Author Topic: Soy milk and cooking.  (Read 1519 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Soy milk and cooking.
« on: 26 August, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »
Has anyone tried cooking with soya milk?  I'd like to make a quiche and wondered if I could use soya milk but worried about the milk splitting.  Anyone have any experience of cooking with soya milk? 

Re: Soy milk and cooking.
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2016, 03:17:05 pm »
I find it 'splits' even in coffee. It would be interesting how you get on. How about hemp milk?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2016, 06:05:21 pm »
The kitchen chemist in me wonders if this is a pH-dependent phenomenon and might experiment with lemon juice and bicarb to see if this alters things...

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »
I find it 'splits' even in coffee. It would be interesting how you get on. How about hemp milk?

I find it splits (curdles) only in coffee. It's absolutely fine in quiches, white sauce and even custard. In dishes where flavours are subtle or 'creamy', such as trifle, the beany taste can show through, which is a bit of an acquired taste but it behaves pretty much like dairy milk in my experience.

lou boutin

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »
Thank you everyone for your comments.  I'm just off into the kitchen to make my quiche.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2016, 08:50:17 pm »
Yes, soya milk is fine for most cooking or sauces. Probably best not to use sweetened soya milk or vanilla flavour etc, would make a strange tasting quiche.
Depends on the quiche recipe, you could use blended tofu instead. That could give a thicker/creamier texture.

For coffee, it depends on what sort of coffee, and what sort of soya milk. Some curdle, some don't. Instant coffee is much more likely to curdle than proper coffee.

lou boutin

« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2016, 05:12:36 pm »
Yes, soya milk is fine for most cooking or sauces. Probably best not to use sweetened soya milk or vanilla flavour etc, would make a strange tasting quiche.
Depends on the quiche recipe, you could use blended tofu instead. That could give a thicker/creamier texture.

For coffee, it depends on what sort of coffee, and what sort of soya milk. Some curdle, some don't. Instant coffee is much more likely to curdle than proper coffee.

Thanks for this.  I'm using unsweetened. I'll give tofu a go too.  I've only ever eaten tofu when out, when I try cooking with it, it always end up tasting like plastic bags!!