Author Topic: Worlds Glasgow 2023  (Read 5081 times)

Re: Worlds Glasgow 2023
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:03:35 pm »
Quite a finish to the 200 lap Madison (Mens Elite)...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:17:00 pm »
Just watched the Mixed B Team sprint on the track coverage. Basically 2 tandems with a women's tandem leading out a men's tandem over 750m (so women for 2 laps and then peel off to leave the men for the last lap). Brilliantly bonkers. It's a para event, but they should put that in the non-para events too

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2023, 07:01:14 pm »
XC MTB
(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #28 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:33:30 pm »
We had a week in Norfolk while this was on, but I bookended the journeys with the two road races. We watched the men go through Rosyth before heading south and I got dropped off in Glasgow to see the Women's RR circuits on the way back.

Both were great - the men's for the whoosh effect of the peleton flying through in a matter of seconds on roads I ride myself, and the women's for the steady build up of suspense until the last lap. I was able to move from Argyle St, to the finish, up Montrose St and settled round the corner on Cathedral St where I could see the riders twice, coming in 2 directions.

The event was well marshalled and road crossings were managed pretty well in the gaps between race entourages progress.

Disagree with the criticism of the circuit- the world championships are run over different parcours which suit different types of riders (climbers, sprinters, classics riders etc.). It is fine to have the criterium type race occasionally as well.

Think Glasgow embraced it fully I saw loads of people on the trains to and from the women's race and all were animated and excited about the event. Scotrail even planned for it in advance and had extra capacity on the train I was on (almost unheard of!)

Friends have been to the track and MTB in Glentress as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope others did too!

« Reply #29 on: 14 August, 2023, 07:49:15 pm »
Went to the men's roll out in Edinburgh and the final day of mountain biking in Glentress. Enjoyed both.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #30 on: 14 August, 2023, 08:35:12 pm »
We saw lots of BMXers and a few TT teams out on Crow Road, I wondered how much ribbing they gave the roadies.

(I'm told that despite the commentary, Crow Road is the one in Glasgow, and the Crow Road is the hill in the Campsies. Although the Ian Banks story is called The Crow Road, but about the Glasgow one, for added confusion)

Walking out of Central station to see the French Mixed TT team riding past on a recce was a good welcome to Glasgow!

I think there was valid criticism of the RR circuit from the racer/team POV. The convoy was huge (and not just on the Men's Elite) If you had a mechanical it was basically race over. That's not right. As a spectator it was great fun, like watching RVV but not needing a car to get to multiple spectating points.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #31 on: 15 August, 2023, 06:48:15 am »
Fair point on mechanicals ruining the race, though Annemiek Van Vleuten was the exception that proved the rule- she got back from over a minute down after a slow wheel change and played a big part for several laps after.  But once the race was on, that was it- Jhonnatan Narvaez's crash was the one that defined the final group in the men's race.

The neutral service seemed to be very slow- Christine Marjerus was urging people not to use Shimano after a slow change ruined her race.  Also seemed to be too many vehicles in the entourage- some neutral service motorbikes were running in front of the first riders?  Not sure how that works...

« Reply #32 on: 15 August, 2023, 08:15:09 am »
Also seemed to be too many vehicles in the entourage- some neutral service motorbikes were running in front of the first riders?  Not sure how that works...

In general, it's not unusual to have neutral service and other vehicles (e.g. commissaries) ahead of the race. That way, when splits develope they can find a safe place to pull over and fall back into the gap, which is far safer than trying to get up past the peloton to do the same. If they were in front, then it was because the Comms didn't think there was enough of a gap, or thought there were already enough support vehicles in that gap. It's always a judgement call, especially when a break is developing, as it's harder to get a car out of the gap when they are caught in a way that doesn't affect the racing (bunch having to overtake a car that's not been able to overtake or find a safe spot to pull over due to narrow or twisty roads etc).

That's a obviously a general comment, without knowing the specifics of how the race was playing out on the ground and where all the vehicles were (which the race organisation should be keeping track of) when you saw them.

« Reply #33 on: 15 August, 2023, 09:57:38 am »
We went to the final day of the indoor.   We saw cycle ball and artistic cycling and hugely enjoyed both.  Just incredible skill levels on a bike.

« Reply #34 on: 15 August, 2023, 10:04:07 am »
Also seemed to be too many vehicles in the entourage- some neutral service motorbikes were running in front of the first riders?  Not sure how that works...

In general, it's not unusual to have neutral service and other vehicles (e.g. commissaries) ahead of the race. That way, when splits develope they can find a safe place to pull over and fall back into the gap, which is far safer than trying to get up past the peloton to do the same. If they were in front, then it was because the Comms didn't think there was enough of a gap, or thought there were already enough support vehicles in that gap. It's always a judgement call, especially when a break is developing, as it's harder to get a car out of the gap when they are caught in a way that doesn't affect the racing (bunch having to overtake a car that's not been able to overtake or find a safe spot to pull over due to narrow or twisty roads etc).

That's a obviously a general comment, without knowing the specifics of how the race was playing out on the ground and where all the vehicles were (which the race organisation should be keeping track of) when you saw them.

Thanks for the explanation- that makes sense :-)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 15 August, 2023, 10:48:38 am »
(I'm told that despite the commentary, Crow Road is the one in Glasgow, and the Crow Road is the hill in the Campsies. Although the Ian Banks story is called The Crow Road, but about the Glasgow one, for added confusion)

Referring to inanimate objects as "The ---" is a Scotticism that comes from The Gaelic, hence why we never go to hospital, always The Hospital.
Working out the rules for roads though...
Tends to be roads that go places or cross things such as The Lecht, The Cairnwell, The Perth Road but then there's also The High Street and Cairn O Mounth

Banks was a Fifer though.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 15 August, 2023, 12:31:08 pm »
Major London roads are always “The”.  The Mile End Road, the Old Kent Road, the Edgware Road etc.  There may be a majorness cutoff.  Streets never are.  Other thoroughfares may vary.  The Strand but Haymarket.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #37 on: 15 August, 2023, 01:17:44 pm »

Referring to inanimate objects as "The ---" is a Scotticism that comes from The Gaelic, hence why we never go to hospital, always The Hospital.
Tends to be roads that go places or cross things such as The Lecht, The Cairnwell, The Perth Road but then there's also The High Street and Cairn O Mounth

Here's a thing though: here in thon Forfar, some natives tell me they do their shopping at "the Asda". But others just go to "Tesco", nobody shops at "the Tesco".  ???

I too was a Fifer though.  ;)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #38 on: 15 August, 2023, 02:40:10 pm »
Bit late to this as we only got back from Glasgow at the weekend. There was a great vibe about the place and always something going on. Our highlights were the Men's Road Race and, in the velodrome, the Men's IP (though we watched that on the telly in the airbnb). Three trips to the velodrome yielded a good number of GBR golds, I even wore a Union Flag T shirt (but got mild abuse on the walk there so covered it on the subsequent days walks. Very sorry we couldn't stay for the Women's Road Race.

The Glaswegians really took it to their hearts. Overheard on a city centre street - one end of a phonecall - "And there's all these f!;#ing wa';#ers on therr bikes all over the f!;#ing pavement. What yee gunna do?"  This made me laugh out loud, but there were two or three conversations in a similar vein and the Uber driver wasn't very happy. The road race course meant pedestrian barriers everywhere for well over a week throughout the whole of central Glasgow so they had a point.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #39 on: 15 August, 2023, 04:51:09 pm »

Here's a thing though: here in thon Forfar, some natives tell me they do their shopping at "the Asda". But others just go to "Tesco", nobody shops at "the Tesco".  ???

I too was a Fifer though.  ;)

Tesco? Oh you mean Tesco's, i think it's the possession that changes that.
Actually thinking about it I'd call it ASDAs so same rule.
It's not an inanimate object it's someone's shop, but there's No Mr Asda or Mrs Tesco, I guess there was a Family Morrisons though.
It's definitely The Copey (Co-Op) though

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #40 on: 15 August, 2023, 10:21:47 pm »
Apparently the odd thing was commentators saying they're now going up/down Crow Road, which seemed to have been built into a mythical climb, when a) local folks call it the Crow Road (maybe not as deserving as e.g. the Lecht) and b) the peloton(s) barely noticed it.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #41 on: 15 August, 2023, 11:15:09 pm »
They (whoever they are - map makers?) should have just stuck with the old name (Craw Road) for the one in the Campsies, to avoid confusion. Though I think pretty much everyone calls that one The Crow Road, and the one in Partick just Crow Road.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #42 on: 16 August, 2023, 12:58:26 am »
Nonono have you not seen the OS policy of anglifying everything?

Craw is too base and rough to be used in a official document like a map.

They even renamed Bod an Deamhain after anglifying it because it was too rude.

And the there's all the renaming in Fife that meant going back to the gaelic names to get an English name despite the Scots names being closer to the Fife gaelic pronunciations, Kilconquar indeed.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #43 on: 16 August, 2023, 10:35:20 am »
Nonono have you not seen the OS policy of anglifying everything?

Craw is too base and rough to be used in a official document like a map.

They even renamed Bod an Deamhain after anglifying it because it was too rude.

I have always understood that that one was due Queen Victoria enquiring as to the translation... the one that annoys me is people referring to Sgor an Lochan Uaine as "Angel's Peak" (admittedly the OS map has both but it has the Gaelic in bigger letters).

I had always thought that there was only one Crow Road, the climb. Where is the other one?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 16 August, 2023, 12:08:10 pm »
It's where Aunty Janice lives :D

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EPYGQj1BQAUJhTex5
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #45 on: 17 August, 2023, 04:56:04 pm »