Author Topic: Couple of tandem questions  (Read 4449 times)

Couple of tandem questions
« on: 11 November, 2011, 09:58:15 am »
1. Small pilot, big stoker. What are the options for this combination?
2. Best places to buy a tandem from, considering question 1.
Tia

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Couple of tandem questions
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:01:43 am »
2. JD Cycles, Gargrave
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:09:52 am »
2. JD Cycles, Gargrave

Agreed. Ask to speak to Ruth.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:12:02 am »
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:15:05 am »
Ring

http://www.longstaffcycles.com/

Knowing what sie the captain & stoker are.Give them the info & ask if they have any pre-loved machines in stock.

They do "do" 2nd hand but have a low profile approach to the issue.You could get a quality tandem at a very reasonable price.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:40:12 am »
Friends of mine are similarly sized. They've  got a brace of tandems. One is, I think, a custom build from Roberts, whilst the other is an off the peg job made to fit with extension bits at the back, IYSWIM.

Of course another approach is to get a Pino.

Wherabouts are you?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2011, 11:46:42 am »
Roberts have recently built just such a tandem for friends of mine.

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:45:10 pm »
Re 1. We have a Circe Helios. I've ridden as stoker (6'2, ~70kg) with a smaller pilot (5'8, ~60kg). We were both complete novices, but it seemed to work okay once I gave up trying to steer and relaxed. Normally we use it with me on the front, and my 5 yr old on the back. That it can work at such extremes is a mark of how flexible the design is. We love ours. It would be the last bike I would sell.

2. Got it from Circe direct, albeit they are a shop too - http://www.biketobe.com/ They were ridiculously flexible re. build options.

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:53:14 pm »
Easy - reverse places. :)

There used to be a tandem pair from, I think, Southend way, who turned up regularly in Mallorca on Doug Petty's camp. She was much taller and generally bigger than him; so she went on the front. Seemed to work well all round.

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:44:19 pm »
How big/small?
I have a Thorn Adventure that you are welcome to try.
We are just moving back to UK from France, will be based in Rutland from end of November.

« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »
Thanks all.
We are in Southend. Size wise on normal road bike 48 and a 56.

« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2011, 05:47:49 pm »
A tandem generally works better with the heavier rider on the front. This is because the front rider, or ‘Captain’, is responsible
for stabilising the tandem when starting and stopping, for steering, and for braking which particularly on long descents can
be very demanding.

Therefore, I wouldn't advise you to go for the small captain, big stoker combination.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a Moulton-based tandem, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, and a Scott CR1 Comp.

« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:24:55 pm »
A tandem generally works better with the heavier rider on the front...

Yes, but there are sometimes good reasons, often to do with health and disability, to do it the other way. I have seen several successful partnerships with the heavier rider behind. A skilful pilot doesn't need a lot of muscle, even with an unruly stoker.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »
Early tandems tended to have the woman on the front.  Presumably so the stronger rider's power got more directly to the wheel.
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2011, 09:00:30 pm »
Early tandems tended to have the woman on the front.  Presumably so the stronger rider's power got more directly to the wheel.
I thought it was a 'ladies first' thing.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2011, 09:02:41 pm »
Easy - reverse places. :)

Unfortunately, this is not always possible.  It is a primary reason why I'm letting Margaret Hilda go.

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:09:22 pm »
I should point out the reason for the bigger person at the back would be a sight issue  :(
I feel really bad even thinking about what might happen, but we have both agreed we would like to carry on cycling if it happens. A tandem seemed the ideal choice.
Many thanks for the replies and advice.

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2011, 02:06:14 pm »
Tandem trikes and tandem recumbent trikes can be piloted by a smaller captain. :)
The cost can be prohibitive, although a long-barrow on ebay went for under £600 this week.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #18 on: 20 November, 2011, 09:03:17 am »
I do like the look of some trikes, a tandem trice would be lush, but storage and any transportation would be the killer.

« Reply #19 on: 20 November, 2011, 10:56:29 am »
I should point out the reason for the bigger person at the back would be a sight issue  :(
I feel really bad even thinking about what might happen, but we have both agreed we would like to carry on cycling if it happens. A tandem seemed the ideal choice.
Many thanks for the replies and advice.

I'm glad that you've posted this because this will be my/our scenario as my very limited sight is beginning to deteriorate anyway.

I have a plan to get a Pino Hase.   This will allow me to still cycle albeit accompanied and give control to my rear seat Captain. 

« Reply #20 on: 21 November, 2011, 10:21:27 pm »
I know a  couple who have  a custom Longstaff, he's 5'11 - but lightly built and on the back due to sight problems, shes's very small - they  manage  but starting is difficult. Interestingly the bike is very heavy for it's size, I think GL designed it to be as stiff  as  possible.

« Reply #21 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »
I pilot a blind mate around on a recumbent tandem, he's much taller than me and 5st heavier. As we are on 3 wheels I don't think the weight distribution is a big issue. We discussed me piloting an upright tandem, but neither of us was that keen. It is a major investment to get a recumbent tandem, but it does mean for him he can keep cycling.
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain