Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105154 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #200 on: 17 August, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »
Does that sound reasonable?

Or would that be no, dumb, stupid idea, don't do it. You'd suffer
immensely?

I don't understand - you seem to be suggesting that these two options are in some way mutually exclusive.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #201 on: 17 August, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of a Cambrian series weekend sometime in Sep consisting of:

Train London Paddington to Bristol Parkway. Roll down to Severn view Travelodge, arriving
Friday evening.

Then on Sat get up 4 am. Do 3A picking Chepstow as start (obviously). Finish in time to go to sleep
at the Travelodge at midnight-ish.

Then get up Sun at 5 am. Do the 2B, once again picking Chepstow as start (obviously). Finish in time
to catch a train back to London from Parkway at around 8 pm.

Does that sound reasonable? Or would that be no, dumb, stupid idea, don't do it. You'd suffer
immensely?

Well only you know your own capabilities so it's a hard one to answer.

But... It just so happens those are the two rides in this series I've done (from Chepstow) Both are very very tough - be not unaware of this. But that's coming from a big boned chap with poor climbing ability.

Several people are doubling up the élan and ystwyth and Tregaron dragon this weekend and that's possibly tougher.

I just bumped into Swiss Hat in Tregaron - he's 500k into the 8A as I write! Nice to meet you sir and good luck with the rest.  Sadly I am bailing the Tregaron dragon.got nasty cramps in both thighs whils WALKING the Devils Staircase - to much wind and icy rain did for my legs. :(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #202 on: 17 August, 2014, 03:47:51 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of a Cambrian series weekend sometime in Sep consisting of:

Train London Paddington to Bristol Parkway. Roll down to Severn view Travelodge, arriving
Friday evening.

Then on Sat get up 4 am. Do 3A picking Chepstow as start (obviously). Finish in time to go to sleep
at the Travelodge at midnight-ish.

Then get up Sun at 5 am. Do the 2B, once again picking Chepstow as start (obviously). Finish in time
to catch a train back to London from Parkway at around 8 pm.

Does that sound reasonable? Or would that be no, dumb, stupid idea, don't do it. You'd suffer
immensely?
Sounds to me like riding very hilly 500k in the same time as a 600 (I.e.40 hours). So if you usually get time for a good sleep on a normal 600, it sounds perfectly sensible.

(If it was me I'd book a later train, or at least budget for the walk-up fare.)

If you have a mare on Sat - perhaps a 3am finish! - you can have a lie-in and just do a pretty 80 miles on Sun
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

caerau

« Reply #203 on: 17 August, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »
There's a 24 hour garage at the chepstow end of the Bulwark - used it as start and finish control on the CS3A at 2 am (start time) last year.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.635737,-2.684382,3a,75y,78.91h,94.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shAOezvONpxQ3KFmDqopfaw!2e0

« Reply #204 on: 17 August, 2014, 09:57:31 pm »
The 3A is a hard ride.  I did it as my final training outing for the last PBP and the French ride was a piece of piss as a result.  I'd suggest a good nights sleep the night before and get your first stamp at Budgens on the junction of the A466 and B4235 in Chepstow at 7 am.  You can get nice munchies there too.

2B is a classic also and much easier comparatively, although not without its moments. 

caerau

« Reply #205 on: 18 August, 2014, 08:35:41 am »
Yeah I finished the 2b at that budgens - also a good shout but unlikely to be open at 3am

« Reply #206 on: 20 August, 2014, 06:00:38 pm »
I've just added a piece on my C8A outing last weekend in the ride reports. Legs are still talking to me!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #207 on: 20 August, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
I will read that when I get back home - massive chapeau though! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #208 on: 22 August, 2014, 09:48:43 am »
Wow, that makes me feel rather better about last years ride.  I didn't realise I was one of only 6 who've done the 3A

I find that rather hard to believe in fact - presumably more people did it before you took them over...?

I've kept a log of the entries and completions from when I started, before then I would have to trail through the Audax archives on the website to see completions.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #209 on: 31 August, 2014, 10:28:47 pm »
So.... Feeling inspired by this thread, I'm starting to plan a ride in mid-September, would want to start at Chepstow - Which leaves me with 3 questions:

1) which is the best option for a 200 that goes through Chepstow?
2) where do people normally park on the other side of the bridge to avoid paying the toll? :)
3) I assume I'm not too late to get a brevet with, say, 10 days notice?  :-\

Now, if only I could have learnt how to climb bastard hills by now... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ta!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #210 on: 01 September, 2014, 07:58:42 pm »
The 2B is the only 200 with a Chepstow control (Monmouth - Chepstow - Abergavenny - Brecon - Builth Wells - Hay-on-Wye - Monmouth) but you can start the series from any control town.

If you get an entry in by this weekend I can get you a brevet card in time for the middle weekend - after that it really depends on how my work pans out and whether I'm at home to post cards to you.

Not sure about car parking as the Severn View services I think operate a two hour parking scheme.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

caerau

« Reply #211 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:35:24 pm »
If you're travelling from Abingdon, I doubt the distance is much different if you cross over the Severn (for 'free') at Gloucester and come down to Chepstow from there

« Reply #212 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:57:41 pm »
Best place to park for cycling in Wales without paying the Wales Tax is to take the M48 from the M4 towards the old Severn Bridge and come of at the junction just before the bridge for Severn View services. At the end of the sliproad take a left towards Avonmouth and then take a right turn into a lane. There is parking available there to leave your car for a day on the road. You can then get on the bridge easily.

Most people do this for the Gospel Pass audax in February.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #213 on: 01 September, 2014, 10:56:36 pm »
If you're travelling from Abingdon, I doubt the distance is much different if you cross over the Severn (for 'free') at Gloucester and come down to Chepstow from there

If you cross at Gloucester you might as well head along the A40 to Monmouth. 

From there you can do the 2B as before, but also the 2A Monmouth - Hay - Llandrindod Wells - Llanwrtyd Wells - Brecon - Abergavenny - Monmouth.  (one of my favourite rides, especially if you go through Painscastle and Hundred House on the Hay to Llandod leg.

« Reply #214 on: 02 September, 2014, 08:23:29 am »
Thanks, the closest I've been to that area is The Dean 300, and the Faffers 400, so I was struggling to spot which ones may be closest for me (from oxford way).   Both 2a and 2b sound good, I may as well do them in order so will go for the 2a this time :)

PayPal payment will be on the way later this morning  :thumbsup:

especially if you go through Painscastle and Hundred House on the Hay to Llandod leg.

The place names mean nothing to me, google maps here I come!   Need to also look up thread to see if anybody has a gpx file for the 2a to help get my bearings!

« Reply #215 on: 02 September, 2014, 08:56:18 am »
payment made, 12 days to the 2a  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #216 on: 02 September, 2014, 09:08:52 am »
Whole heartedly recommend the 2a, as CET says, it's a fantastic ride  :thumbsup:

Free parking in Monmouth too, over the otherside of the old bridge
Does not play well with others

Bugloss

« Reply #217 on: 02 September, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »
I've just added a piece on my C8A outing last weekend in the ride reports. Legs are still talking to me!

Can you provide a link to this ?

« Reply #218 on: 02 September, 2014, 01:42:41 pm »

Can you provide a link to this ?

Currently the third thread in, um, the Ride Reports board.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #219 on: 02 September, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »
Reached a milestone today, the 250th entry for a Cambrian series ride since I took them over.  6 entries from 3 riders today takes the total entries past the 50 mark for this season - a first for me (and I think for the series).

I'm guessing that news on the forum and Paypal entries have contributed to the increase in take-up.   I only wish I had more time so I could do more of the rides.

« Reply #220 on: 02 September, 2014, 05:42:18 pm »
Reached a milestone today, the 250th entry for a Cambrian series ride since I took them over.  6 entries from 3 riders today takes the total entries past the 50 mark for this season - a first for me (and I think for the series).

I'm guessing that news on the forum and Paypal entries have contributed to the increase in take-up.   I only wish I had more time so I could do more of the rides.

:thumbsup:

Although a real shame you can't get to ride them yourself.  That seems most cruel.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #221 on: 02 September, 2014, 06:56:49 pm »
Its partly because I've entered a silly running race in December so that's blown my big cycling opportunities for the rest of the year.  But I did manage to get out for a sneaky trip to Beachy Head from our caravan in Selsey on Sunday morning.  3.30am start.  99.8 miles before a stonking big breakfast in Brighton (2 sausage, 2 bacon 2 black pudding 2 bread 1 egg baked beans and the best hash browns I've ever tasted plus two large mugs of tea £8.35 within a stone's throw of Brighton pier and then a nice little headwind bash back to the caravan for 11.30.  All that lovely form and no Audax points. 

« Reply #222 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:02:31 am »
Not a Cambrian excatly but am planning a DIY-GPS  Bwlch Y Groes x 3 this Friday   ;D

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5942042

any takers ????  about 9:30 start on A470 near mallwyd, hardest side first off....... :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #223 on: 08 September, 2014, 10:02:39 am »
Not a Cambrian excatly but am planning a DIY-GPS  Bwlch Y Groes x 3 this Friday   ;D

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5942042

any takers ????  about 9:30 start on A470 near mallwyd, hardest side first off....... :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I shall be surveying a massive steelworks. However, I may just jump in the furnace a few times to replicate the pain you'll be going through.  :P

« Reply #224 on: 08 September, 2014, 10:16:41 am »
I thought you, Jamesbradnor, CET, and select others, floated up thousands of metres without going through any significant pain at all!