Author Topic: Thank you all  (Read 8434 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Thank you all
« Reply #25 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:27:26 am »
Roger, I'm sorry that I won't be seeing you on the road again but I hope to see you at some controls from time to time!  I recall the first time we rode together, on LEL in 2009, between Thorne and Coxwold (when your SatNav - which was completely new technology to me at the time - insisted on taking us up a dirt track to cut off, oh, about 3m of road) and several times more as we threaded our way to Motherwell and then back to Lee Valley.

I'll also remember you pulling me back on an early edition of the Hereward the wake 300 when I kept going off the front off our little pace line across the fens.  If I recall, FBoab, PloddinPedro and MarcusJB were in that line out too. I was impressed, somewhat patronisingly, at how someone who had come to group cycling comparatively late in life, could be so good at it.   We also got to ride the first part of PBP 11 together until stomach cramps hit me near Senonches. It was a huge disappointment at the end for me to realise that we'd spent the rest of the ride just missing each other at the controls.

You've done a great job with LEL and I hope you'll continue. As Marcus said, you're an inspiration.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:24:19 pm »
I've enjoyed riding with you a few times Roger, it was always a pleasure.

I hope you continue to enjoy cycling even if you aren't audaxing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:31:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments .. bring back some memories

Chris .. you were a joy to ride with .. and were the inspiration for my first PBP .. by insisting .. you are qualified at least try because if you do not you will not try when you are 69.  Then of course there was the arrow (pictured ) and the stern advice to Fboab, and always that SNOW ride .. never to be forgotten by the three of us.

So to add to the Palmares .. an arrow , the Scottish 1000 ( thx Graeme) it had not been forgotten .. I just thought the list was long enough already ....  and the lowest level possible of an ISR
Don't forget the Dinner Darts!  (no snow, so you've probably forgotten the ice)

Put your feet up, you've earned it  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Audax Monster

• Are you local???
« Reply #28 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:21:00 pm »
I had ridden quite a lot of Audaxes before I met Roger one day in August a few years ago on the Mildenhall 300.  He had started about 20 mins late, but despite the fact that I was riding slightly faster than him, he had caught me up.  We rode together for the rest of the way, through some of the worst rain I have ridden ever in!  We then discovered we lived not too far apart and so began a handful of years when I had the privilege of riding 200 km DIY's with Roger on a fairly regular basis.  Roger taught me a very important lesson - the easiest way to go a bit faster in Audax events is not to ride faster, it's to stop less.  And thus it was that Roger schooled me in the art of not faffing at controls.  And believe me he is the master at zero faffing!!!   The rides we did together were always enjoyable - Roger I will miss you.  I hope the move goes well and that you and Elke are very happy in your new home.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #29 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:18:32 pm »
It was an honour to validate your final brevet on Saturday, Rog  O:-)

The conditions out there were certainly spirit-breaking towards the end, we had to hand out foil blankets to several riders, you chose a tough day for your swan-song.  The family teared up when I told them that you'd said that that would be your last and that I believed you this time (having disbelieved you several times previously).

You picked me up on only my second audax (Norfolk Nips 2012, I think) and started me on the road to ECEs, RRTYs, SRs, LEL, and all that silliness, and riding with you so many times was informative and inspirational — you taught me all I knew about audax and gave me great advice early on — "you don't make progress while stopped".  Often I struggled to keep up, you were quicker than you believed, although the swearing up the hills has been a perpetual amusement ;)

You'll be missed.  Your legacy rides on :) x

ps. I'm going to keep working on you for 100km fair-weather, fairly flat BPs, so don't think you're completely stopping just yet, we'll just let the seasons change around first ;D
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #30 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:21:20 pm »
Thanks for the efforts on lel and also the company.

I still remember that Blue Moon ride in 2007.... :o
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:38:01 pm »
Thanks for the efforts on lel and also the company.

I still remember that Blue Moon ride in 2007.... :o

And it wasn't even an audax!

« Reply #32 on: 29 October, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »
Happy/Sad to see the old man hang up his SPDs.... here's to the memories esp with the grandchildren

PBP Cheer Squad

PAP celebration breakfast

Racing the grandson

Chapeau Dad

xxx

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 29 October, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
Roger, I kind of retired from audaxing in 2015 after failing to qualify for the PBP.  I went back to a previous pastime which I'm amazed isn't more popular, its called "just riding your bike (JRYB)"!  Of course there are no points, so no prizes but on the up side there are no rules, just do what you like!

JRYB can be strenuous and challenging (e.g. riding c120 miles in a day with 30kg of camping kit on board) or the exact opposite (e.g. riding to the shops) or my favourite which is somewhere in between.  Perhaps you could give it a try  :-* :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #34 on: 29 October, 2018, 06:12:12 pm »
I can second that, Roger.
Enjoy your not-an-audax career!  No need to identify controls at suitable locations.  The option of 195km rides etc.
(tho' I am still dreaming of having time to do more audaxes now the last last year of school exams is gone)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 29 October, 2018, 06:41:20 pm »
Happy/Sad to see the old man hang up his SPDs.... here's to the memories esp with the grandchildren

PBP Cheer Squad

PAP celebration breakfast

Racing the grandson

Chapeau Dad

xxx

Beautifully put, SoFB!

Welcome to the House of Fun!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 29 October, 2018, 07:26:49 pm »
FB once chased a courier across Norfolk to collect a new bike. He then drove over to PBP and delivered it to a bloke he'd never seen before for no more thanks than a handshake. I was always a cheapskate!

Since collecting that bike in 2007, we've ridden a lot of the same events. At so many of them, he'd sail past multiple times while I faffed and it always took longer than I expected to catch him. Our trip to a Dutch 300 a few years ago is a particularly happy memory for HK and I. Hopefully we'll get to ride and chat during some fun summer rides in the future.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #37 on: 29 October, 2018, 07:35:34 pm »
Forgotten the PBP bike  bit until you reminded me .. Holland ride rescued my enthusiasm several years ago and is well remembered 

I was a sucker  for getting bikes to PBP , although yours was the oddest .. next time it was Fboab's and then finally Teethgrinder's
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #38 on: 29 October, 2018, 07:36:56 pm »
I rest content with my memories .. 2PBP, LEL, PAP, 11 RRTY , Vets Champ and most distinctive ( maybe unique ) 10 SRs starting when I was 65.

That's a mightily fine effort FB, deserving of respect, well done.
Garry Broad

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #39 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:13:28 pm »
Captain, My Captain!

"Don't ride off the front if you don't know the way!"

Yeah, fboab!

Rog - so much of my time audaxing overlapped with yours; we must have ridden hundreds of hours together; sometimes in silence, often putting the world to right; in rain, snow (yes, including THAT ride), sun and wind.

Happy Audax Retirement!

Ha!  I think that Arrow might have been the first time I encountered some of the strange cyclists off the internet in person, and I well remember loitering on the sofa in the 'spoons with the 4 blokes anna bird team.  I suspect that may mean FB was one of the first ever audaxers that I gave cake to...

...rest assured, I also make cakes for retired audaxers.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #40 on: 31 October, 2018, 11:21:44 pm »
Our fastest ever 200 ride (the only sub 10 hours I think) was one of Sue and Keith's from Norwich. We met up with Roger somewhere out on the western windy extremes of the ride and he pretended to shelter behind us, only to later lead us back to Norwich at high speed.
Apart from that I don't think we've ridden together much, but we've crossed paths at a number of events...and I had the pleasure of analysing your prolific RRtY activity. Sorry to see you depart from the 200km scene, but congratulations on your achievements and best wishes for your "retirement".

« Reply #41 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:33:30 am »
Ahhh, brings back memories of my first ever 200 around 2012/23 in terrible weather from Witham, 6 of 60 started. I grovelled behind Roger and ChrisP for first 100km marveling how that old guy barely touched his bottles while I guzzled energy drinks and multiple gels. He seemed to metabolise air. You could have scraped me off the floor with astonishment at the turn in Manningtree when this same old guy bounced the cafe stop I so desperately needed... It was, of course, Roger.

Our paths have momentarily crossed, like many of us I am sure we are used to the Roger multiple sighting audax - you keep overtaking him and yet he finishes first. Still the model for getting around quickly and not f*cking about.

As the kids say, Respect! And I hope your post Audax riding is pleasurable and warm.

« Reply #42 on: 01 November, 2018, 02:53:01 pm »
Chapeau Roger, it was always nice seeing you on the road!

I'm still glad I managed to provide some support by giving you one of my lights on the Flatlands which I believe was the last ride for you Ultra Randonneur. There was no way that my SR was going to take precedence over you finishing that ride!

Phil W

« Reply #43 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:45:22 pm »
Enjoy your retirement from the longer audax distances and enjoy the relaxing organisational duties of LEL 2021 (I do of course jest about the latter). 

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #44 on: 07 November, 2018, 05:58:38 pm »
Only just seen this thread. We've ridden together a few times over the years, and your speed has always belied your "I'm old so don't wait for me". Hope to see you out and about sometime, and at the very least at LEL2021 !
Enjoy your 'retirement'  :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:23:49 pm »
Chapeau, FB!

I was about to post that I'd never ridden with FB, despite speaking weekly, if not daily, for nearly nine years. But that isn't true! FB once accompanied me on a recce of the LEL2013 prologue from Buckingham Palace. It wasn't really a success. Unsurprisingly, FB's riding style is pretty gung-ho, which doesn't really lend itself to route checking. I think he had the odometer so I had to keep screaming at him stop, by which time he had shot so far ahead we couldn't get an accurate distance reading.

He had planned to withdraw from LEL2021 as well as from riding, so I'm really, really happy he has decided to stay on. Behind the barking and ranting is a wise head who has done more for LEL and AUK than you might realise. And he's quite good fun to work with :-).

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #46 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
Kind comment Danial .. thanks. We did once ride for about 2 miles before you left me for dead on a Sue and Keith ride from Norwich .. a Norfolk Nip probably.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!