Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale, 200km - (PBP) - £1. Tewkesbury, Jan 3rd.  (Read 17801 times)

Re: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale, 200km - (PBP) - £1. Tewkesbury, Jan 3rd.
« Reply #100 on: 04 January, 2015, 03:11:39 pm »
This was my first BlackSheep ride and I intend to return to see what the area is like when the weather behaves.  The bit through the Cotswolds was particularly enjoyable apart from the descent into Winchcombe which I reckon accounted for a significant portion of the brake pad wear that I discovered this morning.

In spite of soaking gloves my hands were coming back up to temperature reasonably quickly provided I worked hard for a short while after each control.  My feet were an entirely different matter in spite of overshoes, extra socks, chemical toe warmers etc but they only crossed the threshold into the painful zone for a short while just before the second control.  I was fascinated by the fact that I appeared to be 'frothing at the knees' possibly due to some soap residue in the fleecy windstopper fabric on my Ground Effect tights.

Sorry to hear about Vistaed's and Cycling Daddy's problems - do we know how Bikeabilityman got on as it sounded like he was having another one of his adventures...  He's alive!  Well done that man!

« Reply #101 on: 04 January, 2015, 04:22:09 pm »
What an advnture a great antidote to sitting with my parents in law through the new year.  Another HC here. I was running close to control times by the time Chipping Norton was reached.  I was slowed because I could not see with my glasses in the rain, and could not see much without.  Well that is my excuse, nothing here about Christmas sufeit.
 Obviously my Garmin decided that not enough had already been thrown my way so elected to not tell me when I went off route.  (Normally I use both Garmin nd route sheet but had not got my map holder and could not bothered to dig out my head-torch at that point)
Lesson 1 ensure map holder is somewhere easy to locate: consider fixing head torch to helmet when in the mood)
SO then took a scenic route around the Cotswolds with gratuitous hills, admired the full moon and grateful conditions were not icy.  At Winchcombe when I finally got there texted Mark to say not to wait up.  Then set of for the last leg.  Sadly in the final small straight lane section (not sure where exactly) had to swerve to avoid a rather erratic and speedier that I expected car.  The road has a deep drop off the edge which took me over and gave me enough concussion to not be able to stand and me not knowing where  I was or why I was there.  Car paused briefly and then sped off to my feeble g cries for help.  Gradually managed to get myself together and clambered onto my bike hitting upon the notion of following my Garmin in the hopes that I would remember where the car was.  The Tewkesbury sign reminded me and memory returned.  I contemplated going to A and E but seemed somewhat better and so drove home.   
Lesson 2  I was in a tired state, winter adventures need to be planned for and require extra calories and rest.
Lesson 3  These challenging rides are not the best time to try out new maps on the Garmin
Lesson 4  It is worth hacking it in bad conditions...you find out thing about yourself and your kit
Lesson 5 On winter rides consider attaching head-torch to helmet an essential (I would have seen the drop and probably bunny hopped down safely.
Lesson 6 wet clothes can rip the skin off your arse consider suitable protective potions
Lesson 7 If you have just climbed Sc Fell in 'weather' consider not rushing home to do a 200 in equally interesting meteorological conditions.

Many thanks to Mr. Blacksheep an excellent ride that did not disappoint.  weather was guaranteed and we certainly got weather.  Was it Mrs Blacksheep I saw riding back form the first control??

L
“... he who's down one day can be up the next, unless he really wants to stay in bed, that is...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Good grief. I've just got around to reading all the reports in full. After passing you for the last time up some hill, I wondered whether I should wait for you, as I assumed you were the last one on the route, but I wanted to carry on, in case I had another tyre burst (both were Conti Hardshell put on in late summer, I know I said I would fit new ones, after last year), and I wanted to arrive before the cut-off. Then you wouldn't have been alone, or what happened Might have been different. Sorry!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #102 on: 04 January, 2015, 04:35:56 pm »
Well done to all who took part, especially my Team MK colleague Bikeabilityman. I am not quite ready physically and mentally so hoping for warmer days.

« Reply #103 on: 04 January, 2015, 04:42:22 pm »
What an advnture a great antidote to sitting with my parents in law through the new year.  Another HC here. I was running close to control times by the time Chipping Norton was reached.  I was slowed because I could not see with my glasses in the rain, and could not see much without.  Well that is my excuse, nothing here about Christmas sufeit.
 Obviously my Garmin decided that not enough had already been thrown my way so elected to not tell me when I went off route.  (Normally I use both Garmin nd route sheet but had not got my map holder and could not bothered to dig out my head-torch at that point)
Lesson 1 ensure map holder is somewhere easy to locate: consider fixing head torch to helmet when in the mood)
SO then took a scenic route around the Cotswolds with gratuitous hills, admired the full moon and grateful conditions were not icy.  At Winchcombe when I finally got there texted Mark to say not to wait up.  Then set of for the last leg.  Sadly in the final small straight lane section (not sure where exactly) had to swerve to avoid a rather erratic and speedier that I expected car.  The road has a deep drop off the edge which took me over and gave me enough concussion to not be able to stand and me not knowing where  I was or why I was there.  Car paused briefly and then sped off to my feeble g cries for help.  Gradually managed to get myself together and clambered onto my bike hitting upon the notion of following my Garmin in the hopes that I would remember where the car was.  The Tewkesbury sign reminded me and memory returned.  I contemplated going to A and E but seemed somewhat better and so drove home.   
Lesson 2  I was in a tired state, winter adventures need to be planned for and require extra calories and rest.
Lesson 3  These challenging rides are not the best time to try out new maps on the Garmin
Lesson 4  It is worth hacking it in bad conditions...you find out thing about yourself and your kit
Lesson 5 On winter rides consider attaching head-torch to helmet an essential (I would have seen the drop and probably bunny hopped down safely.
Lesson 6 wet clothes can rip the skin off your arse consider suitable protective potions
Lesson 7 If you have just climbed Sc Fell in 'weather' consider not rushing home to do a 200 in equally interesting meteorological conditions.

Many thanks to Mr. Blacksheep an excellent ride that did not disappoint.  weather was guaranteed and we certainly got weather.  Was it Mrs Blacksheep I saw riding back form the first control??

L
“... he who's down one day can be up the next, unless he really wants to stay in bed, that is...”

Wow!
Just read this now.
I'm assuming that this is Les who I spoke to briefly at the Chipping Norton cafe?
If so I knew you were suffering like so many of us and when I passed you just before Stow I tried to give you a little encouragement but was concerned. I mentioned to Mark when I got back that you seemed to be struggling and I was concerned that you wouldn't get back in time.
He told me then that you had phoned him but I had no idea such an ordeal lay in wait for you.
Just glad you are OK today.

There were certainly a few of us who for one reason or another had tougher days than would be normally expected yesterday.

Also glad to know you got home safely Bikeability Man.
You truly are an inspirational character.

« Reply #104 on: 04 January, 2015, 05:06:54 pm »
Rabbit, you're too fast  ;). Did you put 'guards on to weigh your bike down?

LOL I wish!  I am only quick to finish as I don't spend much time stopping and, when riding on my own, I flow better as I can descend pretty quick making up at least some of the upcoming climb with a bit more momentum.  I am not a fast rider per se, very much average in speed terms, especially on the shorter distances.  I regularly see the fast riders come past on their way to their next extended stop for lunch whilst I am ferretting around in the top tube bag to keep riding + eating! In the summer my overall event times are longer as I am happy to sit and chill at the controls, but in the winter, I just don't warm up when I stop, if anything, the chills set in and then my legs seize and I have a painful 20 mins to get them restarted.  The first few miles after the Droitwich control yesterday were hellish.  My quads were just not functioning at all with the cold. 

I didn't put mudguards on like a BAD rabbit.  When I checked the weather at the start of the week it looked dry so thought sod it, I'll risk it.  The gamble didn't play off as I didn't have time the day before to get them fitted.  Still, I felt less guilty when I realised that every person I followed, except one, was kicking up as much spray with their mudguards on (even, in some cases, with extenders on) as those without, albeit with less muddy arses. 

You truly are an inspirational character.

Conker that!  :thumbsup:

I really love the epic tales, especially when it all turns out (mostly) ok in the end.

There is no doubt that it's easy to get complacent with the 200 distance after the long warm summer days pootling round and chilling in pubs and cafes.  They are a completely different animal in the winter.  Nevermind if you then increase the distance by ECE!

Does not play well with others

« Reply #105 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »
Despite not finishing I am really glad I went yesterday and had a go.  I learned more yesterday than I ever learned in the many successful 200s I have done including my one and only RRTY.

In fact I just remembered I did DNF once before after getting violent food poisoning on the ride.(So i dont count that)

I have ridden successfully in freezing weather and ridden successfully in heavy sustained rainfall but never both on the same ride.

Also learned stuff from reading this thread such as maybe my new gloves dont leak like a sieve as I had the cuffs outside my jacket cuffs.(never give it much thought before) . Will also be looking into some goretex sox if such a thing exists.

Congratulations to everyone who turned up yesterday wether you finished or not. :thumbsup:

Euan Uzami

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #107 on: 04 January, 2015, 07:02:22 pm »
I should have packed, but as you know, I am completely mad, and I won't give in, even on days like this..

