Author Topic: Cheam and Morden Hilly 50, March 5th (in the Surrey Hills)  (Read 41090 times)

Re: Cheam and Morden Hilly 50, March 5th (in the Surrey Hills)
« Reply #200 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:54:04 pm »
I have to say I enjoyed that, in a perverse kind of way.   Managed to stay aboard the Galaxy all the way, courtesy of my insanely low gears.  Finished in about 3h05, which I thought wasnt bad considering the pathetically small mileage I've covered this year, and I wasnt really "pushing on" as I wanted to save a bit in the legs for tomorrows "Upper Tea 100"

Nice to meet TimO and Frank again, and a few others whose names I don't recall , and a big Well done to Kim & Rower - I saw you patiently plugging away up Box Hil with big smile on your faces as I headed back down to Ryka's.

Followed by a very enjoyable hour and a half in Corridori with Paul Smith, confirming what the next bike will be (when I can afford it).    What a fantastic bloke Paul is, so knowledgeable and helpful.

« Reply #201 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:59:01 pm »
I rode down to the start, 25 mile in 1hr:50min where I had coffee, orange juice and a bacon bap in the company of Tim Hall and Jurek. Gradually everyone arrived.

Set off at 10am with Brian, Jurek, Tim, TimO and others. Unfortunately I seem to have dropped everyone on the decent into Dorking. Brian caught me on Cold harbor lane and we rode the rest of the route together without consulting a map. We gradually accumulated a group round us as we swept up quicks who didn't know the way, they disappeared up the hills and we caught them at the next junction or on the decents. The only times I struggled where the drag up Sheer road and White down, where I admit to taking a few breathers. We finished in ~2:30 hours. Far quicker than last year and proving the value of eating properly and not assisting with any mechanicals.

I then stood around at the top waiting for the various other forumers to arrive, Manotea and Hulver came round on fixies  :o Jurek, Tim Tim and Scott arrived together and then the Tandems of the Pikes and Rower40 and Kim arrived.

We then retired to a pub in Leatherhead. Finally I rode the 30km home from Leatherhead in 1hr 10min !! Having given an ETA of 1hr:30.

« Reply #202 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:59:57 pm »

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #203 on: 05 March, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »
Hmm. I thought it looked odd. Try now.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #204 on: 05 March, 2011, 07:05:36 pm »
Hmm. I thought it looked odd. Try now.

Happy pics  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #205 on: 05 March, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »
Well, that was fun, in a sadomasochistic sort of way.   ;)

So, my cunning plan of providing rower40 with good train karma by bringing a freshly-fettled spare bike worked perfectly, and we successfully rendezvoused at Euston and made short work of the ride over to Victoria to catch the Box Hill Express with about 5000 other cyclists.  We felt a bit out of place amongst all the blingy lightweight road bikes, until TimO joined us with his reassuringly muddy Kaffenback :)

With a saddle-swap and luggage redistribution effort, and the application of several tonnes of locks that nobody wanted to carry all the way round to my bike, the tandem was ready to go.  We did a couple of laps of the car park without killing anyone to prove it, then made use of the excellent bacon bap and significantly less-than-excellent toilet facilities before setting off.

My only previous tandem-stoking experience was a couple of laps of Hyde Park Corner with wheeledweenie (occasionally of this parish), so obviously it made total sense to choose this ride to have a proper go at it.  It made even more sense to do it on a heavy, over-geared bike with flat bars that I suspect may have been forged in the fires of hell.  And plenty of luggage (we had redundant tool kits etc).

(we evidently missed a D-lock)

In spite of all this, it went rather well.  We were never going to be fast - the main objective was to get round without killing anything, especially my knee.  My GPS log says we did the route in just under 4 hours.  That included several stops for fettling (mostly my seatpost height, but for bonus comedy points I did manage to clamp my glove in the Garmin bracket while adjusting its angle and then fail to loosen it off without assistance), a couple of drawn-out bonk-ration breaks and a bit of cramp-relieving.  So I'm not sure exactly how much of that we were moving for.

While we did manage to ride the vast majority of the climbs, the now legendary '24" gear' put in a few appearances, mainly on account of cramp, but also because we just plain ran out of gears on a couple of the really nasty bits:

I was very good and didn't scream on any of the descents, even the ones with full Alton-Towers style unexpected (from the back seat at least) dips.  During the odd hairy moments I opted for closing my eyes rather than steering the bike or going for the somewhat tempting third brake.  I believe rower40 was employing a similar strategy at the front  :P

It was noted that we should have brought a false beard so that rower40 could do a more convincing Wowbagger impersonation.  It was also noted that that would probably involve still being in the pub for lunch.

The actual pub came later, after deciding that it was far too cold to be hanging around outside when pubs are warm and tend to serve salty food and beer and so on.  We returned to Ryka's and collected my bike (which hadn't been even a little bit nicked), then a speedy ride up the A24, during which I discovered my bike had weird floppy-about handlebars that moved.  It was a surprisingly large degree of brainfuck given how little falling-off it caused.  We safely arrived at the pub, deployed our many, many locks, and got to the important business of beer, twitter, and chevron-counting[1]:

After a couple of hours of that, rower40 and I made a break for the train to London, which we'd left it a bit late for.  He'd sensibly opted to join me on my booked train to Mordor Central, on the basis that the tandem would fit in the Pendolino without too much fuss, compared to the distinctly marginal effort of the East Midland HST.  After a quick (for people on heavy bikes who've just completed this sort of insanity) sprint up to Euston, we were able to confirm that this was indeed the case.

I last saw rower40 in the bowels of Mordor, in search of a tandem-friendly train to Derby.

A surprisingly fast, if slightly damp, ride home and I was reunited with such simple pleasures as curry, a reasonably hot shower, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.  For my back (which suffered from the bar position) more than my knee(s) - which appear to both still be working, in spite of fairly epic amounts of grinding.   :thumbsup:

At 85km and 1271m total of climbing, that's my first 'proper' ride this year.  It was great to see people for what felt like the first time in ages, and even better to think that I might well be able to do more rides in future without actually breaking myself.

Many thanks to rower40 for having the idea in the first place, and to Kathy and Tim for providing moral support at our fairly tectonic pace.

[1] I make it seven singles, one double, and one downhill chevron.  Assuming downhill ones are negative, that adds up to seven: making the route a stargate.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #206 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:05:26 pm »
\o/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #207 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:26:13 pm »
Well done! Glad you made it round. Now, Rower40 needs to stop shaving. :demon:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #208 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:26:27 pm »

_Attenborough voice_  the Kim slowly sneaks up on her prey, then pounces without mercy, the saddle is defenceless... _Attenborough voice...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #209 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »
It was either that or Steve Irwin...  "You're alright...you're alright...you're alright.....Woah! This seatpost's a bit feisty!"

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #210 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:58:05 pm »
^ Wot she said ^
mmm, pub.
Once I was safely on a 2-car X-country class 170, where the bike-space is ample for a phenomenally-heavy tandem, with brakes zip-tied so that the bike didn't land in a fellow-passenger's lap as soon as the train started moving, I used modern txt-comms to arrange a pub visit on my arrival back in Derby.

I'm home now. :-[ :-[

It may be that we were a bit between "baptism of fire" and "bitten off more than we could chew" for our first tandem outing.  So special gratitude to Tim & Kathy Pike for nursemaiding us round the 35 "What Could Possibly Go Wrong" miles.

I think we had the heaviest ensemble to winch/walk itself around the circuit; most, if not all, of that attributable to my real ale habit.  Very major respect to Kim for not killing me for my awful communication skillz, crunching gear changes and wholesale lack of forethought.  And specifically for my near-total physiological collapse in the last climb up Box Hill, where we would probably have gone faster if the timing chain had been absent.

Some, but not all, of the climbs succumbed to the "alternate leg" treatment; Kim would apply power with her left leg, and I'd focus on the right.

Our other synchronisation difficulty occurred because I start with my left leg on the ground and the right foot on the pedal, and Kim prefers the other way round.  Not a murmur of complaint - so much so that I didn't realise that our starting procedure was totally alien to her.

Thanks to all the other forummers who gave us words of encouragement and advice.  *Waves to everyone who was there* Sorry that I'm genetically programmed not to remember names and faces.

Wow - thanks (I think) for seeding such a hare-brained idea in our heads.  We finished in front of one or two of the kids from the Sutton cycling club, but only because they'd stopped for punctures.  Apart from that, we were, AFAIK, bringing up the rear.

Next Year...
Kim will be downhilling these optical illusions on her Streetmachine with a "Yee-haaaah", and I'll have re-acquired the rowing bug.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #211 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:26:58 am »
Yay, a picture to prove that I was there. ;D

It was a fine cycle, and I'm tempted to do it again, preferably after getting in more cycling than I have done so far this year, which is bugger all, vs the 1000+ miles I'd done at this point last year.

I didn't actually require use of my 24" gear at any point, although on the last couple of climbs (a stupidly steep one, and Box Hill that isn't all that steep, just a bit dispiriting at that point) I did stop for a couple of thirty second breathers!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #212 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
Thanks to all the other forummers who gave us words of encouragement and advice.  *Waves to everyone who was there* Sorry that I'm genetically programmed not to remember names and faces.

I was the one in motorbike leathers  ;D ;D ;D

HTH

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #213 on: 06 March, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »
Wow, I'm feeling it in the morning.  My back/shoulders/elbows ache and my wrists are making interesting crunching noises.

Some, but not all, of the climbs succumbed to the "alternate leg" treatment; Kim would apply power with her left leg, and I'd focus on the right.

That worked surprisingly well, I thought.

Our other synchronisation difficulty occurred because I start with my left leg on the ground and the right foot on the pedal, and Kim prefers the other way round.  Not a murmur of complaint - so much so that I didn't realise that our starting procedure was totally alien to her.

It's not *totally* alien.  It's how I always used to do it when I was a kid.  It's also the only way barakta and I can get the tandem to work, as her arm length difference means she has to start off in the saddle with the bike leaning to the left.

When I got back into cycling a few years back, I rapidly discovered that my right knee didn't like it very much, and made a conscious choice to learn to do it the other way round.  While I still prefer to start on the left (it works slightly better, especially on the SMGT where the combination of typical road camber and my right leg being that little bit longer makes for better stability when putting my right foot down), my tolerance for high torque on the right has massively improved through a few years of cycling and clipless pedals.

Next Year...
Kim will be downhilling these optical illusions on her Streetmachine with a "Yee-haaaah", and I'll have re-acquired the rowing bug.

It'll be worth it entirely for the "You're doing this on a recumbent?!?!" "Yeah, I reckoned it'll make the climbs a bit easier" factor.   :D

« Reply #214 on: 06 March, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »
There's something to be said for doing it on a recumbent tricycle, since you can't really beat a trike for going glacially slow if necessary. ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #215 on: 06 March, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »
There's something to be said for doing it on a recumbent tricycle, since you can't really beat a trike for going glacially slow if necessary. ;D
Thanks for the advice.  Would you mind terribly if I decline?  My Windcheetah would rather stay in the (totally flat) Peak District.  The trauma of getting a tandem down south on the trains would be a picnic compared with getting the trike there.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #216 on: 06 March, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »
I too am feeling very stiff and achey this morning. The roller-coaster sections, such as the downhill from Coldharbour Lane which drops at a steady 9.8m/s/s so that a tandem stoker is in a mile of free-fall, bottom only contacting the saddle on the more vicious potholes, are particularly hard on the shoulders.

Fortunately I pre-booked an appointment at the shoulder clinic tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

I was extremely impressed at Rowan and Kim's efforts. I know that I would have been daunted by the prospect of even a more gentle route with a novel bike and an unfamiliar tandem partner, so to do all those climbs and descents was quite something! Of course, we felt obliged to keep them company - I'm sure that if they hadn't been there then we would have skipped around the course in sub-two-hours.  ::-) ;)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #217 on: 06 March, 2011, 02:01:30 pm »
Incidentally did anyone else notice the gravitational anomaly near the Mullard Space Science Laboratory?  That's how the Sutton CC kids were able to get ahead of us...

« Reply #218 on: 06 March, 2011, 02:46:38 pm »
I tend to mutter expletives under my breath when anywhere near MSSL anyway.  They may not be our natural direct competitors, since they've recently been involved with things like electron instruments, and we build magnetometers, but we can be competing against them for funding.

We also beat them at bowls in China, during Double Star commissioning. :thumbsup: ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #219 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:43:57 pm »
How many of the Sutton lads were there?
Getting there...

« Reply #220 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:47:47 pm »

I wasn't counting - but at least six, maybe more ...

« Reply #221 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:49:12 pm »
You are in luck! I have done the semi-annual sorting and tagging of photos (the backlog went as far back as last August :-[ ) which means some photos of this event are available before the end of the year!  :thumbsup:

Some of the scenery was remarkably pretty, and worth taking slowly to fully appreciate:

Kim and Rowan, triumphant at the top of White Down Hill...

...before stopping to look for their lungs!

Mr Pike, modelling his stylish new overpriced pretentious **** hat.  ;D

Kim, distraught to learn that the Surrey Hills have areas with insufficient 3G signal for Tweeting:

Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #222 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »

Good turnout, then.  I thought it might just have been a couple of them. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #223 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:55:47 pm »

Good turnout, then.  I thought it might just have been a couple of them. :)

Nope, definitely more than that...  maybe more than the six or so that I saw.

« Reply #224 on: 06 March, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »
Mr Pike, modelling his stylish new overpriced pretentious **** hat.  ;D

I considered wearing my pretentious ... overpriced ... new Yehuda Moon cap, but decided my hair would stick out stupidly, since I'm overdue for a haircut by about two months. ;D