Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517802 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #400 on: 06 February, 2016, 03:16:49 pm »
Ah, I see what you are looking at now Jiberjaber.

I have only ever used this link http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/permanent-events/eceentry

« Reply #401 on: 06 February, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »
Here is my roughly planned route for the trip to the Cycle Clinic next Saturday. I am planning on leaving around 8 am but flexible on that, just need to be in Glemsford while the shop is open!

I did throw in a little diversion up Spout Lane just north of Bures, I thought that Sudbury to Bures piece looked a little flat!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12082210

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #402 on: 06 February, 2016, 06:13:13 pm »
I quite fancy the Pacenti rims (or Pancetta rims as OD calls them  :facepalm:)

There are times when I don't like you lot as you give me ideas that cost money I'm trying not to spend.

Just supposing I had a hankering to celebrate my forthcoming birthday by furnishing Fred with a second set of wheels for faster, unladened riding and that perhaps Malcolm of Glemsford might be commissioned to build the new wheels.  Furthermore this wheelset would have disc specific rims what could one day take tubeless tyres (yes I know) but for the moment would take the Hamsterskins I have on the shelf (yes I know OK?).

Does the committee think Bacon Wheels would be the best option?  And how much might Malcolm of Glemsford charge me?

« Reply #403 on: 06 February, 2016, 07:47:21 pm »
 ;D I reckon they would be a pretty good option. You would also have to be willing to go to 32 spokes but with them rims...no worries!

Talk to Malcolm, he has other options that are similar.

My Pacenti's have the Novatech disc hubs and I think I paid about 330 for them. I had a special spoke set up with the Sapim strong (triple butted) on the rear drive side.

We can swap wheels for a few miles on a ride if you want to give them a try.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #404 on: 07 February, 2016, 08:45:29 am »
Do you chaps use SL25 bacon rims?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #405 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:17:44 am »
Do you chaps use SL25 bacon rims?
[/quo

Yep, they're  light but strong, my rear one stood up to you beating a huge tyre onto it recently :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #406 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:25:49 am »
Have you had any punctures since you started using sensible tyres?

« Reply #407 on: 07 February, 2016, 01:06:17 pm »
Yep, I use the Pacenti's and I will get them on the new bike as well.

Bobb has them on his Trips ter too, he had Mike Conwy (http://blog.23mm.co.uk/ to build his and I have only heard good things about Mike as well. I will stick with Malcolm as he is a nice bike ride away.

« Reply #408 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:15:18 am »
Here is my roughly planned route for the trip to the Cycle Clinic next Saturday. I am planning on leaving around 8 am but flexible on that, just need to be in Glemsford while the shop is open!

I did throw in a little diversion up Spout Lane just north of Bures, I thought that Sudbury to Bures piece looked a little flat!

Route looks good.  8am departure is fine. 

Should we throw in a diversion to Wallys on the way back or did you have something else in mind for breakfast ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #409 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:24:34 am »
I have emailed Malcolm of Glemsford re a second set of wheels for Fred.

« Reply #410 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:40:48 am »

Route looks good.  8am departure is fine. 

Should we throw in a diversion to Wallys on the way back or did you have something else in mind for breakfast ?

Wally's is a definite possibility. I was thinking of being rebellious and just finding something in Sudbury but not sure, we can decide on the day. I've opened it up to the Tiptree Velo folk as well so there might be others joining us.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #411 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:46:21 am »
I quite fancy the Pacenti rims (or Pancetta rims as OD calls them  :facepalm:)

There are times when I don't like you lot as you give me ideas that cost money I'm trying not to spend.

Just supposing I had a hankering to celebrate my forthcoming birthday by furnishing Fred with a second set of wheels for faster, unladened riding and that perhaps Malcolm of Glemsford might be commissioned to build the new wheels.  Furthermore this wheelset would have disc specific rims what could one day take tubeless tyres (yes I know) but for the moment would take the Hamsterskins I have on the shelf (yes I know OK?).

Does the committee think Bacon Wheels would be the best option?  And how much might Malcolm of Glemsford charge me?

I have H Plus SON Archetypes on the fast (crazy as OD has nicknamed it) trucker. Believe they are tubeless friendly. Reading stuff off t'internet they are quite in vogue at the moment and are all black (including braking surface) if you are in to that kind on thing. Although if you use rim brakes they don't stay black  :facepalm: I really like mine and even with regular marathons which I'm currently wintering on they still feel quite fast.
Been reading a lot about this tubeless lark a lot lately so may have to pick Tippers brains at some point. Quite keen on the idea for my next project if it gets off the ground.

« Reply #412 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:52:32 am »
The H-Plus SON Archetype was the Rim I was looking at and Malcolm pointed me to the Pacenti (he had both), can't remember the exact reasons but I think they are indeed VERY similar although I think it goes back to the Pacenti being more disc specific. Will be interesting what OD hears back.

Ted, there is a Weatherspoons in Sudbury  ;D . I suspect it will be approaching lunchtime when we get to Sudbury but we can decide that all on the day.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #413 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:53:48 am »
Those rims look nice Chris but I was after disc specific rims. 

Currently Fred's Harry's have Sputnik rims, so not disc specific, which is fine and they are utterly bomb proof which is what I wanted.  But for the second wheelset I'm after something completely different.

« Reply #414 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:55:06 am »
I'm up for an outing on Saturday. The guy at Glemsford might be in for a bit of a shock at the number of people rocking up to his place!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #415 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:56:53 am »
I have SON on my CdF front disc, black brake surface means it looks like deep section disc wheel. Very robust rim.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #416 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:58:06 am »
I'm up for an outing on Saturday. The guy at Glemsford might be in for a bit of a shock at the number of people rocking up to his place!

If we weren't away (  >:(  ) I be tempted to come too.

« Reply #417 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:05:10 am »
Sounds good Bobb. I'll drop him a mail and let him know a few of us might be rocking by.

Christophe, happy to go over my learnings on the Tubeless. You might want to wait until I have a few months of not puncturing behind me though  ;D

I have to say, since I put the double layer of Gorilla Tape on and used the Stans Sealant the tyres really are holding air as I would expect them too. The ride is lovely and you do have all that goodness that you get with lightweight supple tyres. The downside is you'll never have that feeling of switching from heavy winter tyres to light summer tyres...oh well!

« Reply #418 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:18:15 am »
Gorilla tape is the way to go apparently. Also been reading about what they call ghetto tubeless using a split inner tube with gorilla tape or insulating foam underneath to make the tyre sit a bit more tightly against the rim. Apparently very good with fat tyres so you can run them at lower pressure than with an inner tube.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #419 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:42:17 am »
I have the SONs on my Equilibrium Disc.  They do seem fairly bulletproof, but with XT hubs I don't think they are light enough for what I want for the summer on the Flyer.  At least with the Flyer I can have the full selection of fixed hubs as it isn't a disc bike.  Will almost certainly go tubeless as well.  After all, what could possibly go wrong.  It's not as if Tippers has had any trouble...

Tippers, you can deliver a tubeless masterclass on the way to Glemsford.  If you are lucky I will give you a brief synopsis of my photography masterclass from last Wednesday  :facepalm:

I have just found an Emonda SL6 and a Trek Domane 6.2 with substantial savings.  I can't afford a new bike but I want one.  Do I go for the luxury audax option of the 6.2 or just keep the 4.3 and have a nice light summer bike in the SL6 or even a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 ?  Probably pie in the sky anyway.

« Reply #420 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:53:25 am »
I Will almost certainly go tubeless as well.  After all, what could possibly go wrong.  It's not as if Tippers has had any trouble...

Seems like Tippers is the guinea pig and we'll all follow once he's sorted and can tell us exactly where not to go wrong!

« Reply #421 on: 08 February, 2016, 12:02:05 pm »
I'm not so sure about the guinea part  ;)  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #422 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:35:09 pm »

Wheels ordered  :thumbsup:

« Reply #423 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:01:26 pm »
Excellent....and what was the final verdict? Pacenti Rims, Novatec Hubs and Sapim Race Black spokes?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #424 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:32:50 pm »

Looks like you'll be coming past my new front door in Melford. Wave as you pass (52.8km in, on your right). I'll probably be at work, as usual!