Author Topic: How far do you commute?  (Read 5349 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
How far do you commute?
« on: 11 December, 2018, 06:09:44 pm »
Currently commuting 3 / 4 days a week, at between 40-50 km each day, depending on how I feel. I Take the Landrover maybe once a week /  2 weeks, to get building materials.  Seems easy, and  not really tiring, mostly quiet lanes, canal path.  How far do you commute?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: How far do you commute?
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:16:57 pm »
Since moving office, I'm doing between 30 and 40k ( depending on the route I take ) commuting pretty much every day.
A bit of a change from my previous commute of 60k each way with a HBFO hill in the middle, which I only aspired to do twice a week, and didn't often manage that.

I also do between 20 and 30k each lunchtime, usually with a faster group.
Except in the last few weeks I've been doing a 7k run through the woods on alternate lunchtimes.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:17:32 pm »
about 45 yards, bedroom to living room to kitchen to office.

Depends how many laps I do for extra coffee

Or it could be several thousand miles
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:25:50 pm »
Just under 6 miles each way. Every working day bar 3 so far this year, I think.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:30:43 pm »
~30 miles per day (round trip).
Recently, having scored free travel on TfL, on account of being from the 16th century, has made cycling a bit questionable when the weather is shite inclement.
ETA -  Of my ~15 miles (one way) around 8 miles is traffic-lite / traffic free. Which for London (or any other big city) I think isn't too bad.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:50:24 pm »
15km each way on the most convenient / least rainy day of the week. Also try to cycle to site visits when it's practical.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #6 on: 11 December, 2018, 07:25:13 pm »
Only in the office two days a week.

Cycle in, train home after 5-a-side and pub.
Run in (or train if too hungover), Cycle home.

11.5km so it's 23km cycling a week and 11.5km running a week (when I'm not lazy and take the train).

Cycling fitness is certainly a long way down from when I used to do 11.5km * 2 * 5 = 115km / week.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:03:57 pm »
The longest regular commute I did was a few years ago, from home in East London (near Ilford) to West London (by Heathrow), about 45 - 50Km each way, about 3 - 4 days a week. These days? 0. And my waistline shows it. Go on, ask me how many traffic lights. Guess. I counted one day.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:35:14 pm »
I used to do about 30 miles each way. On the rare occasions I need to go to the office these days, I just drive. (No direct trains or buses - otherwise I'd do that). The problem I found was that although I loved the morning commute, at the end of a long, boring day at the office dealing with wankers, I just wanted to get home and I never enjoyed the ride back. In fact it got so bad that I started to associate cycling with working for arseholes, so when it came to the weekend I just didn't want to go out on the bike. So I packed in the commuting game, then I was able to enjoy evening and weekend rides much more....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:36:14 pm »
11 miles each way either four or five times a week all year round. About 70 sets of lights on the route.

It does mean I don't have a great appetite for cycling at weekends.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:01:47 pm »
So far this year 35 miles daily over 192 commuting days.(Taking direct routes would be 17 mpd).

« Reply #11 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:12:54 pm »
11 miles each way either four or five times a week all year round. About 70 sets of lights on the route.

Funny, that.....

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:30:55 pm »
At least 20km each way, 5 days a week (unless I get lazy).  The direct route is around 15-16km, but not as pleasant as my longer route.  Sometimes I extend one leg by up to 10km.  No idea how many traffic lights, but it's fewer than it used to be thanks to CS2&3.

ETA
Did a typical commute today: 43.6km, 158 traffic lights.  On the way in, 93 lights in 22.5km, on the way home, 65 lights in 21.1km.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:37:26 pm »
Currently 10 miles each way, every day. When it's light in the evening it's 12.5 miles each way.

The silver shopper is holding its own and I'm enjoying it.

« Reply #14 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:56:22 pm »

And, whilst I know this next bit doesn't belong here, I thought it worthy of note that my new bike (in 2008) clicked through 25,000 miles this year, and that's on the original, untouched 105 hubs, which are still as smooth as butter. Well, until yesterday, when the freehub was making so much noise I had to swap the wheel.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15 on: 12 December, 2018, 08:05:39 am »
Currently 10 miles each way, every day. When it's light in the evening it's 12.5 miles each way.

The silver shopper is holding its own and I'm enjoying it.