I used to be a bit more "keen".  I think once you've done it a few times the novelty wears off. The next time you will think "hang on, I don't have to do this: been there done that"

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #108 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:03:36 pm »
I found that a tough day. I'd woken the previous couple of days feeling a bit sub-par (sore throat; slightly achy too on 1st), and had considered a DNS but decided to ride anyway. Had cold fingers at the start of each leg, especially the last, but they warmed up once I got the circulation going. But I seldom got warm enough to want to unzip my coat/vents at all.

I was probably wearing less than most other riders, and maybe not quite enough, but reckon I would've had a lot more issues if it wasn't for my 'waterproof' boots which meant that my feet were only starting to feel damp at the first control, and while thoroughly wet by the end, my toes never felt cold.

The combination of bug and weather meant that I never really got into a good rhythm, and my legs felt tired by half way and got worse in the second half, with sore knees too by the end, so ended up walking part of Edge Hill and the final proper hill.

So overall I found it much harder than the last 2 years, but am glad to have finished without any of the significant issues that others clearly encountered.

Thanks Mark for sorting us all out despite clearly feeling ill yourself (no beer!)  :thumbsup:
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #109 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:45:55 pm »
Defo not a very happy ride for me, very pleased when I has finish that it was over.

10 mins into ride front light died, so 60 mins of riding in the a dark :(. Know I had charged it so its gong in the bin :(

Forgot glove liners so hands were frozen all day and had shooting pains through them, as a result could not operate the left hand gear lever at all so had to spin all the way around in the small ring.

Dried the gloves out at each control under the toilet dryer which helped a little until they were soaked again.  Why didn't I bring spares.....

Had 4 layers on but they were soon soaked leaving me cold and shivering ,  Why didn't I brng my Gore oxygen jacket.....

Had a puncture 2k from end, no way could change the inner tube as hands were numb so rode in on the flat:(

At 100k discovered brake pads front and rear were totally worn out so braking was via shoe cleats only for last 100k with brakes full on to squeeze a tiny amount of risistance out of them. Less than great in the wet.  Why didn't I check them the night before.......

On the plus side did get back by 4.15pm so missed the dark and the drop in temperature and had a nice chat with Mark while we waited for the next riders to arrive.

Lots of lessons to be learned.

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #110 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:31:45 am »
Still don't have all the feeling back in my left hand today, seems it did not like 9 hours of being frozen, the shooting pains should have been a give away :(
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #111 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:48:07 am »
I didn't put mudguards on like a BAD rabbit.  When I checked the weather at the start of the week it looked dry so thought sod it, I'll risk it.  The gamble didn't play off as I didn't have time the day before to get them fitted.  Still, I felt less guilty when I realised that every person I followed, except one, was kicking up as much spray with their mudguards on (even, in some cases, with extenders on) as those without, albeit with less muddy arses. 
My Audax bike came with mudguards, so they are always on (had to change one after a year's use). A few weeks ago I added home made (from 4 pint plastic milk bottles) flaps and, although non-aero, they have made a real difference to the spray.

Hands have thawed, but coughing more now. If I hadn't booked the ECE before leaving home, I'd have been tempted to spend the night at the pub or Travelodge/Premier Inn, have a few pints and a meal. I'm not adventurous, just stubborn!

« Reply #112 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:42:45 pm »
Is it me, or is this entire thread just full of audaciousness (aka as stubbornness, or, as my mother would put it "sheer bloodymindedness"??  ;) )

Oliveriles - hope you get the feeling back soon.  Hopefully just temporary nerve disruption.  :o
Does not play well with others

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #113 on: 05 January, 2015, 04:06:45 pm »
Is it me, or is this entire thread just full of audaciousness (aka as stubbornness, or, as my mother would put it "sheer bloodymindedness"??  ;) )

Oliveriles - hope you get the feeling back soon.  Hopefully just temporary nerve disruption.  :o
Just at the moment when I thought I was on top of this 200 malarkey along comes Mr Pickwick.  Love it absolutely love it...'pig headed' is a phrase that comes to mind.  But this from the Urban Dictionary has a ring of truth:
stubborn
A characteristic common in males especially those with a sports paraphernalia obsession. (Lets you off the hook or leaves you out Rabbit)
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

« Reply #114 on: 05 January, 2015, 04:10:44 pm »

No it’s not just you. And I think your mother is spot on with her description.
I do enjoy the company of my fellow Audaxers, a great sense of camaraderie and fellowship.
But the Audax riders who will go out in the most testing of winter conditions either for the hell of it or to keep their RRTY’s alive are an altogether different animal. These are the hardened, determined and focussed riders I like to consider myself one of.
I think there is a mutual respect there that can only come from a shared suffering, or as your mother so succinctly put it “Bloody-mindedness”

« Reply #115 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »
"Suffering" is correct. I suffered more this time around, than on last year's Sale (driven home last year), but I wanted to finish it this time, I wanted my Jan RRtY out of the way, and I wanted my first PBP qualifier, whatever the weather threw at me. Our club has around 550 members, but only several Audaxers, as they think we're mad. Audaxers are well 'ard, and have my respect. I love cycling; it is a way of life for me, but it can be a real challenge at times!

