Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 845713 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4800 on: 05 January, 2017, 09:53:16 am »
I've just finished "Himself" by Jess Kidd. Not my normal fare - this is "a blend of the natural everyday and the supernatural, folklore and mystery, and a healthy dose of quintessentially Irish humor" set in 1970's Mayo. Enjoyable enough.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4801 on: 05 January, 2017, 10:03:28 am »
Currently reading Chasing Embers by James Bennett. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chasing-Embers-Ben-Garston-Novels/dp/0356506649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483610497&sr=8-1&keywords=chasing+embers)

A modern day fantasy novel about magic, dragons etc

Enjoyable, but the writing style grates a little, especially after reading the Shadow Police trilogy.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4802 on: 09 January, 2017, 11:21:00 am »
Just finished "Europe in Winter" the latest in Dave Hutchinson's Fractured Europe series of novels. There will be a fourth and final book in the series apparently but no release date as yet.
The whole series is brilliant. Fantastic writing. Set in a near future Europe where the EU has broken up into micro states. No SF gizmos really but more of a feel of John le Carrie novel with some weird stuff about topology and maps. Oh and lots about restaurants and food. Highly recommended.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4803 on: 09 January, 2017, 11:35:36 am »
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  Very promising so far.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4804 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:46:41 pm »

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

« Reply #4805 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:47:00 am »
Currently reading Chasing Embers by James Bennett. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chasing-Embers-Ben-Garston-Novels/dp/0356506649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483610497&sr=8-1&keywords=chasing+embers)

A modern day fantasy novel about magic, dragons etc

Enjoyable, but the writing style grates a little, especially after reading the Shadow Police trilogy.

It gets better, I finished it last night.  I have gone from "Well, ok, I'll just read this one" to "I am quite looking forward to the next one.

Trouble is, now, I am Telford and my copy of The Hanging Tree is in NTR :(  I shall have to resort to the e-book tonight and start the aforementioned book tomorrow night.

Now I am looking forward to the next:
Shadow Police
Inspector Logan
Rivers of London (even though I haven't read Hanging Tree yet)
The ones about the Police guy in Edinburgh wherein supernatural things play a part (or is that Logan? In which case I mean the ones set in Aberdeen, too!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4806 on: 10 January, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »
Just finished a Christmas present book "SAS: Rogue Heroes - The Authorized Wartime History" Ben MacIntyre.

What a bunch of nutters ! Miles behind enemy lines in occupied Europe with only 40 troops and a ragtag bunch of partisans and escaped Russian troops, what do you radio back to the UK to have airdropped to help the situation why a piper of course. And even more amazingly HQ says what a good idea and parachutes one in !

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4807 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:41:46 pm »
Just started Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrigue. It all fits into a real-tennis match between a Spaniard and an Italian but involves Henry VIII, beheadings and the slitting of throats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4808 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
Tiermat, Logan is Aberdeen, Inspector McLean is Embra.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4809 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:57:16 pm »
I've just finished The Hanging Tree and before that I read the last Shadow Police book. Not quite sure what to read next but I'm on holiday so I better pick something good.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4810 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:01:48 pm »
Anyone read the Inspector Hobbes books by Wilkie Martin?

tiermat

« Reply #4811 on: 16 January, 2017, 08:24:02 pm »
Tiermat, Logan is Aberdeen, Inspector McLean is Embra.

Thanks for that

Now on The Hanging Tree.  Did you wonder just WTF he is on about haunted BMWs? If you did you need to read the graphic novel.

Should I have a look at the Inspector Hobbes?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4812 on: 17 January, 2017, 06:55:04 am »
Should I have a look at the Inspector Hobbes?

I'll tell you when I've read a bit more of it.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4813 on: 17 January, 2017, 08:39:10 am »
Currently reading Dead Girl Walking by Chris Brookmyre.

Also lined up Rivers of London.

I have to say how much I appreciate this thread for expanding my reading choices.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4814 on: 17 January, 2017, 05:33:15 pm »
Just finished Guy Martin's latest autobiographic tome "Worms to catch" which covers a year in his life after his last bad road race crash where he broke his back again.
Very good section on riding the Tour Divide.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4815 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:46:49 pm »
re-reading The Russia House by Le Carre,

Also Reading Jack Welch's Autobiography

Just started reading The Philosophy of Mathematics, first two chapters so far and I'm hooked, I'm very surprised at the humour in the subject and I've learned the proof of Pythagoras theorem, very elegant.  Picked this one up on a whim thinking "that sounds interesting"

Reading James Bond with my son, just done Octopussy

Given up on 1Q84 for now
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4816 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
I've just seen that Kent Anderson, author of "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Night Dogs", has a new novel out in August.  "Green Sun" , the further adventures of Hanson as he joins the police in Oakland.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4817 on: 18 January, 2017, 11:14:54 am »
Just started Carl Hiaasen's latest, "Razor Girl".  Looks promising so far.

« Reply #4818 on: 18 January, 2017, 11:35:58 am »

(click to show/hide)
You bugger, I didn't look at the spoiler earlier lest it give anything away!  ;D

« Reply #4819 on: 18 January, 2017, 11:39:51 am »

By "promising", you mean "twisted as hell", don't you?  :demon:  ;D ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4820 on: 18 January, 2017, 06:56:36 pm »

Think on what she might be shaving, and that's just the start of it...

« Reply #4821 on: 18 January, 2017, 07:24:54 pm »

Think on what she might be shaving, and that's just the start of it...

<Thinks>

I know the NFF* story that quite likely provides the inspiration for what you refer to: http://keysnews.com/node/21349   ;D

* Normal For Florida
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4822 on: 18 January, 2017, 07:54:02 pm »
Just finished a Christmas present book "SAS: Rogue Heroes - The Authorized Wartime History" Ben MacIntyre.

What a bunch of nutters ! Miles behind enemy lines in occupied Europe with only 40 troops and a ragtag bunch of partisans and escaped Russian troops, what do you radio back to the UK to have airdropped to help the situation why a piper of course. And even more amazingly HQ says what a good idea and parachutes one in !

Brilliant book made better by it's truth. My Uncle (commando not SAS) took part in the Dieppe commando raid and lost a hand throwing grenades back at the German/nazi troops, bonkers. He became a legend in the 60's by saying to a mate who was helping me with my Mum moving some stuff when he said "Want a hand son" (imagine gruff East End accent) my mate without thinking "yes please Joe" with a wry smile my Uncle Joe passed him his hook and burst into a fit of laughter at my mates face.

BTW Have you read about Billie Millin the piper, now that was insane.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4823 on: 18 January, 2017, 09:32:58 pm »

Brilliant book made better by it's truth. My Uncle (commando not SAS) took part in the Dieppe commando raid and lost a hand throwing grenades back at the German/nazi troops, bonkers. He became a legend in the 60's by saying to a mate who was helping me with my Mum moving some stuff when he said "Want a hand son" (imagine gruff East End accent) my mate without thinking "yes please Joe" with a wry smile my Uncle Joe passed him his hook and burst into a fit of laughter at my mates face.

BTW Have you read about Billie Millin the piper, now that was insane.

Apparently captured Germans when interviewed said they didn't shoot him because they thought he'd gone mad.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4824 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:40:59 am »
Just read The Buried Giant by Izzywizzy-let's-get-busy. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. The latest John Connolly novel, and halfway through the latest James Lee Burke novel Light of the World.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex