Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476058 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3575 on: 01 October, 2021, 05:30:59 pm »
Have been bitten by a garden monster. Not sure if it is a spider or horsefly bite. Bit of a lump in my shoulder. Not sore exactly but sensitive. Two days and counting. Antiseptic and  mozzy soothng creams applied. Not sure if we have any antihistamine.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3576 on: 01 October, 2021, 05:33:50 pm »
Chlorphenamine is like ibuprofen or loperamide:  The sort of thing you want to have in the drawer, because when you really need it the last thing you want to do is go shopping.

« Reply #3577 on: 01 October, 2021, 07:01:05 pm »
Found some Piriton in the dark recesses of a cupboard.

« Reply #3578 on: 06 October, 2021, 07:08:29 pm »
1 week today. Daughter No 2 had a look and reckons it was a false widow (she has been bitten hitherto) and that bits of its anatomy were still plugged into my back.  Applying tweezers and needles she removed said bits and I am now free of these. Perhaps the lump will now start to diminish.  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3579 on: 06 October, 2021, 07:14:04 pm »
Was it definitely not a tick? They are nasty little sods.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3580 on: 06 October, 2021, 09:03:20 pm »
Don't think so.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3581 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:12:39 pm »
Keep an eye on the bite site. Definitely seek medical advice if you get this pattern:

My brother and son-in-law both caught lyme disease but fortunately dealt with it promptly.

« Reply #3582 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:05:21 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3583 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:31:43 am »
I rolled the sun ez3 last night and  bruised my ribs on the right side. Sore  but coping. Every time I hit the ground it seems harder. Must be global warming  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3584 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:33:12 am »
GWS cycleman. At least it's only ribs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3585 on: 07 October, 2021, 10:38:40 am »
And not broken. GWS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3586 on: 07 October, 2021, 11:39:52 am »
Was the trike okay?

« Reply #3587 on: 07 October, 2021, 06:14:32 pm »
The first thing I  checked was the trike. It's fine 🙂
Thanks all  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3588 on: 11 October, 2021, 04:02:33 pm »
Spider bite. Still here. day 12,  is angry and getting a tad sore now. Does look very much like a classic false widow bite, possibly a recluse. NHS advice if getting worse/painful seek medical advice. Surgery Reception, can I see a Nurse, No. Can I see Doctor, No. Can a doctor phone me back, No. I ask question as to how their Interwebby self service system work as is not very clear on their web site. This requires an allocated surgery ID.  I am then requested to produce ID for myself which I do. It will be now be available to me from 6:30 pm tonight and then I will be able to make an appointment verbal or otherwise. My wife also has to attend and produce ID, notwithstanding my having signed a pro forma to act for her years ago, due to her disability. Strewth.

Boots now offer a £15 PIP qualified Pharmacist formal consultation. I  may end up having to do that, if I can't get an appointment or talk with a GP, rather than loading more on our local A and E Dept. This will go very much against the grain. However I do not fancy a hole in my shoulder. If I can find a walk in centre nearby, I might try that.

« Reply #3589 on: 11 October, 2021, 04:44:20 pm »
Spider bite. Still here. day 12,  is angry and getting a tad sore now. Does look very much like a classic false widow bite, possibly a recluse. NHS advice if getting worse/painful seek medical advice. Surgery Reception, can I see a Nurse, No. Can I see Doctor, No. Can a doctor phone me back, No. I ask question as to how their Interwebby self service system work as is not very clear on their web site. This requires an allocated surgery ID.  I am then requested to produce ID for myself which I do. It will be now be available to me from 6:30 pm tonight and then I will be able to make an appointment verbal or otherwise. My wife also has to attend and produce ID, notwithstanding my having signed a pro forma to act for her years ago, due to her disability. Strewth.

Boots now offer a £15 PIP qualified Pharmacist formal consultation. I  may end up having to do that, if I can't get an appointment or talk with a GP, rather than loading more on our local A and E Dept. This will go very much against the grain. However I do not fancy a hole in my shoulder. If I can find a walk in centre nearby, I might try that.

I am very very much against receptionists triaging patient calls. They are not medically trained.

Canardly, your surgery sounds absolutely crap. I've never had a problem getting a telephone appointment with the past 2 surgeries I've used (and one of those was put in special measures by CQC).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3590 on: 11 October, 2021, 06:12:17 pm »
While you're waiting to get proper medical attention if you have any Epsom salts it might be worth applying some of that in case there's anything in there it can draw out.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3591 on: 11 October, 2021, 10:42:12 pm »
At the start of the year, I began recording my daily steps without a specific target in mind. At the end of January, I had averaged a little over 8000 paces per day.

By late April I was averaging over 10000 paces per day, largely thanks to delivering political leaflets around the ward in which I was standing as the Green Party candidate in the May council elections.

Some time after that I decided to aim for 4,000,000 paces for the year, which meant a daily average of something approaching 11000 paces per day. I am now averaging 11267 paces per day.

Within the past few minutes, my required average paces per day to reach that target came down to below 10000.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3592 on: 12 October, 2021, 08:59:23 am »
Good going, Wow. I get fed up after walking for half an hour, and after an hour of it I'm ready to bite.

Last time I did a decent ride my smartass watch informed me that I had done 2668 steps and travelled 3.3 km in 7h35, burning 4800 kcal and climbing 41 floors in the process.

« Reply #3593 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:40:48 am »
The requisite allocated surgery ID info for the remote surgery appointment system 'System Online' did not arrive yesterday via email, nor is it pre allocated when you try to register using your name and DOB. I have checked spam folders both local and with service provider. Why is it so difficult?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3594 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:46:25 am »
Good going, Wow. I get fed up after walking for half an hour, and after an hour of it I'm ready to bite.

Last time I did a decent ride my smartass watch informed me that I had done 2668 steps and travelled 3.3 km in 7h35, burning 4800 kcal and climbing 41 floors in the process.
Interesting, in fact worrying, energy to distance ratio. Seems your smartass watch is more jackass than smart.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3595 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:51:48 am »
I'm coughing up what looks like lime-green chewing gum. :sick:  Yes, I know, don't eat lime-green
chewing gum
. Will pop into the local pharmacy and see what they recommend.

I once read that several generations ago people used to take cough medicine made up from liquorice for symptoms like mine.

Where's Gees Linctus when you need it?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3596 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:18:16 am »

Interesting, in fact worrying, energy to distance ratio. Seems your smartass watch is more jackass than smart.

Oh, I agree. TBF, I didn't tell it I was going cycling and I certainly didn't allow it into my phone's GPS, nasty battery-draining gadget that it is.  I only really wear it because it gets me out of having to schlepp a Holter around for 24 hours when I go to see the cardiologist.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3597 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:23:06 am »

To be fair, that is "paces or equivalent". It records bike rides, but at considerably fewer paces and recording less energy than is the true equivalent, and also digging the garden. Yesterday I dug an area of about 4 square metres and the machine recorded under 2000 paces for that. Digging - and that took me the best part of an hour - was a damned sight harder work that a 20 minute walk would have been! I generally record about 110 paces per minute when I'm walking on my own, rather fewer when I'm with Jan.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3598 on: 12 October, 2021, 11:00:19 am »
With my gadget, that "considerably fewer" is around 10%. And then the bugger says "Top job!"

« Reply #3599 on: 13 October, 2021, 05:37:18 pm »
Finally got some meds via a walk in health centre and telephone triage. They got back to me within the hour. Not my own practice. My surgery, fobs people off insisting that you phone in each morning at 8am. Also, the fact that my own practice holds a 'hub' surgery in the evenings in a different locality for people urgently wishing to see a medical professional was made known to me by the walk in Health Centre. This was not communicated to me by the receptionist when I visited my own surgery. They probably 'forgot' to tell me that this was available. (oh really). Thought you may be interested in the gruesome detail. Not a good photo as it is behind me. Watch out for them there spiders people.