Author Topic: Gatecrashing a TT  (Read 4668 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Gatecrashing a TT
« Reply #25 on: 21 May, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »
A few weeks ago I did a 2-up 25 with several other teams from my club, and we had a few supporters along the course armed with cameras. One pair was photographed several times at various points with a mysterious rider dressed in black following about 10-20 metres behind. It's one thing to be overtaken by tetsters if you stumble across an event, but this guy was something else!

« Reply #26 on: 21 May, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »
a 'normal' guy on a road bike turned onto the road I was TTing on a couple of weeks back, about 200 yards in front of me.  It took me about 5 minutes to catch the bastard (at which point he congratulated me and slowed right down).  I hated him more than just about anything I can remember for those five minutes, but at least it gave me something to aim at. 

I still snigger at the roadie on Southend Seafront years ago.  All the gear, HRM, checking every 30 seconds that he was "in the zone".

I overtook him.

On an MTB*. 

With rack and pack.

In baggy shorts and T-shirt.

Sitting up with my arms folded.

I'm glad he then turned off as it let me slowly die.

* slick tyres and massively upgraded gearing

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2009, 06:45:11 am »
There was a guy on last night's "10" course on a sort of audax bike (but without Carradice  ;)) riding apparently as fast as he could and shouting encouragement.  I don't know if he was a SRC/CCC club member or not, but I don't think so.  However, if you had to hang back behind someone like that in overtaking traffic, you might be annoyed, since he was obviously riding up and down the course repeatedly, and not just out for a ride somewhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 28 May, 2009, 10:50:41 pm »
Riding my first audax in April (200k down and up the Vale of York), our route coincided with a local sunday morning TT.

Although I was tempted to try and chase down the lad who overtook us with his disc wheels and pointy hat, it wasn't a problem, until we were approaching a crossroads at the top of the hill, and I shouted "Straight on" to the lad I was riding with.  As it happened, this was the point where someone on the TT had caught up with us, and being a bit addled from his efforts up the hill, he paid attention to me and started to go straight over the crossroads, until the helpers shouted frantically that he needed to turn left, and I held back to let him turn left across me.

It's a pity - we nearly had him join our ride, and I wouldn't have minded following his wheel for 180k :thumbsup: