Author Topic: Anyone here make their own sausages?  (Read 2031 times)

gonzo

Anyone here make their own sausages?
« on: 17 January, 2010, 11:26:30 am »
The butcher I saw yesterday told me that it's very hard to come across skins these days. Is he right? Is there a solution?

Also, does anyone have any other tips? Recipies?

Julian

• samoture
Re: Anyone here make their own sausages?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:28:30 am »
I don't, but would like to try.  I found this site during an aspirational google a while ago, which also has links to places to buy casings.

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:38:59 am »
We attended a sossidge-making party recently. We used proper sheep-gut casings which I think our host had bought online - I'm seeing her this evening so I'll ask for the URL.

For tips - get a proper sausage making machine. Our host's was a fairly cheap and simple one that doubled as a mincer, and you simply removed the blade and attached a nozzle so stuff the casings.

Get lots of casings, and don't be afraid to sacrifice a few as you learn how to stuff them. It can take a while to get the knack.

Don't stick your finger in the mincer. It hurts.  :facepalm:

Fry up a little of the meat mix you're going to stuff the sausages with before stuffing and taste it. This allows you to adjust the flavour balance before committing yourself.

Look online for techniques concerning the blend of fatty meat versus lean. Our host had done her homework and was guiding us, but I can't remember exactly the recommendations.

As for recipes: beef, chocolate and chilli work well, but can be a bit dry if you're not careful. Otherwise, we had a curry-themed barbecue later that month (all kebabs had a curry marinade, the potato and rice salads were all to indian recipes, etc) and my friend made some nice lamb-lentil curry sausages.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:47:53 am »
I don't, but would like to try.  I found this site during an aspirational google a while ago, which also has links to places to buy casings.
Ta, I shall have a play and see how I get on!

We attended a sossidge-making party recently. We used proper sheep-gut casings which I think our host had bought online - I'm seeing her this evening so I'll ask for the URL.
A sausage party? Cool!

For tips - get a proper sausage making machine. Our host's was a fairly cheap and simple one that doubled as a mincer, and you simply removed the blade and attached a nozzle so stuff the casings.
I've already got a kenwood with mincing/sausage attachment though!

Don't stick your finger in the mincer. It hurts.  :facepalm:
There are times that it's clear that you're related to Nutty!

Look online for techniques concerning the blend of fatty meat versus lean. Our host had done her homework and was guiding us, but I can't remember exactly the recommendations.
That's where I went wrong the first time I tried with minced meat; no fat and very little flavour!

« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2010, 01:56:34 pm »
That's where I went wrong the first time I tried with minced meat; no fat and very little flavour!

We didn't use pre-minced meat - we used a lot of pork belly (areas with high Polish populations will usually stock this) and minced it ourself. We separated the lean meat, fatty meat and pure fat beforehand and minced it in separate batches. We then blended the required amounts of different fat-content-mince to produce sausage filling.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »
I'm with Otto von Bismarck on this one.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »
I have, with the Kenwood Chef attachment thingy. It's easy to underestimate how much fat you need...
I've done them with pork, beef, black pudding (black pudding sausages are yummy!), venison; added apples, leeks, chillis...
I've used both fake and real casings.
TBH it's a bit like making your own pasta. Yes it's nicer, but it's a right faff. I'd only bother again if I was making a huge batch to freeze, or trying to impress someone.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:47:23 am »
It's all in the grip, I suppose. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:07:23 am »
Sausage Making Supplies From Weschenfelder's | Weschenfelder Sausage Making is where my friend purchased her sausage skins.

And ver' nommy they were too! :thumbsup:

gonzo

« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:56:50 pm »
Ta for the link Kathy and everyone for the general tips!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2010, 09:19:32 pm »
It's easy to underestimate how much fat you need...

This is exactly the comment I was going to make. It may look like a lot of fat in the recipe but you need it or you will have unpalatably dry sausages.

And if you're concerned about eating that much fat, maybe best stick to salad rather than sausages.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2010, 08:51:42 am »
FiL makes his own. Slaughters the pig himself, too, though he no longer has any animals of his own - not even a single chicken, and we used to get all our eggs from them! I don't know what he uses for the casings, but I can ask on Wednesday!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2010, 03:30:57 pm »
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes