Author Topic: Peculier Old 200  (Read 6488 times)

Ben T

Re: Peculier Old 200
« Reply #50 on: 29 October, 2018, 03:02:49 pm »
Hmm. Still not OK with my decision to DNF to be honest. Rash, and soft.

Kudos to those who got round, there's more of you than I thought there would be.

I mean I know it was possible to stay upright but the risk of not doing so was greater due to the slush in my opinion. Wouldn't feel too bad about it

« Reply #51 on: 29 October, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »
Well that was fun!

It was definitely a full winter gear ride, setting off in the light rain and cold, getting excited seeing some snow on a car, I thought that would be the only snow I would see!

It then got heavier and then saw a lot of riders turning around, at this point the hands were very cold.

Stopped at a bus shelter to check my weather radar app, no showers the furthest west you went. Carried on and few miles down the road the roads were fine.

Promised myself a fry up and some warmth in a cafe in Middleton, the excellent The Tees'pot did an excellent fry up.

The next leg down to Masham had the benefit of a strong tailwind, it was now a sunny, crisp winters day, even undid my zip on my jacket!

Welcomed by the controllers at the White Bear, half an Old Peculier. Then headed north, on some nice lanes onto Appleton Whiske, where tea and food was provided by the controllers, they put in a great shift!

Not far to the finish now, on arrival the chat and beer was flowing well. Glad I had booked the Travelodge so I could join in!

So big thanks to Deano for organising, and the controllers for enabling me to have a great day out, and not one garage forecourt to visit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #52 on: 29 October, 2018, 08:16:39 pm »
Another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris S

« Reply #53 on: 29 October, 2018, 08:31:50 pm »
 :o

Those first two pictures don't even remotely look like the same day!

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #54 on: 29 October, 2018, 08:47:25 pm »
Here's one of aidan.f approaching the A1(M) bridge between Fishburn and Ferryhill. Thank you for stopping to check I was ok, I was just seeing which station was nearest! It turned out that Bishop Auckland was the easiest to navigate to in the end.

(Apologies for the quality, it was taken on the mobile phone camera.)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #55 on: 29 October, 2018, 09:29:45 pm »
I've clagged the other usable photos on Flickr. Even the bees were out later on!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30024450@N04/albums/72157697100250310 for the rest.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #56 on: 29 October, 2018, 09:48:37 pm »
When I quit I knew I'd made the right decision. The A167 back to Darlo was especially tough and confirmed I'd made the right choice. Then I saw Marlan and Deano's photos. Oh well. Kudos to those who pushed through to the brighter weather. Well rewarded I'd say.

Still - the roast lamb and warm beer at home were good. Out tomorrow for a solo 200 DIY.

« Reply #57 on: 30 October, 2018, 10:09:02 am »
I'm not sure my decision to quit was right in hindsight. I bailed at Kirk Merrington along with 5 others we took shelter in Ferryhill WMC, I was very cold and wet but wonder if I'd sheltered there for longer I could have warmed up and gone on.

Poor choice of clothing and tyres didn't help - next year I'll be better prepared and if you're reading this Rob - I'll buy you that coffee back - thank you.

Great pics Marlon, shame we didn't get that beer!