« Reply #116 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:41:08 pm »
Lots of newbies in our club (post 'lympics) who have never heard of Audax(ing).

« Reply #117 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:53:54 pm »
Having read the epic tales in this thread, I now feel less guilty about my arrival at the RHP 40 minutes after the cut-off time for the 7.00 am starters.

I could see very little in the rain and darkness for the first 45 minutes, I got completely soaked and cold and when I went off route after 30 km for 10 km or so, I was ready to abandon and go home.

Morale at an all-time low, I retraced to the junction where I had gone wrong.

A wodge of 8.00 am starters nipped by and like a fool I got back on the bike and headed after them.

Why sit in the warm and dry when you can spend all day on a bike getting cold and wet?

At the first control I had a chat with Cycling Daddy (I think) and on the way to the Warwick services Saracen Sean remarked that I seemed to leaning ever so slightly to port.

Apart from being unable to distinguish port from starboard, I was puzzled by this comment then realised that he was right.

The cleat on my right shoe has become worn recently and although I am still clipped in, the shoe slips along the pedal so my foot is at a slight angle and I am wasting some of my feeble power output in tipping myself to the right.

Arriving at the services at Warwick I did the same as I did last year (when I finished with only 7 minutes to spare) and raced past the entrance to the services by bowling round the left hand bend and climbing all the way to the main road up that nice series of slopes before realising my mistake and coming back again........

I saw Saracen Sean again at Chipping Norton, he recommended the carrot cake, which was excellent.

I also failed to be of any use to Bikeabilityman there, it was not helpful to tell him that I used to cart a spare tyre around but stopped about five years ago.

The final leg took me much longer than I had expected, lack of fitness, the very thick fog, ancient lights and a slow speed fall on Edge Hill (I should have walked it like I did last year) all contributed to the late arrival, I left the control at 5.30 pm so really should have done better but at least I will remember this ride when many others have faded in the memory.

Thanks to Mark for organising so well, despite being seriously under the weather himself, congratulations to all who managed to get round, next up is Sam Weller's trip to Wochma.

I will have new cycling shoes by then!  :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #118 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:23:37 pm »
Defo not a very happy ride for me, very pleased when I has finish that it was over.

10 mins into ride front light died, so 60 mins of riding in the a dark :(. Know I had charged it so its gong in the bin :(

Forgot glove liners so hands were frozen all day and had shooting pains through them, as a result could not operate the left hand gear lever at all so had to spin all the way around in the small ring.

Dried the gloves out at each control under the toilet dryer which helped a little until they were soaked again.  Why didn't I bring spares.....

Had 4 layers on but they were soon soaked leaving me cold and shivering ,  Why didn't I brng my Gore oxygen jacket.....

Had a puncture 2k from end, no way could change the inner tube as hands were numb so rode in on the flat:(

At 100k discovered brake pads front and rear were totally worn out so braking was via shoe cleats only for last 100k with brakes full on to squeeze a tiny amount of risistance out of them. Less than great in the wet.  Why didn't I check them the night before.......

On the plus side did get back by 4.15pm so missed the dark and the drop in temperature and had a nice chat with Mark while we waited for the next riders to arrive.

Lots of lessons to be learned.

I find that trying to do events this time of year often results in a bike problem like a flat tyre as often parts are worn, having been changed months ago, done several winter rides and now being put to the test.  I did a  "warm up" ride on New Years Day partly to spot these kinds of things on my bike and did swap the rear wheel for one that er, worked before the start of this.

« Reply #119 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:06:29 am »
I do swear by the gore tex overmitts though.

Thanks for the excellent recommendation BenT.
These are on sale at e-outdoor (£27) http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/2155872/products/extremities_mens_tuff_bag_gtx.aspx.
Just ordered myself a pair.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #120 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:14:12 pm »
I do swear by the gore tex overmitts though.

Thanks for the excellent recommendation BenT.
These are on sale at e-outdoor (£27) http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/2155872/products/extremities_mens_tuff_bag_gtx.aspx.
Just ordered myself a pair.

I've had my eye on getting a pair of these for sometime. And as I put my waterproof sealskin gloves in the bin on Saturday after 100km on virtue of them not being very waterproof or warm I need some replacements. And what a great price. Combined with Rab merino liner gloves and montane prism gloves, it should make a good bad weather setup.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220