Author Topic: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2012  (Read 26096 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2012
« Reply #25 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:46:28 pm »
Since when has riding a recumbent bike been difficult? And why on earth would you ride round in circles?  ???
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #26 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:18:02 pm »
I thought the riding in circles comment was about an attempt he made at riding a trike.

We watch the ITV as Mrs Dan finds the "authentic irishman" grates.

Can I add "tapping out the rhythm" to the drinking game? I'm thirsty.

Fast Bill

• Per titanium ad tea room
« Reply #27 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:31:06 pm »
I for one am looking forward to the first mention of someones "job of work" being over (which I vaguely recall is Mr Boardmans speciality) ...
Apex predator of fruit cake

« Reply #28 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »
I thought the riding in circles comment was about an attempt he made at riding a trike.

They both rode in circles  :)

Phil trying out a recumbent while on holiday in Cornwall with friends.
This then reminded Paul of his experience of trying to ride a Trike. Again in circles though. So he gave up after that!

These two experiences then led to Phil's concluding comment - "It looks easy, but it's very, very difficult".
Garry Broad

« Reply #29 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »
But don't be too keen to dismiss them, http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/team-predictions/
...not yet at least!

« Reply #30 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:17:23 am »
I flicked onto ITV 4 just as Mr Boardman and ? were showing how a lead out for a sprint worked.   I switched channels quickly.
But I must say Cav's ride was a masterclass in sprinting, although he admitted he should have jumped earlier!

« Reply #31 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:24:09 am »
I flicked onto ITV 4 just as Mr Boardman and Ned Boulting were showing how a lead out for a sprint worked.   I switched channels quickly.
But I must say Cav's ride was a masterclass in sprinting, although he admitted he should have jumped earlier!

FTFY
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:40:25 am »
"He's riding a recumbent bicycle" [a spectator on the other carriage-way, not a competitor!]

It was a trike.

But better than the original guess of "A high speed wheelchair"

Well that's what I'll be calling them from this day forth.

fuzzy

« Reply #33 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:42:48 am »
Like you, spesh, I'm finding Phil and Paul do grate a bit these days. Might try the cheapskate solution of an audio feed from Eurosport from now on while watching on ITV4 - if I can put up with the delay 'twixt vision and sound. It is on Eurosport, right? Or am I being a bit thick not realising that Sky are showing it instead now?

It is indeed still on Eurosport, where you can get commentary from David Harmon and Sean Kelly.  I find this significantly more bearable than Ligget 'n' Sherwin.  However the Eurosport logo is causing increasing image retention on my plasma screen >:( so a means of having ITV4 pictures and Eurosport audio would be useful.  I'm obviously watching too much pro cycling.

The problem I find with Eurosport coverage is that, needing to watch the highlights show which I record, I have lost cout of the number of times the programme has started late and the recording finished before the end of the stage >:( Too bloody lax on their scheduling.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #34 on: 03 July, 2012, 12:16:55 pm »
I'm just pathetically grateful that we get any cycling coverage at all on free "mainstream" telly and will put up with the inanities without so much as a wince.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #35 on: 03 July, 2012, 12:23:46 pm »
I'm just pathetically grateful that we get any cycling coverage at all on free "mainstream" telly and will put up with the inanities without so much as a wince.

Good point.   If I couldn't watch the Tour on "free" telly I would consider getting Sky.  Since this would be my only reason for getting Sky such a move would be incredibly expensive.  It would probably be cheaper to cross The Channel and follow the Tour round in person ... now, there's a thought  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2012, 01:23:20 pm »
Last year ITV4 managed 3 different pronunciations of Voeckler.

A couple of years ago Phil managed three different pronunciations of Andreas Kloeden's surname in the same sentence :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

A couple of years ago Phil managed three different pronunciations of Andreas Kloeden's surname in the same sentence :facepalm:

Hence my prescription of just a sip for every pismronounciation.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 03 July, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »

Precisely this.

I'd go further and say I actually like the Liggett and Sherwin commentary and I like the Boardman info about each stage as he rides/walks the finish.

I don't like any adverts, that's why I start watching 20 minutes after the start and use my PVR to jump through them.

Hats off to ITV4 for covering it live and for the extended highlights show.

I'm waiting for the complaining to start on YACF when ITV decides to drop coverage of the Tour.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2012, 04:39:21 pm »
"Chaos" was clearly today's buzzword but, amid it all, Evans and a team-mate were riding "calmly and collectively." Maybe they were?  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #40 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:16:09 pm »

Hence my prescription of just a sip for every pismronounciation;)

That's what we need. Sod Duffers, Bring on Ronnie Barker. "And while Wadley Briggins burks in the lunch the minters are splashing at the font awaiting the Lionel Funge"
Working my way up to inferior.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #41 on: 07 July, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »
Quote from: Paul Sherwen
when they saw this mountain rear up in front of them, they must have thought it was like a hammer in the face
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #42 on: 07 July, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »
I think my favourite this week was on Wednesday when Phil said 'there's moisture on the camera lens, must be riders sweat'  ???
5 seconds later ... 'oh it's actually raining'  :facepalm:

« Reply #43 on: 07 July, 2012, 08:36:34 pm »
And continuing in their efforts to educate us "Kenya - it's a nation in Africa"
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #44 on: 08 July, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
"This climb is 14% increasing to 11% at some points..."
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #45 on: 08 July, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »
They just accused Cuddles of being Canadian...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #46 on: 08 July, 2012, 04:02:03 pm »
I caught my first hearing of Phil and "Mano a mano" on Friday ...

This year Phil seems a bit better than he had been - much less of the re-saying what Paul has just said ... but Paul seems even worse with his "Yes Phil .... <repeat of Phil's last statement> - .... and ... "    at every commentary change-over.   

And WHY do they (especially Paul) have to rabbit all the time? ... it's television, we can see what's happening!

Not seen any "Ask Phil & Paul" questions from viewers yet this year - but we seem to get more of Boardman and Boulting.

BTW I stopped for a phone call on the club run on Weds ... nobody to "pace me back to the main field of the bike race this afternoon" as Paul would have said  ;D
Rob

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #47 on: 08 July, 2012, 04:31:07 pm »
They're a pair of daft tw@ts who I avoid at all costs. I'd rather listen to Robert Peston.

Si

« Reply #48 on: 08 July, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »
I think it was yesterday that one of them refereed to a rider having a "rival team-mate" in the group with him.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #49 on: 08 July, 2012, 05:51:56 pm »
There is no such mountain as Mt Kilimanjaro!