Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 473084 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4900 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:38:10 am »
I received a text from my gp practice inviting me to submit blood pressure readings.
They informed me that they have a machine in there that 'robotically' does it for you.

It is a very simple process. I took three readings and they were all different.

No1: 149/93 hr 59
No2: 142/92 hr 60
No3: 138/85 hr 58

I returned home, replied to the text and submitted reading no:3.
Yesterday I received another text from the gp surgery, apologising for sending out the original
text (to hundreds of people), as it was done in error. :-D

« Reply #4901 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:06:37 pm »
Some of the woo behind the ZOE stuff being questioned. I think Spector means well, but that is a business monetising health (s)care founded by an “entrepreneur”. IMO of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68452019
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4902 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:27:01 pm »
Some of the woo behind the ZOE stuff being questioned. I think Spector means well, but that is a business monetising health (s)care founded by an “entrepreneur”. IMO of course.

I think most people that have done the Zoe thing, at least those I know personally, use it as a learning exercise and take what they can from it without seeing it as being definitive about what they should or should not eat. Personally I found it useful, a nudge to more fully accept things that I knew anyway but wasn’t really acting on.

My big issue with Zoe, and a big weakness that leaves it rightly vulnerable to criticism, is that the plan does not include a repeat of the initial blood and stool tests. So there is no way to determine the effect of any change one might have made. Another criticism is that when your “membership” ends, you lose access to your food scores. Why should you lose access to that for failing to keep paying?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4903 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:40:17 pm »

That's them off my Christmas-card list. What'll they push next, jade eggs or hydroxychloroquine?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4904 on: 16 March, 2024, 02:58:18 pm »

I think most people that have done the Zoe thing, at least those I know personally, use it as a learning exercise and take what they can from it without seeing it as being definitive about what they should or should not eat.

Marketing. Band Wagons. And You Tube. And it's a powerful combination. For those that have type 2 diabetes, then I'm sure there are many that are happy to pay for it. For those that don't....

What I really resent, is the language of some of the adverts on You Tube. There is one in particular where your main man talks [before I can skip it] about how porridge for breakfast was spiking his blood sugar so he switched to kefir and berries. Ok fine - his choice. But there is an implication, an infference, in this use of language that porridge can spike your blood sugar, so it might be best avoided. Really? It spikes my blood sugar? So fucking what? And how much damage is that going to inflict? Jesus. Have I now got to be conscious of and worry about a hefty dose of insulin circulating in the bloodstream, for a short time? I won't be binning my oats matey boy!!! Are you telling me that the aim of dietary intake is to eat low glycaemic food........ALL the time? Good luck with that [on PBP lol].

Your body is an extraordinary thing. And the moral of the story is: don't abuse it.....ALL of the time!!! [Just now and again!] If you pummel it with a lorry load of processed, simple, refined carbohydrate, with little else, then it's highly likely that you're you're going to get problems - all kinds of problems. But I think we're all so vulnerable to getting pulled into these things - thinking there is an answer, a road to the promised land, a health nirvana, to the issues of a disgruntled life. Kind of.

I wouldn't normally respond to these lind of threads, but those adverts really wind me up......and that's my issue :-)
Garry Broad

« Reply #4905 on: 16 March, 2024, 04:16:47 pm »
but those adverts really wind me up......and that's my issue :-)

It sounds very much as though bringing these kinds of tensions into your lifestyle may be placing you at risk of high blood pressure - I think you could really benefit from my latest range of miracle cures.

If you'd like to know more, please call on 0898 #£%{no-carrier}

« Reply #4906 on: 16 March, 2024, 05:34:32 pm »
What I really resent, is the language of some of the adverts on You Tube.

I have never seen any of them. I came across Zoe as I had been mildly interested in Tim Spector and the COVID symptom app. I regard the whole Zoe thing as a source of reports / articles / thoughts that I then explore myself elsewhere. I think it is all well intended, interesting, and occasionally throws up advice which I think seems reasonable.

I find that many of his podcasts are rather poor. I read the transcripts rather than listen to the podcasts, which is a good way of seeing just how much of the podcast is waffle and chat. The proportion often approaches 100%, only at the very end might you come across a useful source of evidence.

That doesn’t change my view of the Zoe programme itself, the app, or the insights into my diet.

« Reply #4907 on: 20 March, 2024, 10:46:56 am »
Today's visit to the hospital was to test remove the catheter. I felt constipated and the doctor said they would rebook me for the test next Wednesday. 15 minutes later and the bowel opened  ::-) home by taxi £30 .
Now I have to do it all again next week  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4908 on: 21 March, 2024, 08:48:36 am »
Another night on a trolley in wexham hospital. Severe wind in the lower stomach with most discomfort on the right side led the 111 gp to suscept  appendicitis  :o. So to the hospital I go and this morning I'm told constipated..back home now with a new laxative to try  ::-)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4909 on: 21 March, 2024, 08:50:59 am »
 :facepalm:

Save the NHS - send more trolleys.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4910 on: 21 March, 2024, 04:12:00 pm »
Are you taking opiate meds Cycleman (codeine, codydramol, morphine)? I sometimes think they don't give enough laxatives quickly enough with these from recent painful experience (fortunately not as bad as yours).

Also as someone with a spinal injury even incomplete like yours, you may be more prone to guts issues cos of poor feedback between gut and the rest of your body.

Hope new laxatives help. It may be worth asking for a meds review with GP to see if any meds aren't helping or ways you can manage it, cos constipation is (badoom tish) shit.

« Reply #4911 on: 22 March, 2024, 01:29:11 pm »
I'm just at the doctors and he says that I have a urine infection and checking my blood pressure which is normally around 130 is currently between 77 and 90 .he's called a ambulance for me. I I'm not taking painkillers at this time but do have a variety available at home. Before the doctor checked my blood pressure he was prescribed antibiotics and anti fungal. He also said that I needed to take 2 movicol a day as well as lactose syrup 2 a day..I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever recover 🤔.. I am I know prone to thinking the worst and making myself depressed but I cannot see the end of the tunnel at present and when I do it will probably be a train coming the other way  ::-)

« Reply #4912 on: 22 March, 2024, 01:45:47 pm »
This sounds sub-optimal Chris.  Hospital again ?  They'll be inviting you to their Christmas do at this rate !   

Hope they can sort you out & get you home asap.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4913 on: 22 March, 2024, 02:03:49 pm »
UTIs can have general awful effects, on you state of mind, not just physical (one dragging down the other).
Fingers crossed they can sort it quickly, so you can start to recover.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #4914 on: 22 March, 2024, 03:09:23 pm »
Glad doc has checked you out, urine infections can affect so much. Hopefully if you can get all that laxo-stuff into you and survive the antibiotics things will clear up and improve for you soon. May not be as quick as we'd like, but This Too Shall Pass.

« Reply #4915 on: 22 March, 2024, 03:27:04 pm »
UTIs can have general awful effects, on you state of mind, not just physical (one dragging down the other).
Fingers crossed they can sort it quickly, so you can start to recover.

Agreed, it was scary how well my Gran's dementia correlated with UTIs. It was as if the energy needed by the body to fight that infection was taken directly from her mental capacity.

Chris, if you find yourself needing another early morning lift to Heatherwood do reach out and ask. I'll try not to commit to travelling into london on the same day and also to set off 15 minutes earlier next time.

« Reply #4916 on: 22 March, 2024, 03:54:15 pm »
And the ambulance turned up and they did all the checks and my blood pressure was 134. Result they spoke to the doctor and have got him to send the prescription to the chemist. They then very kindly gave me a lift home 🏡. Liz has just gone out to pick up the prescription and I have just taken another movicol.
Matthew that's all very kind offer which I am happy to accept. The doctor at heatherwood hospital said Wednesday 0845 but I have received a email saying Thursday 0845. I will chase them up on Monday and let you know   :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4917 on: 22 March, 2024, 04:30:13 pm »
Hoping the antibiotics kick in ASAP!

I suspect your GP was worried you might have sepsis, lowering your BP but was reassured when it bounced back.

A full bladder or rectum can addle the brain (as I’ve posted on the AUK forum and elsewhere, rather frequently) and also lower the pulse and blood pressure by stimulating the vagus nerve.

You hardly need me to tell you to try to keep these as empty as possible for maximal well-being!

Unfortunately this is MUCH more easily said than done!

Hope this is all sorted quickly!

Get Well Soon!

« Reply #4918 on: 22 March, 2024, 05:11:59 pm »
I didn't realise about the spinal injury and know nothing about your status.  In my experience spinal injuries units have pretty much an open door to seeing ex-patients.  Might be worth getting in touch if you had treatment in the past.  Many problems occur later due to spinal injury.
https://spinal.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SIA_Bowel_Management_2_Factsheet_v2.pdf

If I have read too much into a chance comment not knowing you in person please forgive me and blame the internet :) :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4919 on: 22 March, 2024, 05:20:35 pm »
Sounds vile, Chris (cycleman).  Hope you get it resolved soon.

« Reply #4920 on: 23 March, 2024, 09:03:07 am »
Very small bowel movement this morning but the day is still young.  Many thanks everyone your support does help me  :)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4921 on: 23 March, 2024, 02:05:27 pm »
... This Too Shall Pass.

Very small bowel movement this morning but the day is still young.  Many thanks everyone your support does help me  :)

(Meant with kind good humour)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

barakta

« Reply #4922 on: 23 March, 2024, 04:44:55 pm »
 ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4923 on: 23 March, 2024, 10:03:43 pm »
All this talk about Number 2's reminds me I better get a repeat prescription of Laxido.  :facepalm:

You'd have thought GP would have been a bit concerned, about my needing continual courses of Laxido (once daily), especially giving my history of a twisted bowel in 2019 (which they thought was IBS)

But no, they'd rather just palm my bowels off with "Laxido orange powder for oral solution".  :facepalm:

barakta

« Reply #4924 on: 23 March, 2024, 10:25:35 pm »
Shame it's dodgy to share unneeded meds, I've got a metric tonne of Laxido which I didn't need after the last surgery cos I stopped the morphine cos I didn't want impaction again and hospital hadn't given me laxido for the first 24 hours (the prescribing was a total mess).