Author Topic: Goosegogs  (Read 1383 times)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Goosegogs
« on: 27 June, 2010, 10:24:25 pm »
We have a gooseberry bush, which this year has surpassed itself, and today was relieved of >9kg of fruit.   :o

Sadly, I'm not that keen on goosegogs.  Mr shifty likes them in crumbles, and a couple of other people we know will get some, but very few people seem to like them these days:  That still leaves substantially more than we can comfortably fit in the freezer.

After a bit of umming and aahing, we came to the conclusion that the only real use for umpty-ump kilos of gooseberries is to mash them in a polythene tub, with a couple of gallons of water and sugar, and some yeast.  In about a week I'll move the must into demijohns, and sometime about the end of August they'll be ready to rack and start clearing.

This time next year, we should have a dozen or so bottles to sample.   :D

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Goosegogs
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2010, 09:05:59 am »
Inspired!  :thumbsup:

<Ford Prefect>

I'm not touching another drop of your filthy elderflower stuff until we're safely off this planet . . .

</Ford Prefect>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2010, 09:09:25 am »
I hate gooseberries.  I've never liked eating the sour hairy little things.  And I hated having to pick them off the prickly bushes when I was a kid.

But I have to admit that my dad's gooseberry wine was good.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2010, 11:37:19 am »
Lunch last weekend: Smoked mackerel, gooseberry jelly, horseradish and soda bread. Divine. The tartness of gooseberry jelly is a perfect foil to the oily fish.

I had that in a restaurant and don't know that I'd be up to recreating it, but gooseberry sauce is easy to make and equally good with smoked mackerel.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:29:40 am »
We've had a bumper crop of gooseberries this year as well. They're wonderful! We've made a load of jam, eaten lots of crumbles and there's still plenty in the freezer. Our three bushes' yield was similar to Redshift's on a per-bush basis.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2010, 12:45:29 pm »
As wildlife vermin eat anything everything I plant attempt to grow have in my garden clearing, I've had to buy gooseberries.

But we have jelly.  :) Nom.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »
I love gooseberries. Just don't see 'em in the shops anymore.  :-\

Gonna buy me a bush!!   :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2010, 01:41:21 pm »
I love gooseberries. Just don't see 'em in the shops anymore.  :-\

Gonna buy me a bush!!   :thumbsup:

Local fruit barrow sells them in small punnets for £2 a go!   Love them, but they seem very hard to find in useful quantity unless you grow your own, and that's not really an option in a 4th floor flat!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark