Author Topic: Brick Lane - Where's good to eat?  (Read 1967 times)

Brick Lane - Where's good to eat?
« on: 25 August, 2018, 02:35:04 pm »
There are dozens of places to eat along Brick Lane, but I'd appreciate recommendations for somewhere decent and reasonably priced, please. Curries prevail, but other cuisines welcome too.

Oh, and it should open on Bank Holiday Monday...

Ta!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Brick Lane - Where's good to eat?
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2018, 03:26:37 pm »
Does it have to be Brick Lane specifically? Tayyab's in Whitechapel is better than anything on Brick Lane and barely half a mile away.
http://tayyabs.co.uk/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2018, 03:31:31 pm »
Nope, we're in the Aldgate East Travelodge, so anywhere roughly in that area is fine. I just know of Brick Lane by reputation.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2018, 08:13:46 am »
+1 for Tayyabs.
Also, Lahore at 218 Commercial Road. Used to be excellent, although I confess that it is a while since I last ate there.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:27:46 am »
Also, Lahore at 218 Commercial Road. Used to be excellent, although I confess that it is a while since I last ate there.

Lahore! I was trying to remember the name but it wasn't coming to me.

IIRC there are two Lahore Kebab Houses in the area so you have to be careful not to go to the wrong one. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were several Lahore Kebab Houses across East London.

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:31:12 am »
There's at least half a dozen Lahore restaurants across London.
If memory serves, the one at 218 Commercial Road is the original one, with a high reputation.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:32:36 am »
Curries aside, the legendary Brick Lane Beigel Bakery is an absolute must.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
If memory serves, the one at 218 Commercial Road is the original one, with a high reputation.

I'll have to take your word for it because I can't remember which is the one I used to go to. It's been a few years...

I had a memorable meal at Tayyab's while my wife was in labour in the Royal London next door. I would have stayed with her rather than go for a curry, obviously, but they had no beds in the labour ward so she was in the maternity ward and it was after visiting hours so the nurses kicked me out. 20 years on, she's never let me forget this, and yes, with hindsight I know I should have stood my ground and refused to be kicked out.

It was a very good curry though.

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:54:30 am »
I'm pretty sure that none of the other Lahores have any connection with the one I've mentioned - so beware.

Right now I'd quite like a hot salt beef on rye with mustard and a dill cucumber.
In fact, I'm tempted to get on my bike and call that breakfast :)

ETA - And I'm pretty sure that it won't cost me £4.50  ;)

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:58:16 am »
In fact, I'm tempted to get on my bike and call that breakfast :)

Why did I ever think it was a good idea to move out of London?  :'(

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2018, 02:51:00 pm »
As citoyen and jurek have said, Tayyabs or Lahore kebab house.   Get the feeling that Brick lane catereds more for the drunk and want a curry so stopped going.  Unless it is after midnight then somewhere along the strip will be open.

Ah yes the bagel shops have to be experienced...

« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2018, 02:55:25 pm »
Beigel Bake is the one to go for.
The Beigel Shop next door  (run by the brother of the owner of the above) is a poor imitation...

Bank Holiday Rain has put me off cycling today - but I've just realised that an Oyster Card and a (fewer than 10 minutes) walk at either end of a Ginger Line trip, from Forest Hill to Shoreditch High Street are likely to avail me of my breakfast tomorrow.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2018, 02:59:51 pm »
Beigel Bake is the one to go for.
The Beigel Shop next door  (run by the brother of the owner of the above) is a poor imitation...

Bank Holiday Rain has put me off cycling today - but I've just realised that an Oyster Card and a (fewer than 10 minutes) walk at either end of a Ginger Line trip, from Forest Hill to Shoreditch High Street are likely to avail me of my breakfast tomorrow.

Which shop is a whole other discussion ;)

Weather is really horrible at the mo so I don't want to move.

« Reply #13 on: 27 August, 2018, 11:45:28 am »

ETA - And I'm pretty sure that it won't cost me £4.50  ;)
It cost me £4.80.
But that included a tea, so strong that you could creosote a garden shed with it.
And they can certainly teach The Whitstable Coffee Company a thing or two.... about massively overfilling two slices of bread.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:47:15 am »
Those recommended, Tayyabs can be a bit noisy and rushed and don't expect fine dining, but the food is good – Brick Lane is mostly a tourist and drunk gauntlet. Every restaurant is award winning in the same way as every Cornish pasty franchise is. Always better to find something a few streets away. You should go to Kill the Cat though, they have a good couple of beer fridges and usually something tasty on tap.