rather erratic and speedier that I expected car.  The road has a deep drop off the edge which took me over and gave me enough concussion to not be able to stand and me not knowing where  I was or why I was there.  Car paused briefly and then sped off to my feeble g cries for help.  Gradually managed to get myself together and clambered onto my bike hitting upon the notion of following my Garmin in the hopes that I would remember where the car was.  The Tewkesbury sign reminded me and memory returned.  I contemplated going to A and E but seemed somewhat better and so drove home.   
Lesson 2  I was in a tired state, winter adventures need to be planned for and require extra calories and rest.
Lesson 3  These challenging rides are not the best time to try out new maps on the Garmin
Lesson 4  It is worth hacking it in bad conditions...you find out thing about yourself and your kit
Lesson 5 On winter rides consider attaching head-torch to helmet an essential (I would have seen the drop and probably bunny hopped down safely.
Lesson 6 wet clothes can rip the skin off your arse consider suitable protective potions
Lesson 7 If you have just climbed Sc Fell in 'weather' consider not rushing home to do a 200 in equally interesting meteorological conditions.

Many thanks to Mr. Blacksheep an excellent ride that did not disappoint.  weather was guaranteed and we certainly got weather.  Was it Mrs Blacksheep I saw riding back form the first control??

L
“... he who's down one day can be up the next, unless he really wants to stay in bed, that is...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #95 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:33:49 am »
What an advnture a great antidote to sitting with my parents in law through the new year.  Another HC here. I was running close to control times by the time Chipping Norton was reached.  I was slowed because I could not see with my glasses in the rain, and could not see much without.  Well that is my excuse, nothing here about Christmas sufeit.
 Obviously my Garmin decided that not enough had already been thrown my way so elected to not tell me when I went off route.  (Normally I use both Garmin nd route sheet but had not got my map holder and could not bothered to dig out my head-torch at that point)
Lesson 1 ensure map holder is somewhere easy to locate: consider fixing head torch to helmet when in the mood)
SO then took a scenic route around the Cotswolds with gratuitous hills, admired the full moon and grateful conditions were not icy.  At Winchcombe when I finally got there texted Mark to say not to wait up.  Then set of for the last leg.  Sadly in the final small straight lane section (not sure where exactly) had to swerve to avoid a rather erratic and speedier that I expected car.  The road has a deep drop off the edge which took me over and gave me enough concussion to not be able to stand and me not knowing where  I was or why I was there.  Car paused briefly and then sped off to my feeble g cries for help.  Gradually managed to get myself together and clambered onto my bike hitting upon the notion of following my Garmin in the hopes that I would remember where the car was.  The Tewkesbury sign reminded me and memory returned.  I contemplated going to A and E but seemed somewhat better and so drove home.   
Lesson 2  I was in a tired state, winter adventures need to be planned for and require extra calories and rest.
Lesson 3  These challenging rides are not the best time to try out new maps on the Garmin
Lesson 4  It is worth hacking it in bad conditions...you find out thing about yourself and your kit
Lesson 5 On winter rides consider attaching head-torch to helmet an essential (I would have seen the drop and probably bunny hopped down safely.
Lesson 6 wet clothes can rip the skin off your arse consider suitable protective potions
Lesson 7 If you have just climbed Sc Fell in 'weather' consider not rushing home to do a 200 in equally interesting meteorological conditions.

Many thanks to Mr. Blacksheep an excellent ride that did not disappoint.  weather was guaranteed and we certainly got weather.  Was it Mrs Blacksheep I saw riding back form the first control??

L
“... he who's down one day can be up the next, unless he really wants to stay in bed, that is...”

OMG you poor soul!! Glad you got home in one piece.

You may know this already, but just in case, I protect my glasses in the rain by wearing a simple cycling cap / casquette... Not huge like a baseball cap, but if you tip your head down you get a clear area at the top...

Cycling heatmap

Euan Uzami

« Reply #96 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:59:30 am »

Thanks James

I'm warm after a very long shower last night...

My fingers still have a vague tingle though, which I hope will fade... Anyone had that experience before ??

Are there any properly waterproof 'waterproof' gloves??

(Yes the cuffs were up inside my hard shell sleeves - that thing is really good, though you still get some drips down the neck!!

Mike, on that ride I had painfully cold feet up until the second control but hands were mostly fine.

I had some thin liner gloves (random cheap ones from millets, but silk ones are probably better), pearl izumi softshell lobster mitts, and the secret ingredient gore tex over mitts. The key (and this is important) is to have them inside your jacket (or your outermost jacket in your case ;) ) so the water can't run down inside them. I forgot after the first control and hands got damp quite quickly so I had to stop and rearrange ...
It's a bit of a pain in the arse because you haven't got much manual dexterity with them on, so you have to basically have a sequence of: faff, put gloves on, put jacket on, go outside, set off. Make sure no faffing has to be done outside and don't leave any till you've already got the gloves on or you won't be able to do it without taking the gloves off again, which you might think seems fine, but if you don't also take the jacket off then they will be outside it when you put them back on, and water will run inside them. Easily done, and easy to think it'll be ok, and if you've only got cold to contend with it will but if you get heavy rain it probably won't be.

So when I got to the second control my hands were a bit wet, but I realised I wasn't already wearing the liner gloves which were therefore still dry in my bag, so I put those on and my hands warmed up fast. So a good lesson is to be religious about keeping the overmitts inside the jacket, and also to take spare liner gloves, they're small so don't take up much space.

I do swear by the gore tex overmitts though. You can get gore tex overshoes which I did have some of but lost them, think I might have to get a new pair if there's going to be any more days like yesterday.

The tingle could be chillblains, I get it when I've had cold hands/feet and when they warm up again, on me they normally only last a few minutes but it could be just lack of circulation.

« Reply #97 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:09:10 pm »
,,,, but silk ones are probably better

I must be the only person who finds silk liners in gloves useless.

« Reply #98 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:36:24 pm »
Good grief! So many horror stories. 

Vistaed - so sorry to hear about the bike.  Guess the fact it wasn't totally flattened and didn't cause an accident is some consolation, but still, gutting to happen, especially to a new Ti machine. 

Cycling Daddy - wow.  You were very lucky not to be properly injured or left unconscious by the driver, especially in the bad weather.  I always run a good helmet light, even on a 200 where I don't bother with a main bright bar light.  Well, I say always, in fact, yesterday morning I had mounted my Leyzne superdrive on the bars for a bit, but the weather kept it dark for a fair time and I was annoyed it wasn't on my helmet as I had to keep flicking the backlight on the GPS to see so you have my sympathy for how difficult it is to manage without one.  Mine went on the helmet mount after the last control so I knew I'd be able to flick it on for the steeper Cotswold Descents if I needed it.  I have a basic commuter light on the bars unless I know I will be riding for a good few hours in the dark when I'll put a good bright 2000 lumen light on.  I find though, that the superdrive alone is enough to ride with unless it's very technical/muddy/potholed lanes. 

In terms of gloves - I have (at home) some neoprene ones which act like a wet suit - hands sweat like mad and they are totally unsuitable for temperatures over about 7 degrees, but ideal for conditions like yesterday.  If only I had remembered to bring them  :facepalm:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #99 on: 04 January, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »
Rabbit, you're too fast  ;). Did you put 'guards on to weigh your bike down?

I packed a bread bag full of old energy bars, gels, drink sachets, two Cadbury's Boost bars, a peanut butter sarnie, two bananas, and a bag with spare gloves, waterproof overtrousers, overshoes, spare socks and a spare base layer, along with the tools and inners. Rackbag weighed a ton (not quite!)

Set off at 1:30am, stopping at 3 when the rain started, to get 'proofed up.  Had a banana and coffee stop at the Chipping Norton garage. Arrived at 7, in time for the famous Wetherspoon's veggie breakfast, coughing away (did a DIY 200 on Wednesday, last chance for December RRtY, in the cold and frost).

Set off on my own at the back, not really wanting to pass on any germs. Had a coffee and mince pie at the first stop (couldn't stomach another breakfast). Should have tried to eat more. Cycled with a couple of blokes, on and off, for a while, but slow up the hills (TG knows), so stopped atop one to sit on a bench, eating a now mashed banana, and 1/4 sarnie. Shortly after (85km), BANG, rear tyre burst near the rim, After last year's event, I had started carrying a spare tyre, but not today (why, oh why?). Swapped it to the front, asking passers by if they had a spare tyre. First slither of tyre I carry didn't work, as the inner still buldging out, so in went the second. 'Phoned Mark and my wife for shops info. Set off, and the tyre was okay at low pressure, with the rhythmic thud thud. Decided not to go off course to Banbury bike shop as it would put me out of time at the services (got a receipt with a few minutes to spare). Had a coffee there outside, Billy no mates, eating my last Boost bar. Knew Edgehill was coming (hard ride/walk up it last year with split tyre), so stopped about 15 mins before it for an out of date gel. Rode up the hill all the way, not getting out of the saddle for fear of putting too much pressure on the split. Arrived at Chipping Norton café at 5:30, and again, just had a coffee, as they were meant to be shutting (about 30 mins in hand on control time). There I met Saracen Sean (saw you earlier in the day), who very kindly (Many thanks!), 'phoned his wife to bring a spare tyre to the RHP, to ensure I get home. Cycling Daddy arrived. The three of us set off separately, passing each other along the final stretch. Stopped outside the pub on the climb into Stow (where I abandoned with crank trouble last year) for my last Boost bar, a gel, and to put SIS powder in my water. I hated the white fog before Winchcombe, as I couldn't see well enough ahead, and didn't want to brake for too long on the descents (the split being right by the rim). Arrived back at 9:10, looked around the pub, but couldn't see Mark (forgot his info, and I think the smokers outside shielded his AUK sign when I arrived. Found him, had a chat, recharged computer and front light a bit, and collected tyre from Sean (thanks again).

Left at 10, stopping to put M+ tyre on outside Tewkesbury (took longer than a Conti). Hit white fog somewhere, and it was cold. My three layer weatherproof gloves were wet, and my spare pair weren't up to sub-zero (was it?) temps. Frost everywhere. Stopped in four bus shelters to try to get warm/have a nap. Put spare base layer on (still cold). Ice forming on lights, computers, phone case and maptrap. Stopped at the Chipping Norton garage for a coffee, but the bloke (different bloke to earlier) ignored me and hid in the back (he saw me standing outside when he was sweeping up). Had swig of the energy drink, but it disagreed with me, and I had to keep stopping. Hit ice patches in places, and there was a lot approaching Milton Keynes. Arrived home about 5:10 (100 minutes longer than the outward journey) shivering.

I set out with the intention of making amends for my only (so far) DNF, which I have done, even though it took too long.

Weighed myself when I got up, and the upshot of not eating enough is that I have lost 7 lbs in three days, some of that, understandably, being muscle mass (converted to carbs for the ride?).

Thanks for the event and chat Mark, and the tyre, Sean!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!