Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 1401 times)

asparagus
« on: 23 April, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »

First of the season ;D ;D ;D

Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »
Yep, I had the first 'bait' (Fen phase?) from my Sparrow-grass for supper last night.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:09:46 pm »
I just don't get asparagus sorry. I don't hate it I just don't see why people rave about it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2010, 06:23:59 pm »
I just don't get asparagus sorry. I don't hate it I just don't see why people rave about it.

We have had 'accidental' asparagus in our garden. It's often rather thin. I eat it raw straight from the plot.
I gave some to my Dad when he visited shortly after I moved here. He said it tasted like the asparagus of his childhood. It's tasty and tender; quite unlike the fibrous veg bought in shops.

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:02:25 am »

I think it's something to do with watching your companion putting something that vaguely resembles a willy in their mouth.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2010, 04:06:39 pm »

Because they like it? People rave about all sorts of things others aren't fussed about.

My dad's allotment is producing plenty of asparagus at the moment and it's great  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2010, 04:19:21 pm »

Because they like it? People rave about all sorts of things others aren't fussed about.

Absolutely. Each to his or her own. I  find it bland but am quite willing to accept that this is a failing of my taste buds and that others are entranced by the stuff.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »
It's not a failing of your taste buds - you're just not too keen on it. I was amazed at how many people hated so many food stuffs I love in that other thread.

But like you say - each to their own....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »
Good asparagus recipe:

preheat overn to 180 to 200 degrees
wash the spears and pat dry, leaving them damp
select a roasting tin a bit bigger than the spears
into the roasting tin, coat with olive oil, pepper and amybe some chopped garlic
drizzle with balsamic vinegar, or even better concentrated balsamic glaze
cooks for 10 minutes for thin speaers or tips, fifteen for big fat ones
Nom. With hollandaise sauce and/or a poached egg if you like.

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:57:17 pm »

My dad's allotment is producing plenty of asparagus at the moment and it's great  :thumbsup:
I think it's also one of the few vegetables that is still really seasonal - any you get out of season is almost inedible. It has a fairly short season, so it's exciting to see it back.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:14:21 am »
The asparagus farm I pass on my commute had opened their little field-corner shop as of this morning  :).

Looking forward to supper tonight!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »

You've obviously never grown your own. Fresh out of the ground, it tastes wonderful, like nothing else. I don't bother with supermarket asparagus because it doesn't come close.

Strawberries are the same - South American air-freighted strawberries in January? No thanks. But fresh, ripe strawberries grown on the allotment and eaten within an hour of picking? Heaven on earth.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2010, 02:46:00 pm »
Asparagus Next Left?  Dangerous...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime