Author Topic: Awesome BBQ  (Read 1644 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Awesome BBQ
« on: 27 July, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »
BBQs seem to have been on steroids since I last bought one. I wandered into B&Q and was awetruck by the huge outdoor kitchens in display.  Some of these beasts look like they need to be connected to a main gas pipeline. I quite like a bit of kit and its clear that the BBQ has become a serious man-status thing.
I blame 4X4's which must have something to do with it. And decking.
The ones I liked best were the big stone built in jobs with chimneys. I could really piss next door off with one of those.  I think i woudl build it myself though from bricks rather than buy the kit for £500-£1k.
Anyone on here the proud owner of one of those behemoths?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Awesome BBQ
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2012, 03:07:04 pm »
House bricks and some metal doormats.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »
This evening, a corner of an Oxfordshire field which is a collection of disposable barbecues, from Co-op, Asda, hardware shop and Tesco, working together to feed human and red kite alike...
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:09:29 pm »
Half an oil drum and some grating.  It's the only way to be sure.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
BBQs seem to have been on steroids since I last bought one. I wandered into B&Q and was awetruck by the huge outdoor kitchens in display.  Some of these beasts look like they need to be connected to a main gas pipeline. I quite like a bit of kit and its clear that the BBQ has become a serious man-status thing.
I blame 4X4's which must have something to do with it. And decking.

You should see the car-park of a US sports stadium during an event.

It's all massive pick-up trucks with giant BBQs hanging off the back, cooking steaks that come off some giant GM cow-like organism.

Yes, before, during and after the game, they indulge in a car-park based face-stuffing frenzy.
Where Bigger is Better.

Bigger truck, bigger BBQ, bigger steak.
Compensating for something?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:36:23 pm »
Half an oil drum and some grating.  It's the only way to be sure.

Not an angle grinder?
It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:52:35 pm »
The oil drum and angle grinder approach went a bit wrong for some poor sod over the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19035426

Meanwhile, on a happier note, a chap goes into B & Q to buy some bricks.

"I'd like to buy 20000 bricks" he says to the assistant "I'm building a barbecue"

"You don't need 20000 bricks for a barbecue" says the helpful assistant.

"You do if you live on the 21st floor"

<badoom, and indeed,  tish>

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:22:13 am »
The ones I liked best were the big stone built in jobs with chimneys. I could really piss next door off with one of those.  I think i would build it myself though from bricks rather than buy the kit for £500-£1k.
Anyone on here the proud owner of one of those behemoths?
I don't own one but have used them several times when gites I have rented in France came thus equipped. They are brilliant. The chimney means you get a good draw so that the charcoal burns well and evenly. You do need a couple of spare brisks and some mesh in case your charcoal turns out to be very small bits. You can then put the charcoal on the mesh to let air get under it.
The French ones are much cheaper then you can but here. I have seen kits for £120 in French shops. They are made of breeze block like material that the French then render over.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »
House bricks and some metal doormats.

Aren't these mats often galvanised? If so, remember not to stand downwind when the zinc starts vapourising.