Author Topic: Build your own map, on-line  (Read 980 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Build your own map, on-line
« on: 08 March, 2013, 04:20:41 pm »
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Simply drag your mouse over the tiles you want and, when your map is ready, download if from the website. I've just generated one for the UK, Benelux and Northern France. 1.5Gb. Very impressive.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Build your own map, on-line
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2013, 04:26:11 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Brilliant! Hopefully it will be a bit more upto date than the Garmin Europe ones I have on my 705, thus will be able to tell me that I REALLY REALLY can't ride down the C-15 in Spain!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »
I've just done one for a ride I'm doing next weekend from my place going north, it's two tiles worth which covers about 50 miles.  I've got 48 minutes to wait for the map as I'm 8th in the queue.

I can wait that long! 
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2013, 04:49:19 pm »
I've been using one from that site (I selected UK and Benelux tiles) since entering the world of GPS units at Christmas.   It looks good on the unit, and I've certainly found no problem areas so far in the UK on it.

I tend not to use turn-by-turn routing on the unit though, preferring to choose my own route in advance and create a track of it and follow (navigate to) that track instead.

I also loaded the talkytoaster maps of the UK (routable with contours and their OS 50k style map).  I also like the look of those, but the OS look and feel one is not as good for cycling (roads a bit thin, too much extraneous detail) as the non-OS look and feel version.  The OS look and feel version is great for walking though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2013, 04:54:03 pm »
Yes, its a very useful website.
Note if you choose one of the predefined countries (eg the whole of the UK), then you can usually download the map straight away, without having to enter an email address.

Also I recommend the option for the 'Mapnik' TYP file. This makes the map style look a lot nicer, both in BaseCamp and on the device.

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2013, 04:59:11 pm »
Ditto been using ever since I entered the GPS world - can recommend the openfietsmap version as I posted a while ago - shows cycleroutes very clearly which can be particularly useful with often dodgy/non existent signage. Was impressed a while ago to see that some very very recent cycleroutes in Italy are already on there. I tend to only download tiles I need though as noted above this is slower.