Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517539 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #900 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:20:59 am »
Those hats suit you and Tippers  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #901 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:23:55 am »
 ;D  ;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #902 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:24:06 am »

Hooray, but are you sure you don't want someone who knows what they're doing to build it?

What could possibly go wrong  :facepalm:

If I knew how I would put a picture of it on here.

I might stick one into the new facebook group if I am still allowed access to the mid-Essex area.

I'd like to see it, the right way up if possible! I bet it looks lovely.

Why don't you bring it to the pub next Wednesday with the wheels and the box of bits and we can knock it together with a couple of multitools?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #903 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:27:51 am »

Why don't you bring it to the pub next Wednesday with the wheels and the box of bits and we can knock it together with a couple of multitools?

Artists impression of the result:

(click to show/hide)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #904 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:32:25 am »
looks fine to me  :thumbsup:  Chain's a bit slack though.

I could put it on the elephant bike and bring it along.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #905 on: 22 April, 2016, 12:08:03 pm »
Errr, we'll be a bit busy next Wednesday talking about matters of great import, we won't have time for fettling. I take it you lot saw my official notice???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #906 on: 22 April, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »
Are you going to have a gavel?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #907 on: 22 April, 2016, 12:17:24 pm »
A gabbel?

« Reply #908 on: 22 April, 2016, 12:26:18 pm »
A grovel ?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #909 on: 22 April, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »

« Reply #910 on: 22 April, 2016, 01:58:43 pm »
Oh, it's an Auction! Great

« Reply #911 on: 23 April, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »
Yes, my wheels, except they aren't ready.  Last week I was 13th on the list and expecting to collect today. Yesterday I was 7th and he was hoping for next Thursday.  The tubeless stuff arrived yesterday so all a bit tight for G&Y.

Therefore you are going to have to cut the chatter down today.   Instead of oohing and aahing over your new steed and letting your Kiwi bonhomie loose; get in, tell him it's lovely and get out
I might have delayed things a bit for you this morning  ;D

He is a very busy chap indeed and was still building the bike up. An audience never helps but I got involved and I left with a fixed gear bike  :thumbsup:

« Reply #912 on: 23 April, 2016, 02:06:59 pm »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #913 on: 23 April, 2016, 04:15:02 pm »
Lots of new bikes!  Three by my count.

« Reply #914 on: 23 April, 2016, 08:05:28 pm »
BFC/Tomsk for various reasons I ended up with a half link chan, any specific concerns I should have. Research I have done seems most people say the extra weight is the main issue...not really a worry for me ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #915 on: 25 April, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »
... for various reasons I ended up with a half link chain ...

Because it was Shiny! (or Purple?)

« Reply #916 on: 25 April, 2016, 12:50:06 pm »
... for various reasons I ended up with a half link chain ...

Because it was Shiny! (or Purple?)
Shiny and looks the business  ;D

Mainly it was down to the fact that the standard chain was skipping in one spot and the half link was the only other option available.

in other news...yesterday I put the Durano Pluses on the bike and headed out for a ride. Before I got past the Jam Factory I had 2 noises that didn't sound right. I stopped to have a poke about and found that the chain seemed pretty loose which made sense as when I looked down it seemed to be doing some kind of weird motion. Chain tightened....1 noise gone.

The second one was coming from the front disc, it took a bit of messing about with wheel position and pads to get rid of it, will need to take a better look at it but I got rid of it for the ride.

With the chain thing I have now orders a Surly Tuggnut, I figure a functional bottle opener is just what my new bike needs

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #917 on: 25 April, 2016, 02:07:07 pm »
The second one was coming from the front disc, it took a bit of messing about with wheel position and pads to get rid of it, will need to take a better look at it but I got rid of it for the ride.
Just in case I'm not telling you to suck eggs, a little titbit of wisdom I have found with disc brake rotor alignment, especially after messing around with wheels off on the work stand - before I trust/make any adjustment I put the bike on the floor and loosen then tighten the skewer.  Usually when I loosen it the wheel clunks down in to the dropouts which I rarely seem to locate properly when up in the air on the stand.  Once hub is aligned correctly I then find that the rotors are also aligned and don't make any frustrating noises.
If you already do something similar then I'll just go back to sleep and let you get on with finding the cause of the annoyance  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #918 on: 25 April, 2016, 02:40:03 pm »
Just in case I'm not telling you to suck eggs, a little titbit of wisdom I have found with disc brake rotor alignment, especially after messing around with wheels off on the work stand - before I trust/make any adjustment I put the bike on the floor and loosen then tighten the skewer.  Usually when I loosen it the wheel clunks down in to the dropouts which I rarely seem to locate properly when up in the air on the stand.  Once hub is aligned correctly I then find that the rotors are also aligned and don't make any frustrating noises.
If you already do something similar then I'll just go back to sleep and let you get on with finding the cause of the annoyance  ::-)
;D

Oh yeah....I made that mistake a few times...thought I had a busted hub once  :facepalm: But I better try it again anyway. The day one actually has forward facing drop outs on the front.

In this case it just about seems like the rotor is a bit too big. At first it sounded like a spoke loose which I quickly ruled out....very weird. I'll have a bit of a fettle tonight and if it still makes the noise we can all take a look while the votes are being counted on Wednesday.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #919 on: 25 April, 2016, 04:05:13 pm »
BFC/Tomsk for various reasons I ended up with a half link chan, any specific concerns I should have. Research I have done seems most people say the extra weight is the main issue...not really a worry for me ;D

Only used a half-link chain once some time ago, no issues...I just like standard KMC stainless, seems to last well, though not cheap. Is shiny though  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #920 on: 25 April, 2016, 04:12:08 pm »
Yet more evidence that fixed, supposedly the "simple" solution, is in fact very complex!  I have no idea what you lot are talking about. Is it me?  Am I just being as thick as a whale omelette? 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #921 on: 25 April, 2016, 05:59:03 pm »
You really want us to answer that?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #922 on: 25 April, 2016, 06:15:52 pm »
You really want us to answer that?

I suppose not.

« Reply #923 on: 26 April, 2016, 11:04:10 am »
What I have found in my VERY short experience is that the simplicity once riding will end up being what brings the smile to ones face. All the thinking and selecting is done before you get on the bike.

« Reply #924 on: 26 April, 2016, 11:07:46 am »
What I have found in my VERY short experience is that the simplicity once riding will end up being what brings the smile to ones face.

+1  :thumbsup:

In fact, I think I will go for a ride shortly just to put a smile on my face.