Did we ever get to see a picture of it?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #16 on: 12 December, 2018, 08:38:13 am »
Originally 30 miles per day 5 days a week.
Then dropped to a 4 day week and did 30-35 miles per day.
Went part time 4 years ago -> 35 mpd 3 days a week.
Now retired as of 3 months ago and have substituted about 100-120 miles per week leisure riding in the Peaks for the commute....  :)

« Reply #17 on: 12 December, 2018, 08:41:12 am »
18km each way 5 days a week. Like others I find it affects my weekend cycling mojo and there can be a negative association, I've gone someway to fixing the latter by not riding the best bike much for commuting. I know hope the mojo will come back in the spring, it usually does, before dropping off in the summer when I just feel sluggish. TL's - 15 in and 16 home which is pretty good for a commute into the centre of the city. 

« Reply #18 on: 12 December, 2018, 10:04:33 am »
It's 22km to the stinkier site, if the bridge is running, 28km if it's not and 32km if I get to it before finding it's not running.
It's also a net descent of more than 150m which means the return journey is a rarity.
16km (18; 20) to the less stinky site, but just as much descent.

I've got a dual carriageway to negotiate on the return that now gives me panic attacks, so I very very rarely make it home entirely under my own steam. It's usually train and then Mr Smith assist, occasionally just Mr Smith assist and even more occasionally a hike-a-bike along the bridleways and footpaths.

I've never had a full house of 10. My job requires too much energy. The commute home isn't zen enough for me to clear work out of my head on the way home, it's just an added stressor. It's just too urban, I suppose. Traffic lights? 6 sets? more if I have to use the Newport Bridge.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 13 December, 2018, 07:02:51 pm »

7.5km each way, give or take. I've been trying to put a training ride in after work, so the ride home is often upto 50k. I'd like to get to the point where I can do 100km after work. It's mostly a question of the amount of time 100km takes...

On windy days I also tow 1 or 2 of my colleagues for some of the ride home (one holding each backpack strap), it's a good work out...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 13 December, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »
Previous commute was 14km with 126m of climb and 74m of descent pleasantly taking in the bridgehead villages followed by the riverside esplanade before climbing A+E brae into the Bus turning circle at the hospital, would try to do it 2 or 3 times a week. A solitary puffin crossing on route.

Moved to another office, 10km, 135m of climb and 63m of descent, pleasant bridgehead village bimble still present but then it's straight up one of the busiest roads in town with 8 sets of traffic lights of various types on route. Think I did it 4 or 5 times before I decided it wasn't worth it.

I was one of the few happy with the idea of moving to a newer building with better facilities in the hospital grounds because the cycle would actually be enjoyable.

« Reply #21 on: 13 December, 2018, 09:02:16 pm »
No regular commute these days, alas; back in Cambridge I was doing 10-12km a day into work and back, plus whatever trips from work into town for errands etc. Occasionally I'd take the tourer into work rather than the Dutch bike and would do a long loop (30-40km) home.

When we moved, my switch to freelance WFH meant I didn't have a regular commute any more, but what with playgroups, nursery drop-offs, and general errands, I was doing between 100 and 150km a week on a bakfiets, which was good training...

These days I do maybe 20km a week utility cycling, but the vast majority of my distance is leisure riding. I'm hoping that if and when I get another FT job it will be (possibly train-assisted) cyclo-commute-friendly. Depending on location that might be an excuse to build a towpath-oriented utility bike (old rigid MTB with rack and guards?), as I don't really fancy dealing with the moton-infested main roads of the West Mids, especially in rush hour.

« Reply #22 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:25:32 pm »
37 miles each way per day. But most of that is by train with a Brompton ;D

I generally ride 6-10 miles a day of it, total. But occasionally (mostly when there's more light), I ride all the way home, just for the fun of it. Yes, on the Brompton, because mostly I don't decide till it's nearly time to go home.

« Reply #23 on: 14 December, 2018, 08:41:15 am »
Zero miles as now long retired and haven't even slung my ass over the top tube since August. Many years ago I did 43k each way every day for years and got very fit but also very tired and wondered why I could not win many races. Gave up when I moved to take up a life of debauchery which was also very timely as the road was upgraded to almost motorway status making it quite unpleasant. There was a climb at the end of the morning ride which I used on the way home to look for trucks with a registration local to my destination so I could latch on for a motor paced fast ride home.

« Reply #24 on: 18 December, 2018, 11:36:33 pm »
About 1.2km in total... hard to complain but I wish it were a bit further, so at least I had an excuse to ride!