Author Topic: PBP 1999 The final installment, why bother? Part 13  (Read 154378 times)

librarian

• Quiet please
PBP 1999 The final installment, why bother? Part 13
« on: 26 August, 2008, 08:19:17 pm »

PBP 2007 was a bit crowded, more than 5,000 started, to be whittled down to 3,500 by terrible weather conditions.

Concern has been expressed that too many people want to do it. It has been suggested that the qualification
events should be stiffened up, faster times required or a 1,000 km to be ridden. My suggestion; a written paper.
What all the riders have in common is a desire to be tested and a belief that it is mental as well as physical
strength that will get them through. A combination of the history of the PBP, geography of the region, a little French language and an essay question. Hold it in the village hall prior to the start of the 400, they’d lap it up I tell you.

Kind of like a citizenship test for would-be anciens?

1. Name four different products that, in a pinch, can be used to relieve the symptoms of saddle soreness.

2. Which of the following foodstuffs has the higher calorific content per plate; beans on toast or sponge and custard?

3. How far can the average randonneur ride on the energy supplied by one Ginsters pasty?

4. Describe in 500 words or less, why people not fitting mudflaps ought to be burned at the stake, using XR3i drivers for kindling.

5. Name the main ingredient of Proofide.

6. If I have a front sprocket with 42 teeth and a rear on 17, what size gear am I pushing on 28c tyres?  Bonus points for mentioning "development".

7. Can there ever be an excuse for letting down the tyres of a fellow randonneur?  Discuss.

8. What is the minimum number of pairs of shorts needed to complete a 1200k brevet in comfort?

9. Name three cafes in the UK that serve parkin and custard.

10. In 1500 words or less, explain why it is that you'd be quite happy to spend the fortnight after PBP walking like you've just been vasectomised (female entrants may substitute the analogy of childbirth).