Author Topic: First ride since ......  (Read 826 times)

Nightfly

First ride since ......
« on: 22 March, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »
...... the off.

(I did mean to post this before I got het up over the Death by dangerous or reckless cycling thread).

Anyway I have been trying to get back on my bike since the off, but unfortunately it is still unreplaced and frankly I am still so scared of being knocked down again. This off was the second you see.

Anyway last night was pretty mild, winds were really light and most importantly the roads were totally empty of traffic. I ummed and arghhhed for some time about the pros and cons of being killed by a speeding drunk driver riding so late at night. Getting dressed up in different clothing to that in which I was knocked down, heart pounding, butteflies and getting into really quite a state I eventually started turning the pedals and cycled into the darkness at 1.15am. I planned to do a quick 10 miles........ on my Brompton, not ideal, but no other choice. Illuminating and protecting my rear I have three RSP Astrium 2 x0.5 W rear lights which together are briiiight! The front light is a new Exposure Max Daddy Mk3 - mega bright, night becomes day sort of bright with 2 Smart 35Lux lights in support. Ba$tard motons can't claim not to see me now!

I rode, well puffed and wheezed for about 90 minutes around the local rural roads covering about 20 miles. I saw three cars driving around in this time, two actually passed me, but I had already got off the road just in case as I saw their headlights approach so got out of harms way. I was surprised how so unfit I have become. 2 months off a bike has taken it's toll. I was really struggling at one point, changing down to the lowest where I would normally fly up the small hill. Anyway I got home at about 2:45am feeling pleased with myself for finally going out. All was completely still not a sound except birdsong. I couldn't contemplate riding with traffic around - too scary. My legs were killing me this morning. Same thing again tonight if I can stay awake. Riding at night is great as there are very few/no cars to run you down.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: First ride since ......
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
Glad you got out there.  It can be hard to do.
Getting there...

Re: First ride since ......
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:26:40 pm »
Keep going.

I particularly like cycling late at night.
The journey is always more important than the destination