Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2023  (Read 8170 times)

Tour of Britain 2023
« on: 08 August, 2023, 11:37:55 am »
Full route is now published. Includes the cancelled Tewkesbury to Gloucester stage from last year (that was supposed to be the day after the Queen died), but not the Isle of Wight, which is a shame. Less than a month to go...

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/landmarks-famous-climbs-and-much-loved-locations-to-feature-along-tour-of-britain-2023-route/

Re: Tour of Britain 2023
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2023, 02:11:51 pm »
And the race manual is now available.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/download-the-tour-of-britain-2023-race-guide/

Day 1 is going to be a killer - long, and scenic (in an Audax sense).

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:40:49 am »
They really should check other events. My Morris Audaxes run the opposite way on the Cotswolds stage for 15km causing major disruption. I'm sure they'll pause to let us go first  :)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:44:58 am »
Have you checked the timings? Will it actually clash?

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:47:48 am »
Yep, don't worry, I've checked.

The Major riders will be well ahead of it (apart from one 200m stretch) and the Minor riders get a good chance to spectate. They've been informed, have been offered an alternative start time, and may be considered hors delai if anyone finishes OOT.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:50:40 am »
That's good :-)

It may well be a nice break to watch the ride come through. On one of the Mr Pickwick rides I ended up watching Morris Dancers in a town square for a while - which at least made me think that there's people out there even madder than Audaxers!

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2023, 04:25:49 pm »
And the race manual is now available.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/download-the-tour-of-britain-2023-race-guide/

Day 1 is going to be a killer - long, and scenic (in an Audax sense).

I'll be riding out to watch the climb at Grains Bar and may ride down into the city centre to watch the finish as well

« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2023, 03:26:52 pm »
Rode up Grains Bar this morning. I remember it being harder (I grew up a few miles from there). But then I was on the p2w this time...

« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2023, 12:36:02 pm »
Watching Stage One on ITV4 now.
Love the deliberate way that David enunciates names such as ‘Stock—Port’ and ‘HAZEL Grove’ (Mrs B: ‘ he’s making it sound like a nice place’)
Then, just now, ‘the Manhattan-esque skyline of central Manchester’

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2023, 12:44:47 pm »
My father in law always maintained that Hazel Grove was dead posh.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 03 September, 2023, 01:05:59 pm »
https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/race/stage-timetables/

Stage timings for anyone interested.

Looks like they go past the top of my road next Sunday afternoon. There's also a sprint in a town 5 miles away and a cat 2 climb.

Not sure where to head to really.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2023, 01:22:22 pm »

Looks like they go past the top of my road next Sunday afternoon. There's also a sprint in a town 5 miles away and a cat 2 climb.

Saturday…
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2023, 01:22:39 pm »
I an keeping an eye cocked towards how young Zeb does at this Tour. He doesn’t seem to be close to peaking yet. He has come a very long way since I was pushing a very young Zeb up some steep hills on Moultons.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2023, 02:24:51 pm »

Chedworth woods near Withington (I'm sure you know that area). There is a short, steep hairpin
turn (that I have to ride up in 26 x 27 gear) where I hope to see the peloton crawl up it. :thumbsup:

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2023, 02:38:34 pm »
I've posted this elsewhere but it can fit here, too, I think.

Over to Grains Bar on the wild borders of Oldham and Rochdale to see the first stage of the Tour of Britain.  Blue skies, hundreds of spectators at the top of the 9Cat 2) hill and generally a great occasion.  No chance of finding two friends who were likely to be there until we were all departing and I spotted one of them.

This necessitated me climbing a local hill (Huddersfield Road) which until the arrival of Atrial fibrillation and attendant beta blockers, I never really thought about.  Now, I can still get up it but it takes so long if I'm not to try too hard!  Also slightly chastened on the descent home to be passed at the speed of light by dozens of cyclists making their ways home.  I suppose I'm doing the right thing, expecting to die if I come off at those speeds, but it's ever-so slightly humiliating.  God knows what speed the racers came down it.  Come to think of it, they seemed to be climbing the Cat 2 faster than I was going home!

But these musings don't overshadow a fabulous ride out!

« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2023, 04:29:54 pm »
Awesome first day, with fantastic weather. Big support at the roadside too, in all the towns and villages and the various Kom lines. Forgot how good some of those roads are to ride!

« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2023, 05:32:14 pm »

Unfortunately at my current level of mobility (hobbling around with a crutch) the bottom of Selsley Hill will be the only possibility. Not the most exciting spot, but I don't think I could hobble any further.

« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2023, 07:08:31 pm »
Rode up Grains Bar this morning. I remember it being harder (I grew up a few miles from there). But then I was on the p2w this time...

yeah me too, was a good laugh

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2023, 07:42:54 pm »

Unfortunately at my current level of mobility (hobbling around with a crutch) the bottom of Selsley Hill will be the only possibility. Not the most exciting spot, but I don't think I could hobble any further.

Ah sorry to hear that.

Maybe hobble up to the corner pinch point just below Water Lane, just in case Pidcock is on one.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2023, 09:46:52 pm »
We are going to be at the stage finish in Gloucester.

I shall take my camera…
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #20 on: 03 September, 2023, 10:23:32 pm »
It just occurred to me that at Grains Bar I was within 2 feet of Wout van Aert - and neither of us realised!  If there was a thread called "Their Tenuous Claims To Fame", I could have posted it there!

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2023, 07:42:18 am »
It just occurred to me that at Grains Bar I was within 2 feet of Wout van Aert - and neither of us realised!

What was he drinking ?    :D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 04 September, 2023, 09:48:21 am »
I an keeping an eye cocked towards how young Zeb does at this Tour. He doesn’t seem to be close to peaking yet. He has come a very long way since I was pushing a very young Zeb up some steep hills on Moultons.

In the break most of the first day is a strong showing at this level. Hopefully he gets another chance soon.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #23 on: 04 September, 2023, 10:32:29 am »
Is there a forum or familial connection to Zeb?

« Reply #24 on: 04 September, 2023, 10:35:24 am »
It just occurred to me that at Grains Bar I was within 2 feet of Wout van Aert - and neither of us realised!

What was he drinking ?    :D

Pure mountain air - this is Oldham!  (Seriously, grains ...)