Author Topic: Eureka/Cheshire Safari  (Read 3921 times)

Eureka/Cheshire Safari
« on: 05 November, 2016, 11:57:04 am »
For those due to ride either of these events tomorrow (6th November) you should see the amended route maps and GPX files at Eureka or Cheshire Safari.

The road after Bucklow Hill is currently closed for construction of the A556 and even the most determined Audaxer will not get through.  Don't take that as a challenge!  You will need to scramble about in deep excavations and negotiate impressive fencing.  You also don't want to end up cycling on the A556 from Bucklow Hill, which is no place for cyclists.

The mandatory alternative is to continue on Ashley Road from Tatton Park, then along the A50 to pick up the route at the Bears Paw onto Swineyard Lane.

We've run the Eureka 200 for 12 years now and it has seen a number of enforced route changes.  We now have our own bridge over the A494 after Eureka, and slight modifications near Wrexham Industrial Estate.  We will also have to make some changes when work starts on HS2, but to be honest, I think that's a few years in the future.

Re: Eureka/Cheshire Safari
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2016, 12:43:52 pm »
Did you find the pedestrian access at 158km on the 200 to be reasonable?

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2016, 01:02:15 pm »
Did you find the pedestrian access at 158km on the 200 to be reasonable?

Yes.  There is a "Cyclists Dismount" sign which we observed.  In that, we saw it.

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2016, 11:51:29 pm »
Thanks to the organisers for running this - well organised despite the detours.

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2016, 11:00:55 am »
Thanks to organisers and volunteers for a great day out.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2016, 10:39:00 am »
Well done Peak Audax and org' Peter Hammond :thumbsup:

You know you've made  it when you run an event for 12 years, which, takes place in November, attracts entries in three figures, and gets a response of 4 one-liners on here.

« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2016, 10:43:59 am »
five one-liners.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2016, 12:52:25 pm »
Six. (OK, not strictly a one-liner)

Enjoyed immensely, despite spending so long at Our Kid's in Ellesmere Port I nearly missed the Eureka cutoff then I spent the rest of the day playing catchup.

I then contrived a last 20km route amendment that left me on the main(er) road to Alderley Edge, though the traffic was well behaved and left me well alone.

First one for 2 and a bit years  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2016, 05:51:25 pm »
All i can say is thankyou to all riders for making the event a success , 88 validated on the Eureka! and 66 on the Safari , it would not have been possible but for my brilliant team of helpers and not fotgetting the soup dragon !
I am sorting out next years event  already ;D

« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2016, 08:43:15 pm »
**** **!

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2016, 10:21:25 pm »
A great day out, if a tad chilly.  But better than last years monsoon.  Thoroughly enjoyable route and lot is very familiar particularly around Eureka being from Wirral.  Was about 2.5 hours quicker than last year as I didn't stop as much and decided not to get 2 punctures  :)

Thanks to the organisers and that soup certainly hit the spot at the end  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:03:25 pm »
**** **!

Not at all my dear chap.  I couldn't have put it better myself

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2016, 01:09:14 am »
 ;)

« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2017, 10:25:26 am »
Anyone riding this weekend?  I've just looked at the weather forecast - there's link from http://www.delphcyclist.info/Eureka.html - and we're due some sunshine.  Looks a bit chilly though, and we've had broken bones in previous years with fast riders at the front encountering frosty leaves, so take care.  The dip on Mill Lane at 10km is a favourite spot.  But at least you can count the planes taking off while waiting for your ambulance.

There's an odd quirk with the GPX files, which has added a loop back to Church Minshull.  There's obviously some fault in the space time continuum around Church Minshull, which explains why we seem to go through CM a dozen times or more each year on Audax rides.  I think I've fixed the GPX files now, but for some reason I've been unable to fix the RideWithGPS map on the Peak Audax website.  However, the fault is obvious and only an idiot would be led astray by the technology, and I don't think we have anyone matching that description out on Sunday.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #14 on: 10 November, 2017, 12:21:48 pm »
I'm in! looks like it may be a wet first half then sunshine for the afternoon and a wee bit chilly for the return to Cheadle. Well, that's the forecast from Weatherbagel. Others are available.  :P

http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/661eba38-356e-4530-94e9-8f776035f9fb

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #15 on: 10 November, 2017, 05:10:18 pm »
Shameless Advert---if you enjoyed this event you are likely to enjoy the 200k "Eureka Excursion" which follows a similar course (but adds Ellesmere and avoids Wilmslow area); start and finish at Eureka Cafe on the Wirral (Lots of free parking) on Saturday April 21 2018.
A perfect early season 200k!
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #16 on: 10 November, 2017, 05:35:59 pm »
Riders , i have ridden both events and there should be no diversions at all , we have major road works on the Safari at 7 km the road is passible with care, caution on the down hill 8 km as you WILL HAVE TO STOP at the bottom single file staggard gap through barrier
Eureka @ 171 km go through road closed sign again with caution there is a 1.5 M wide bridle path under the bridge , i rode this on the 3rd November did not know about the way through an fell on my a$%e ! climbinhg out of Roughwood hollow.
Hope all riders have a good safe event
See you on Sunday  . 

« Reply #17 on: 10 November, 2017, 08:57:18 pm »
I'm going to miss this for the first time in 4 years after an operation in September - not allowed anywhere near a bike until next weekend.

For anyone riding I hope you enjoy the event. Instead I'm going to the Track finals in Manchester with my 13yo, who would have been riding this with me if I was mobile.

« Reply #18 on: 10 November, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »
I'm in, it's the 2nd instalment of my RRTY

« Reply #19 on: 10 November, 2017, 11:12:22 pm »
I'm in!

There's obviously some fault in the space time continuum around Church Minshull

I can concur, I live about 2.5 miles away
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire