Author Topic: Arborio rice  (Read 955 times)

Arborio rice
« on: 14 July, 2010, 07:49:47 am »
About 3 years ago I bought 2x 20kg sacks of basmati rice for about 35GBP, when I found recently that the end of the 2nd bag had gone off I used up a small packet of arborio rice my ex had used to make a risotto, and I have to say I was impressed, it melts down into a gloopy starch that seems a really usuable source of energy, rather than be a bit chewy and bitty like other sorts of rice.  And soaks up the liquid so can take a batch of "green curry risotto" to work easily, too.  Anybody else swear by it?  Also looking for a source for bulk buy as it's expensive.

Re: Arborio rice
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:50:27 am »
I'm a big risotto fan - not curried tho'.

Having an allotment, I usually add lots of lightly cooked fresh veg to the rice, herbs, cooked bacon and a little cheese.

Currently paying about £1.50 a kilo for arborio rice. I used to get it for free when I did an evening job in a rice packaging factory.

BTW, although rice will only have a years worth of BBE date, it keeps longer than that if stored cool & dry. Basmati rice is supposed to mature and be at it's best after 5 years (or so I was told by the company)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:55:49 am »
Arborio is fine for risotto, but the cognoscenti would use Carnarolli or Vialone Nano...

Making risotto with ordinary rice is like trying to make an espresso with instant coffee.  :hand:

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2010, 09:09:20 am »
Arborio is fine for risotto, but the cognoscenti would use Carnarolli or Vialone Nano...

Making risotto with ordinary rice is like trying to make an espresso with instant coffee.  :hand:

Agreed Carnaroli is better, but more expensixe than arborio.  Neither is really that expensive though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2010, 09:37:02 am »
TBH, I can't really see much difference in the 3, they all make good risotto.