Author Topic: Pencil fetish  (Read 71756 times)

Re: Pencil fetish
« Reply #75 on: 10 April, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »
a bit off-thread, but triggered by marcusjb and Kim and blades.

At Liverpool Art School we were heartily discouraged from carrying knives, because students had been (allegedly)  in the habit of putting Stanley Knives in their pockets.

With predictable results. It was claimed that 90% of accidents on the premises  were caused thus.

« Reply #76 on: 10 April, 2012, 02:49:10 pm »
Ah, I was 11, the class was English, and the priority at the time was to staunch the flow and reassemble the incriminating pencil sharpener while somehow avoiding the teacher noticing.  The school was in the middle of penknife hysteria, so the risk from getting caught was far greater than that of the injury itself.  Fortunately the girl with bad hayfever on the next table had a copious supply of tissues...

Hmm, I used to have a wart on my forefinger. (Look away now Hellymedic). I no longer have it (the wart, not the finger) due to careful self-surgery using the blade from a pencil sharpener during a lesson.

Chris N

« Reply #77 on: 10 April, 2012, 03:14:24 pm »
I have always preferred pencils to pens for notes & scribbles at work & home. Like Staedtler, but recently invested in a Rotring Rapid Pro 0.7mm; fully retractable, sprung point so no more breakages & gets more use out of leads. Lovely.

I got given a pair of Rapid Pros - a ball point and a 0.7mm pencil - for my birthday.  They're lovely and heavy and look perfectly industrial. :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »
I am currently enjoying a new brand of pencil - the Tombow (and I'm not making this up) Homo-Graph.  They're Japanese and rather lovely (if a little too easy to wear down).  I generally prefer a harder pencil, anyway.  Here's the Homo-Graph in a rather fetching F grade:

My pencil pot this morning:

And here's a little comparison of my current pencil lineup:

I know, I have a problem  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #79 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
Oh, I love Fs!  Hard to get hold of them, though. :(
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #80 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »
On this side of the Wall, the use of pencils for notes- the making of Official Issue Pocket Note Book entries of is this- Not Allowed. Pencil can be erased. Ink Black is the required material.

« Reply #81 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »
I do love your handwriting, Charlotte!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:04:16 pm »
Oh, I love Fs!  Hard to get hold of them, though. :(

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Faber-Castell_9000_Pencils.html#a5496

As little as 95p each to you, Sir   ;)

On this side of the Wall, the use of pencils for notes- the making of Official Issue Pocket Note Book entries of is this- Not Allowed. Pencil can be erased. Ink Black is the required material.

I thought you were required to carry a pencil so you could lick it first?

Thank you - I think you're the first person to ever say something like that  :)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #83 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:11:13 pm »
Addendum:

My name is Charlotte and I seem to have a lot of time on my hands.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #84 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:17:11 pm »
All that printed writing looks like you have spent time marking up P&IDs with equipment tags, line numbers etc.  ;)

Even with practise my writing is not that neat.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:31:47 pm »
Addendum:

My name is Charlotte and I seem to have a lot of time on my hands.

Not really; I just seem to spend too much time on seemingly interminable conference calls with Business Development people.  I don't do engineering any more, just an endless series of little chats and quite a lot of time editing other people's shockingly bad narratives.  Hence the pencils.

All that printed writing looks like you have spent time marking up P&IDs with equipment tags, line numbers etc.  ;)

Ha!  However good SmartPlant P&ID gets, there will still be the need for the Red Pencil Of Doom  :D

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #86 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:14:51 pm »
Bloody hell woman, you've got me looking at my pencils at work now!

1 chewed-at-the-end A W Faber SKO… (the rest of the word is chewed off). Yellow in colour.

1 W H Smith HB (coloured blue)

1 Derwent Graphic 2H pencil. Black colour with a very racy red band near the end (not business end!)

1 Eagle VERITHIN Black 747. Also coloured black.

My God, this is fun!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #87 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:30:42 pm »

Pure graphite, 4B

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:35:39 pm »
*swoon*

« Reply #89 on: 30 August, 2013, 07:41:56 pm »
I have a thing about Staedtler Mars Lumographs, especially in 8B; as black as black can be.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #90 on: 02 September, 2013, 08:45:02 am »

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #91 on: 01 November, 2013, 10:20:55 pm »
Oh joy, oh joy, oh joy!   :D :D :D

Look what I found at the London Graphic Centre today:

No, no - not pretty silver rimfire cartridges (although, I'll grant you they look a bit like them)

They are, in fact...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #92 on: 01 November, 2013, 10:57:43 pm »
I prefer a mechanical pencil. Currently using a Lamy Econ 0.7 with my preferred 2B lead. I have lots though, current favourites are the Pentel Kerry and the Zebra M-301. The Zebra is an amazing pencil for the price (about £4) . I see they have just released a 0.7 M-301 as well, one more for the collection I think.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #93 on: 02 November, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
Oh joy, oh joy, oh joy!   :D :D :D

Look what I found at the London Graphic Centre today:

No, no - not pretty silver rimfire cartridges (although, I'll grant you they look a bit like them)

They are, in fact...

(click to show/hide)

A wee bit of genius!  Many's the time I've reached for a pencil, only to find the tip missing.

Now, I need to clear out all the crappy old pretend writing instruments, and get myself an F.
Getting there...

« Reply #94 on: 02 November, 2013, 04:18:52 pm »
A wee bit of genius!  Many's the time I've reached for a pencil, only to find the tip missing.

and that's one of the reasons I like mechanical pencils :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 02 November, 2013, 06:51:14 pm »
They have the wrong feel.
Getting there...

« Reply #96 on: 03 November, 2013, 01:59:00 pm »
Bring back clutch pencils is what I say....... :-X
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
Another little object of desire:

It came in the post this morning.  It's an M+R 'grenade' brass sharpener from the very lovely Paddy at www.topcolorsharpeners.com

I actually bought it on eBay, and it came with 2 Spare Blades and a lovely handwritten card telling me about the new website.  You don't really expect such a personal level of attention when you spend three quid on a sharpener, do you?

But how does it sharpen?  Well, I'm spoiled by having a rotary burr sharpener on my desk and I very much like the long, elegant points that I get from it.  The M+R sharpener isn't quite up to that sort of level, but it produces a very acceptable point and because it's orifice is a little larger than the average pencil diameter, you can actually vary the result by moving the pencil off centre towards the blade for a finer point.  Here's a comparision:

On the left is a lovely new Staedtler Norris H, sharpened with a desk machine.  On the right is a cheaper no-name office pencil, sharpened with the M+R.  As you can see, it's not as smooth, nor as pointed - but it's still very usable and there's a whole new aesthetic to be had from using a little hand held sharpener.

As soon as I've worn down a few points on my nicer pencils, I'll use the new one on those, but I can't quite bring myself to sharpen an expensive pencil for no reason.  I suspect that the nicer wood in a higher quality pencil will sharpen better, anyway.  In the meantime, I'm trying to resist also buying an M+R triple cone special purpose sharpener.  Mmmmm.

« Reply #98 on: 06 November, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »
A DUX Sharpener..... sheesh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wP5WykafU

If I get through the day without clicking "buy" it will NOT be thanks to you.

http://www.topcolorsharpeners.com/products/s1-tgaal-multi-sharpener looks rather desirable, too.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: 06 November, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »
Yeah, I know - the T'Gaal looks pretty sweet, too.  Also (and I think this is why I like it so much) it sounds like a hot, slightly dykey Klingon science officer  :D