Author Topic: BEWARE Garmin Basecamp 4.7 GDPR update  (Read 3580 times)

Phil W

BEWARE Garmin Basecamp 4.7 GDPR update
« on: 24 May, 2018, 08:56:56 pm »
Beware the Garmin Basecamp 4.7 GDPR update.

Their idea of data privacy is to turn off their cloud storage and delete your latest collection data.  Just had to revert back to 4.6.1 and do a Windows 10 file restore of the basecamp database.  Now done a fresh backup and will not be upgrading Basecamp anytime soon.  Lost today's tracks I had created but otherwise normal service resumed.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: BEWARE Garmin Basecamp 4.7 GDPR update
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2018, 06:59:48 am »
I think you must have missed the announcement on teh Garmin support forums - I am sure I heard about this back in Feb when I was using BC to plot routes to chase squares.
Regards,

Joergen

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:38:48 am »
Is their update automatic or can you choose?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2018, 04:20:16 pm »

You can choose, though it will nag you somewhat each time you open Basecamp.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2018, 04:22:01 pm »
I think you must have missed the announcement on teh Garmin support forums - I am sure I heard about this back in Feb when I was using BC to plot routes to chase squares.

There is the problem then, using an Etrex I have no need to visit their support forums which used to be full of Edge users.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »

There is the problem then, using an Etrex I have no need to visit their support forums which used to be full of Edge users.

I actually went to the Basecamp section as it didn't want to talk to my 1030 - which is where I found out about it.  It may have even been before Xmas I think....
Regards,

Joergen

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2018, 06:25:38 pm »
Presumably the cloud services will stop working at some point, when they switch the servers off. Even if you don't upgrade your BaseCamp version

Does any actually use the cloud storage anyway?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:07:04 am »

You can choose, though it will nag you somewhat each time you open Basecamp.

Ta.  I rarely use it so it's no great bother.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:32:21 pm »
Presumably the cloud services will stop working at some point, when they switch the servers off. Even if you don't upgrade your BaseCamp version

The cloud services have already stop talking. So withdrawn due to GDPR with no notice they would do that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:38:01 pm »

I wasn't even aware the option existed.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:08:01 pm »
I got an email from Garmin in April, which said the cloud storage was due to be switched off.

You could set BaseCamp to use some other cloud storage, eg Dropbox. Just set it to store your database within your Dropbox folder.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:23:11 pm »
I got an email from Garmin in April, which said the cloud storage was due to be switched off.

You could set BaseCamp to use some other cloud storage, eg Dropbox. Just set it to store your database within your Dropbox folder.

Tis alright I had added the folder to windows file backup so recovering  data was not a big issue.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:24:11 pm »

This is precisely what I do now (after losing a Basecamp DB to a laptop failure, two or three years back).  After another laptop failure recently, I just repointed the basecamp installation on my new machine at my DropBox DB and all was good.

(I couldn't persuade the Basecamp install on my temporary loan MacBook to use it though).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2018, 07:37:18 pm »
And here's another reason to avoid Basecamp 4.7.  It ships with a new version of MapInstall.  To quote from https://www.velomap.org/
Now the problem is - Basecamp 4.7.0 also ships an updated version of Garmin MapInstall - and that version is broken in so far that it does not send any maps in .img format anymore! This also applies to original garmin maps. I have some old Garmin Topo Austria and Garmin City Navigator map - that cannot be sent anymore. Also any of the garmin demo maps converted into .img format from gmapsupp.img do not transfer anymore.

I was trying to update the velomap on my eTrex 30 and the map appeared to transfer perfectly, but  when I looked at it on the eTrex it was blank.  Banging my head on various hard surfaces did not help.  However, when I uninstalled Basecamp, and reinstalled version 4.6.2, that helped.  My eTrex is now up to date.  I wonder when Garmin are going to notice and fix this.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2018, 09:14:20 am »
The upside of the update AIUI from a post elsewhere, is that Basecamp will now support FIT2 files (as written by some Wahoo devices).

https://developer.garmin.com/index.php/blog/post/updated-fit-sdk
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll